Analogman Beano Boost (Rangemasters) and Single Coil Strats?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matt F, May 14, 2006.

1. Matt F

Matt F Member

Any thoughts on Beano Boost with traditional S/S/S Strat?

Thanks, Matt :)

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

IME the amp matters more. Strat > Rangemaster > Marshall = great, Strat > Rangemaster > BF Fender = not so much.

3. Upgrade

Upgrade Member

Yes
    Awesome!!!
    I love mine with strat or tele and a VOX!

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

Traditionally a Rangemaster sounds better through british amps....

5. JiMB

JiMB Member

Blackmore and Rory Gallagher used to do that.

6. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I think Blackmore used a Hornsby Skewes unit didnt he? thats pretty close to the same thing

7. Teahead

Teahead Member

Brian May uses Single Coils with a Rangemaster too. Personally, I prefer the tones of a humbucker guitar & Rangemaster combo and as others have mentioned, a British amp, like a non mv Marshall or Vox AC30's Normal Channel takes these best.

Which is not to say that Single Coils & Rangemasters don't work, Rory Gallagher is an excellent example. Honkin' blues tone for days.

Here's two clips to illustrate how differently s/coils & buckers sound with the R'master, second one is 'Led Zep' like Les Paul > Keeley Java > AC30 & the other has 'Queen' like Tele > Java > AC30 action...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361669&songID=2909533

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361669&songID=2550434

8. Matt F

Matt F Member

Cool, I am using an Aiken Invader MK II 18 head. Duh! Should have included that wee bit of information.. Thanks, been gassing for one..

9. nsriley

nsriley Member

I use my Beano Boost on the plexi channel of my amp and with a Strat it sounds great!

-Peace
    -Nate

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I used to own a Victoria deluxe and used a BSM HS with my strat and when turned up it may have been one of the best tones I ever had. The HS is made specifically for a strat and really punishes your amp making it cry like a little baby. Most treble boosters are worthless if your amp isn't loud, so don't judge the tone until it's cranking otherwise you will be disappointed.

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

I will have to disagree with the previous post concerning a Rangemaster clone between a Strat and a BF Fender - I have an AM Beano Boost and a Throbak Strange Master and they both work very well in this set up into a BF Super Reverb. The only caveat is that I run the SR into 12" Greenbacks, so this might indicate that the choice of speakers has a lot to do with how well the Rangemaster works with a Strat. I can get really thick, smooth tones out of this setup.

That being said, I agree that, with my rig, the Rangemasters really shine best with humbuckers - Think old Judas Priest and you will get the idea! Really cleans up and adds definition to lower strings - just nails the "Electric Eye" or "Painkiller" tone! Gets my ya-ya's out when I am in the mood for classic metal.

12. Wooley

Wooley Member

I agree with gitpicker that the Beano Boost sounds great with Fender amps. I use it with both of mine. Then again, I really use it as more of an edge or growl-adding booster in the mid-position, and rarely use it in the Iommi way, and it works in both ways very well. I originaly used it strat > Beano > Bassman, and loved it, but I find it really shines with a hollowbody.

13. alderbody

alderbody Member

Rangemasters (and TRUE clones) can't give 100% of their potential with BF type amps because of their preamp's wiring "nature".
    (no more tech needed here)

It's not necessarily a bad combination, but they seem to prefer British style amps...

Either singles or buckers sound good.

EDIT: If you have a BF type with a master volume, things change significantly towards better with Volume at full and Master set low.