Analog Stereo Chorus Pedal?

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
I've had the MXR M-134 stereo chorus for over 15 years. I was wondering if there are suggestions for something newer and better (I know "better" is subjective). I see Toneczar makes one and after buying his Stereo Tremolo, this had my interest but it's not an inexpensive pedal.

I'd appreciate suggestions and opinions on the Tonezcar as well as other analog stereo chorus pedals.

Oinkus

No idea , had mine longer than that and it is not ever leaving one of my boards ? No such thing as better but there certainly could be pedals you might prefer the sound of that cost a lot more money.

T00DEEPBLUE

The M-134 is an absolutely amazing chorus and all its controls are highly usable so its very difficult to make a true recommendation tbh. It simply does what it does tremendously well.

T00DEEPBLUE

Boss CE-2w. Walrus Audio Julianna.
I've owned both of these pedals and the MXR as well.

To be honest for a lush chorus tone I just keep going back to the M134. The Boss CE-2W is also very good but it isn't as flexible with pedal placement. It isn't able to take the effects loop of my ENGL Savage Mark 2 without clipping. The MXR has way more headroom because of the 18v power so it takes a hotter signal like a champ. The bass, treble and bass filter switch on the MXR are very useful features the Boss lacks.

The Julianna was a miserable experience to be honest. Not only was it utterly unusable in the loop of the Savage, but the chorus effect was pretty weak and anaemic in general. It didn't have the low end power of either the Boss or the MXR and it sucked treble out of my guitar signal, both when on and off. It's a pretty-looking pedal with useful features but those features are wasted when the pedal is so tonally lacking. I returned it a week later after trying everything I could to make it work.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
I have the MXR, too, but I miss my old Ibanez CS-505. I know, it's even older, but boy does it sound great.

One of the two best choruses I've owned. I built a rev-engineered clone of the CS-505 with true bypass and the volume level is pretty much unity with the bypassed signal.
FWIW, I truly believe the Maxon PAC9 (Pure Analog Chorus) is a modern version of the CS-505, but with toggle switches for brightness and volume adjustment.

Long time owner of an MXR 134 Stereo Chorus. I go between that, and a TC Electronic SCF pedal. That is also exceptional in Stereo.

lions571

Silver Supporting Member
I have the MXR, too, but I miss my old Ibanez CS-505. I know, it's even older, but boy does it sound great.
I am a fan of the CS505 / CS-505 & CS-550. I absolutely love my CS-550 , just wish it was a little smaller and the mix knob was bigger and on top. I did just get a SA Gemini to try out, waiting on a Broadcast to put that board back together.

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
I've owned both of these pedals and the MXR as well.

To be honest for a lush chorus tone I just keep going back to the M134. The Boss CE-2W is also very good but it isn't as flexible with pedal placement. It isn't able to take the effects loop of my ENGL Savage Mark 2 without clipping. The MXR has way more headroom because of the 18v power so it takes a hotter signal like a champ. The bass, treble and bass filter switch on the MXR are very useful features the Boss lacks.

The Julianna was a miserable experience to be honest. Not only was it utterly unusable in the loop of the Savage, but the chorus effect was pretty weak and anaemic in general. It didn't have the low end power of either the Boss or the MXR and it sucked treble out of my guitar signal, both when on and off. It's a pretty-looking pedal with useful features but those features are wasted when the pedal is so tonally lacking. I returned it a week later after trying everything I could to make it work.
Wow , great reply. Maybe I’m chasing something that doesn’t exist and should be happy with what I have. I do want to check out the Mr. Black just mentioned to though.

Thanks for all the posts so far all!!

chikubi

Taurus Vechoor MK2 is a pretty lush and flexible analog chorus that'll run in stereo or mono, and from 9-12v. Has a few extra tricks up its sleeve to witht the alternate A/B modes too.

If you're not deadset on an analog unit and are willing to try digital, the Free the Tone Tri-Avatar is one of the best sounding choruses period, analog or digital. It's what I have on my board currently and it's been a fantastic unit all around.

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the MXR M-134 stereo chorus for over 15 years. I was wondering if there are suggestions for something newer and better (I know "better" is subjective). I see Toneczar makes one and after buying his Stereo Tremolo, this had my interest but it's not an inexpensive pedal.

I'd appreciate suggestions and opinions on the Tonezcar as well as other analog stereo chorus pedals.
Check out my posts in this thread here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-for-a-tri-chorus-sound.2197917/post-34615753

Here are a couple clips:

Liko

The Walrus Julianna is an analog signal path, though the LFO that controls the BBD clock is digital, as are the controls to vary it. Closest I can get ya in a "new" pedal, everything else I've personally worked with or heard in enough depth to form an opinion that I know is analog is pretty old.

It's kind of disingenuous to call BBD circuits "analog" in the first place; they use a clock pulse to collect discrete, more or less instantaneous signal samples, not far removed from how digital sampling is done. They're only still "analog" because the voltage is stored in the BBD as-is instead of being converted to a numeric representation. Not to mention that sampling latency, far from a problem, is the name of the game for these kinds of effects. But I digress.

Nerd

You may or may not like this but Line6 HXFX tri stereo chorus is the best chorus pedal I have tried in my guitar lifetime. I can only expect it to be similar in smaller Helix Stomp form

Trending Topics

Top Bottom