Analogman AR20DL?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Steve Foley, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

I've been thinking about snagging a used Analogman AR20DL, with the 600 MS delay.... was originally trying to jump on the bandwagon when they were first so hot last summer, but always missed the "Buy It Now" button. I even emailed Mike, to see if there was a way to get "advance notice" when the BIN button was up. At that time EVERYONE had to have that pedal, it seemed like.
    Now, it seems there are a lot of them up in the Emporium.... I'm still thinking about getting one, but I'm just curious what experiences everyone's had with them? What made folks change their mind about them, and what's a better pedal to use, in that price range?
    I'm currently using the the Diamond ML, but thinking maybe it's got more bells and whistles than I really need, and the big footprint and 24 volt requirements severely limit some of my pedal-board layout options. I've been thinking about dropping down to a smaller, simpler delay, for day-to-day use, and was wondering why to get, or not to get, the AR20DL. I've not had access to one to try out, yet, so I'm asking totally from the "not having used it" perspective. I've heard that there are some artifacts, occasionally, that seem to be mostly at the higher level settings. Other than that I haven't heard much, other than they seem to be dropping like flies in the Emporium. Any comments from some of the current and past users?
    El Steve-0

2. RickB

RickB Member

I got a 300ms. one a couple of months ago and I use it constantly. I prefer it to my Nova Delay (in the 300ms. range obviously). It adds a nice thickening to my sound but not in a muddy way, more of a three dimensional thing since the repeats seem to "float" out of the amp. It was easily my best purchase of 2007! :cool:

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

First off, just because a pedal is on the emporium frequently doesn't mean that there is something wrong with it. There are a lot of great pedals on there, and people have various reasons for selling them. Also, notice how quick people are to grab the ar20dl's that show up :evil grin:

Second, I have the 300ms version of the ar20dl, it's my first analog delay. I really like the tonality of the repeats, and it was the main reason that I purchased the pedal. It's nothing fancy compared to my analogman dd5 or even my replica for that matter. I'm not sure that I can keep it though. I've come to realize that I need tap tempo and / or delay with midi. It's a great pedal and is well worth the $145 that I paid, but I'm looking to spend some $400 on the timefactor, which would mean selling all of my delays. Like I said earlier, this doesn't mean the pedals are bad, myself and other people change our minds about the functions / sounds we want. Others just like to try a pedal out to see how it sounds, and maybe others are trying to make a quick buck.

Overall, it's a great delay pedal with a more low-mid voicing. It was a very subtle delay, and added a depth / dimension to my regular sound. I need tap tempo though, even for an ambient delay (reason I bought this). For players who keep a constant bpm and are fine with turning the delay knob to adjust the tempo, then grab this. I can't compare it to any other analog delays, so my opinion is limited.

4. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

I'm a Diamond ML user and have tried both the 300ms and 600ms Analogman delays. I'd recommend that you do not sell your ML until after you've tried an AM delay. Personally, I can't live without my ML and the AM delays are too limiting and a tad too dark for my uses.

5. JCM 800

JCM 800 Silver Supporting Member

I also noticed that there were many for sale in the emporium. Wonder what the reason for this is?

6. Logan

Logan Supporting Member

I have mine for sale in the Emporium; good analog delay. Excels at "thicking" delay and would be good for live use, ambient noises, feedback, etc.

A couple of not so great things for me...

Don't enjoy it for recording, it has some white noise if the delay level is too high. I guess this is inherent to the design...

Like nrvana8775 mentioned I too am looking for some tap tempo features.

I do enjoy it more than the old Boss DMx's, 80's Ibanez AD9 and MXR's I've owned.

7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

You know how we like to try stuff out just to see if it's the pedal. I love that other people take the hit and we reap the benefits, i.e. lower price for a like new pedal that just didn't jive with someone. :AOK

Thanks to all of you pro's / rich folk who save me money.

8. Don L

Don L Member

I've been using the XL version (600 ms) for about a couple months now and like it a lot. It replaced my trusty Ibanez AD-900 that I gigged regularly with for about 2 years prior. It has more presence or excitement to the sound than the AD-900, which sounds bit mellower and darker than the AM. I also like the decay of the repeats on the AM, which sound softer to me. I have not noticed any extra noise.

9. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I love this delay! The buffer is awesome so it's perfect at the end of my signal chain. Analog warmth... sooo good. Let's put it this way... I can pretty much make any pedal I want, but I paid for and use the Analogman AR20DL.

Not an updated pic, but the AR20DL is still on my board today:

[​IMG]

10. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Steve I think the Ar20 showed up before some of the new delays arrived. I am sure many bought it because of AM's reputation and then were tempted to move on when the Nova and Timefactor showed up. Some I think would find it limited next to a DD20 or similar with tap tempo and many features. There were others such as myself that wanted something cheap wolly and small. It sounds great is reasonably priced, nice and small and not nearly as expensive if some punter spills a drink on it or runs off with it under an arm. I would not wish to say that we are a fickle bunch but that may be a factor.

11. plygtar

plygtar Member

Looked high and low for a good analog delay at a reasonable price. Great pedal with nice analog delay sound. Can't say enough good things about it.

12. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

Don't worry - just because I'm asking about it, or because I see someone selling theirs, doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with them . I'm still on the "need to get sometime" side of things, FWIW. I'd be the FIRST to say that not every piece of gear works out great for every single person. ;) In fact, I've tried several highly touted items that I just didn't get; and some that I didn't like one month sounded absolutely awesome next month - go figure...
    I'm just looking for some of the personal experiences with the pedal - still trying to decide whether to jump on one of them soon, or wait until they go down a little more, as they inevitably will, with so many of them in the Emporium.
    So far the summary of the pedals seems to be great sounds, but a little darker, with lightish repeats; some artifacts, if levels too high; no tap tempo; smallish footprint; easy controls. Anyone else got any input on what they've been coming up with?

El Steve-0

13. strat-rock

strat-rock Member

I like mine in the effect loop of my Quicksliver...both great pedals.

14. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I got mine in a trade, tried it, been on my board since. I may send it in for the XL mod.

15. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Ok here are my negatives. The knobs need to go they need a better position indicator and more to grab. I want more time for cheap, the add memory is a bit steep. But now I own one I will pony up.

16. jaimo

jaimo Member

+1
    Mystified by comments on it being noisy, though. Mine is serious quiet compared to other delays and effects I've tried or own. Damn thing is a must for Tele players!

17. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've got the 330ms version and am really happy with it...I just need some thickening for my solos and the AM does a nice job without mushing out with gain running through it...

at first I wasn't sure I liked the buffer but after sticking my Klon in a loop that has sorted itself out and I actually like the buffer now...the best thing about it is that it's a very musical delay...

I'd still like to try a Mad Professor DBD but that is really the only other one that interests me...

Chow,
    Seegs

18. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

Seegs,

Yeah, the Mad Professor was another one I was thinking about, but it seemed I kept catching hints of folks not happy with the artifacts in the delays in it, as well. Other than that it seemed most everyone loved that one. Again, the folks complaining about the extracurricular noises with both the AM and the Mad Professor all seemed to have had particularly high levels set, which would probably mostly not be the case for me. I prefer a "distinct, but subtle" delay - it's there, and it's an improvement to tone without it, but not so in your face to mush out the repeats, or throw the whole band off timing.
    So to sort of put this one to bed - for those keeping, or who have sold, the AM delay - what particulars made you come to that decision? What was better, and why?
    El Steve-0

19. JVania

JVania Member

Can't say enough good things about it. I sold my 300ms to get a Malekko E600 and MISSED the AR20DL. So I'm in the process of trying to pick up a 600ms version asap.

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

Steve...that describes the AM delay to a tee...turn it off and you miss it...

Chow,
    Seegs