Analog vs. Digital

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by amz-fx, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:50 AM.

Tags:
  1. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

It's not what you think... :)

After not buying any pedals in 2018, I went on a pedal buying spree in mid-2019.

However, one thing I noticed as I was working with the pedals over the holiday was that every pedal that I bought was digital.

Anyone else found that they have enough analog pedals, and have been exploring more digital models?

regards, Jack

2. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

Yeah! I have zero analog pedals and have been exploring digital :)

There are 2-3 analog pedals I want to get some time, though.

amz-fx likes this.
  3. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

For me personally I definitely prefer analog drive pedals.. but I am fine with digitial modulation effects like delay.

bobcs71, chunky48, songtalk and 6 others like this.
  4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

My only analog pedals are a couple Big Muffs and a Rat, and most of the time I use the Muff model in my HX Stomp instead of the real thing. All my other pedals are digital...not that I have a whole lot of pedals overall, but I do have far more digital than analog.

amz-fx likes this.
  5. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

No, the only digital pedal I own is my Line6 DL4. :(

D. Redington likes this.
  6. FracStrat

FracStrat Supporting Member

7. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

I like the digital tape echo emulation pedals.
    I’ll never buy another analog delay.

Buddy67, TommyGuitar, Kelly and 2 others like this.
  8. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

I've got one, a Skreddy Echo. I do love it though.

ChampReverb and Jess 1971 like this.
  9. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

I prefer my delays and reverbs be digital, and my modulations and drives to be analog.

10. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I love my Skreddy Echo. Tracking leads on my band's new album this weekend, and my solo tone was just a Skreddy Echo and a Skreddy Mayo.

11. Warkli

Warkli Member

I have only two digital pedals and both of them are delays. I guess i like digital delay emulations. I am not kind of a guy obsessed with analog operation but all my other pedals like modulations, ODs, comp, wah etc. are analog. I use what sounds cool to my ears and what is handy feature-wise.

Mk90 and amz-fx like this.
  12. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

They do sound great. It was recommended to me in a thread, and by far one of the most solid recommendations ever. Love it.

Jess 1971 likes this.
  13. 8len8

8len8 Member

I don’t usually consider analog versus digital when buying pedals. I usually buy based on price, features and tone.

14. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

No. Actually I have zero digital pedals on my pedalboards, except that one board has an HX Stomp for delay+reverb+tremolo+tuning. But other than that all drives, modulation pedals and delay pedals that I use are analog. Well, there are a few digital delay pedals on the shelf. I do try all the digital stuff too, but I never seem to keep them, except tuners.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 10:19 AM
  15. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

About 80% of my gigs in the last year, and all of my at-home playing have been done with an AxeFX so I think it's safe to say that I'm on the all-digital-everything train.

I still love analog pedals for what they do, and I have a drawer full of them for recording and sometimes gigs. When you need an analog phaser, univibe or a fuzz pedal, no digital recreation will quite do. (Although I hear the fuzzes on the Line 6 helix are quite good!)

amz-fx likes this.
  16. caballero59

caballero59 Member

This may not be a concern but nevertheless, it does not give me a warm fuzzy...it seems that with separate digital pedals, there must be an AD/DA conversion for every one that you patch in. Doesn't this add up? For this reason, if you're going digital effects, keep them all on the same unit, and you may as well do your IR processing on that same unit while you're at it.

chunky48 likes this.
  17. Riffa

Riffa Member

I’ve been trying—and enjoying—a lot of digital pedals since the beginning of the year. I even got a digital compressor (something I would never have done in the past) and I’m glad I did because it’s awesome (Boss CP-1X). I’ve also had a lot of fun with an old Whammy, and the Boss Tera Echo. I do like my analog pedals, though.

amz-fx likes this.
  18. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Yes, me too. I much prefer analog pedals for fuzz/distortion/overdrive but I have enough of those pedals (my wife would say too many).

All of the digital pedals that I bought were either modulation, pitch shifting or some other intensive signal modifier.

regards, Jack

Jack DeVille and ChampReverb like this.
  19. monty

monty Member

It`s all good to me. Even dirt pedals have come a long way as far as the digital thing goes.

chadmo1 likes this.
  20. Riffa

Riffa Member

I did forget to mention, though, that I recently got the digital Boss OD-1X, too. I am still very impressed. Great sounds and very responsive.