Analog to Digital Recording Question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by AshlandBump, Apr 26, 2005.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Our band was given a Tascam 24 track/8 bus sound mixer (M-3500). It's way more than we need and, obviously, entirely analog. We're thinking about selling it but I'd like to see if there's a way we could adopt it to our use. We had been thinking about getting a Presonus Firepod to record directly to a computer. Is there some fire wire interace we could run between the Tascam and the computer that would keep the tracks (probably no more than 8 at a time) separate?

I'm just starting out with computer recording so I hope my question makes sense. Thanks.

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The m3500 & firepod will track 8 channels with no additional hardware.

With that mixer, I'd look at something like the MOTU 24io, so can can track and monitor up to 24 channels.

I wouldn't toss that mixer aside just because it's analog. It can the centerpiece of your studio. It gives you additional preamps for tracking drums, EQ and plenty of routing for outboard effects. And many people still use an analog board as a summing mixer, if for nothing else.

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

splatt recommended one brand that he said has the best customer support and drivers... I'm forgetting which. It was not PreSonus (terrible QC, by the way - if it works at all count yourself among the lucky few) or M-audio.

If I remember I'll post it later...

4. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    We're not thinking about getting rid of this because it's analog -- that's fine with me -- we just need a way of using its 24 seperate tracks with computer software. If that solution isn't cost effective, we'll sell it and buy something like the Mackie Onyx mixer (analog with fire wire output).

Even if the Presonus Fire Pod worked perfectly (first comment I've read that it doesn't work well), the fact that it would only track 8 channels from the Tascam doesn't really help. Aside from whatever quality might be obtained by using eight of the Tascam tracks into the eight Fire Pod tracks, we'd be just as well off going directly into the Presonus. I think, in theory, definitely showing my inexperience here.

Thanks for the responses.

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Gotcha. The cheapest 24 ch. interface I can think of is the 24io. I think it's around $1200 with the pci card. It's a few years old and some people don't think the MOTU converters are up to snuff. They're one par with Presonus though.

A more expensive and possibly better route is a RME adat card with a few analog to adat converters. You can probably put something together for around $2k, using some of the less expensive interfaces like the Alesis ai3 or Tango24. This is an area where you can upgrade in the future. You can start with just 8 channels, then add more as you need them. Or, you can add 8 channels of Mytek or Apogee, and use less expensive converters for ch. 9-24.

Then, there's another option. Sell the m3500 and buy a digital mixer with the adat i/o built in.

Or, you can go mixerless and work in the box.

6. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

I'll sell you two MOTU 1224 units and a PCI 324 card for $500
    (plus shipping and any fees). The card can handle up to 3
    interfaces, so you can always pick up one more 1224 and you're
    in business if want 24 tracks instead of 16.

I use a Tascam M2600 (32 channel) board into a Fostex G24S
    analog machine. I can talk to you all about wiring yours up
    if you like. No difference going into 24 tracks of digital, just
    gotta watch your levels (like anything).

--Tom