Analogman Beano Boost (Rangemasters) and Single Coil Strats?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matt F, May 14, 2006.

1. Matt F

Matt F Member

Any thoughts on Beano Boost with traditional S/S/S Strat?

Thanks, Matt :)

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

IME the amp matters more. Strat > Rangemaster > Marshall = great, Strat > Rangemaster > BF Fender = not so much.

3. Upgrade

Upgrade Member

Yes
    Awesome!!!
    I love mine with strat or tele and a VOX!

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

Traditionally a Rangemaster sounds better through british amps....

5. JiMB

JiMB Member

Blackmore and Rory Gallagher used to do that.

6. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I think Blackmore used a Hornsby Skewes unit didnt he? thats pretty close to the same thing

7. Teahead

Teahead Member

Brian May uses Single Coils with a Rangemaster too. Personally, I prefer the tones of a humbucker guitar & Rangemaster combo and as others have mentioned, a British amp, like a non mv Marshall or Vox AC30's Normal Channel takes these best.

Which is not to say that Single Coils & Rangemasters don't work, Rory Gallagher is an excellent example. Honkin' blues tone for days.

Here's two clips to illustrate how differently s/coils & buckers sound with the R'master, second one is 'Led Zep' like Les Paul > Keeley Java > AC30 & the other has 'Queen' like Tele > Java > AC30 action...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361669&songID=2909533

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361669&songID=2550434

8. Matt F

Matt F Member

Cool, I am using an Aiken Invader MK II 18 head. Duh! Should have included that wee bit of information.. Thanks, been gassing for one..

9. nsriley

nsriley Member

I use my Beano Boost on the plexi channel of my amp and with a Strat it sounds great!

-Peace
    -Nate

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I used to own a Victoria deluxe and used a BSM HS with my strat and when turned up it may have been one of the best tones I ever had. The HS is made specifically for a strat and really punishes your amp making it cry like a little baby. Most treble boosters are worthless if your amp isn't loud, so don't judge the tone until it's cranking otherwise you will be disappointed.

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I will have to disagree with the previous post concerning a Rangemaster clone between a Strat and a BF Fender - I have an AM Beano Boost and a Throbak Strange Master and they both work very well in this set up into a BF Super Reverb. The only caveat is that I run the SR into 12" Greenbacks, so this might indicate that the choice of speakers has a lot to do with how well the Rangemaster works with a Strat. I can get really thick, smooth tones out of this setup.

That being said, I agree that, with my rig, the Rangemasters really shine best with humbuckers - Think old Judas Priest and you will get the idea! Really cleans up and adds definition to lower strings - just nails the "Electric Eye" or "Painkiller" tone! Gets my ya-ya's out when I am in the mood for classic metal.

12. Wooley

Wooley Member

I agree with gitpicker that the Beano Boost sounds great with Fender amps. I use it with both of mine. Then again, I really use it as more of an edge or growl-adding booster in the mid-position, and rarely use it in the Iommi way, and it works in both ways very well. I originaly used it strat > Beano > Bassman, and loved it, but I find it really shines with a hollowbody.

13. alderbody

alderbody Member

Rangemasters (and TRUE clones) can't give 100% of their potential with BF type amps because of their preamp's wiring "nature".
    (no more tech needed here)

It's not necessarily a bad combination, but they seem to prefer British style amps...

Either singles or buckers sound good.

EDIT: If you have a BF type with a master volume, things change significantly towards better with Volume at full and Master set low.