Analog Poly synths

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Allthesound, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Allthesound

Allthesound Member

Just curious who here is using them regularly and which ones.

2. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

There are a couple of Deepmind owners here, as well as Minilogue.

I have a Volca Keys which is 3-voice paraphonic - so, not polyphonic in the truest sense - but chords are possible.

Allthesound likes this.
  3. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere Member

I used to own a DeepMind, it's a great Juno-esque thing. Effects and mod routing makes it a killer board for the money. I would highly recommend it, even the DM6 if you're looking to cheaply get into synthesis. I sold it because I realised I make more synth sounds with a guitar and pedals than I do with a synth... couldn't justify having it lying around. So I sold it.

Now I'm borrowing a Sub 32 from a friend, and having fun needing only two fingers to play paraphonically...

If I were to buy another poly, I'd probably get a Prophet Rev2. Or even a Prophet 08, since they can be had so cheap right now, and just pile on some effects.

Allthesound likes this.
  4. Robleishman

Robleishman Member

I use a Taurus 3 and a korg minilogue a lot... my main synth is a microkorg for some reason.

Allthesound likes this.
  5. rsm

rsm Member

Korg Minilogue; mostly use digital or hybrid (JD-Xi) synths

thecornman and Allthesound like this.
  6. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

I've got a dave smith OB-6 and prophet 08 REV2. REV2 is a great bread and butter synth, and the ob-6 just has so much character and vibe to it. They're a great pair and complement each other very well. Love both.

Allthesound likes this.
  7. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

I have an oberheim ob8, arturia matrixbrute, and akai timbrewolf.

Toowoombaus and Allthesound like this.
  8. Allthesound

Allthesound Member

Haven't spent much time with the Deepmind i tried one for a bit at GC a while back it is kinda cool. I have a few poly synths already not really looking for one at the moment but was more curious than anything to see what analogs others are using here.
    I currently have a Prophet Rev2 , a Roland Juno 60 , a Roland MKS-70 and a Korg DSS-1 for poly synths, for mono i have a pair of Behringer Model D's

Toowoombaus and thatguyoverthere like this.
  9. Allthesound

Allthesound Member

I had a minilogue for a while its a cool synth, i sold it when i got my Prophet and kept my Microkorg. I just can't seem to part with it.

10. Allthesound

Allthesound Member

Nice i love the Rev2 , i have not had a opportunity to try the OB-6 yet , no one around here has them to demo. probably a good thing because i have a feeling if i played one i would have to have it. :)

11. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I had a Minilogue. Downgraded to a Monologue when they came out. I just wasnt using the polyphony. I love the analog sound, digital control setup on those. I have some very convincing analog vst synths, but having an outboard with a nice labeled knob array is such a sweet experience. Obviously, I could set up a midi controller for that but thats an extra complication and then there is latency.

Minilogue/Monologue, I have a track to overdub. Im like 5 seconds away from making a new sound thatll work and tweaking aspects of it as im playing. Raised my productivity.

12. Allthesound

Allthesound Member

Sweet the OB8 is a classic! The Matrixbrute is a beast! nice pairing!

13. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

I have a Juno 106. It’s a magical instrument. I would also like a good knobby dual oscillator poly. Someday I’ll spring for a used Prophet 08.

14. Modulator

Modulator Member

Mostly newer polys for me.
    DSI Rev2 (16 voices)
    DSI Evolver w/ Rackmounted PolyEvolver (5 voices total)
    DSI OB-6
    DSI P12

But I'm curious about the Korg, the Modal poly synths, and on the fence about the Sequential Prophet-X

15. williamh

How do you like the Prophet12? I've really been wanting one for less conventional sounds. I've got the rev2 and ob6. Does it cover enough different ground to be worth getting as well?

16. Modulator

Modulator Member

Depends on what you mean by unconventional. The P12 is great for FM/AM sounds, and covers a lot of similar ground as the Rev2. So much so that I've been thinking about getting rid of the Rev2. Why the Rev2? I like the digital hybrid nature of the P12. It reminds me a lot of the Pro2, which might be my favorite DSI synth. If you want more metallic, feedback fed on the verge of chaos sounds, I think the Evolvers are closer to that. The Evolver feels wilder and less tame than the P12. The Evolver was my first DSI synth, so I'm sure there's me bias there on my behalf.

Unless you're looking now, maybe hold off to see if a P-X shows up in desktop/more affordable form? I think if they do the firmware right on it, it could be everything I like about DSI synths in one place (minus the Pro2's sequencer).

If you get a chance try out a P12, I'm finding that I use the Rev2 less and less as I use the P12 more and more.

17. Devnor

Devnor Member

The analog VA in the Kronos is very good, I use the Jupiter 80 constantly and I'm addicted to Roland cloud System 8 and Jupiter plugins. Kronos is deep, very deep but programming is a chore. What's missing is a great control surface. I would like to have a P12 or OB6 but I'm trying to get away from more keyboards in the studio. Prophet X is my next synth then that Kronos can go bye bye.

Modulator and dsimon665 like this.
  18. Stokely

Stokely Member

(Way) back in the day I had a Roland JX10 and Korg Poly 800 as my rig..suffice it to say piano and organ were pitiful but synth was great!

These days at home I'm all software; the band I play gigs with is classic rock with little synth. If that changed, I'd certainly consider one again. I have to say that it would have a big job to be better than the Virus b I had for a while for an earlier band...not "analog" but damn it sure sounded and played nice!

Toowoombaus likes this.
  19. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

I have some old stuff Yamaha CS-80 , Roland JP8 and a Moog Source.

20. williamh

jeeeeeeeezes. You are sitting on a goldmine my friend.

I dream of owning a Jupiter-8 one day, but their prices just keep getting more and more out of hand.