Analog SS showdown - Orange CR60 vs Vox AV60

PatriotBadger

So I'm entertaining one of these two, to see if they can satisfy me to the point that I can get rid of some tube amps. These two are the most interesting to me, two analog SS 'British' amps made in China, with some interesting features. I want zero-maintenance with the ability to get loud enough for jams.

AV60 - Two channels, each with 8 discreet analog circuits replicating classic amps. Online demos are fairly horrible (especially the Vox ones) but owners say good things. Three digital effects (mod, verb, delay). Effects loop. Completely weird 3-ohm speaker makes full-power speaker swaps impossible. No recall or modeling stuff, just twist the knobs and go. Cannot find one locally. Anywhere. Ever. Thus impossible to audition.

CR60 - Two channels, no effects. Sounds like a modern Orange, which to my ears is a pretty good thing. Well constructed and appears that it could take a beating. Normal ohm ratings so I could experiment with speakers if desired. Effects loop. Simple turn the knobs and go. Presumably less versatile and flexible than the Vox. Expensive for what it is. You can throw a stick and hit one, so they are easy to find anywhere and audition.

What to do? Anyone played either or both and provide some tidbits?

Vibroluxman

I've played the vox in a store a couple of times. Not a fan. Believe the sound from the online videos. Never really plugged into Orange amps for some reason.

mlj_gear

Completely weird 3-ohm speaker makes full-power speaker swaps impossible
It's solid-state. You could almost certainly use a 4-ohm speaker without any problems and with only a very minor loss in maximum volume. That's really weird (and lame) that they spec'd a 3-ohm speaker, though. I almost wonder whether it's a typo in the manual that got transferred to marketing material: could be 8-ohms.

Trending Topics