1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Analogman Beano Boost - What is it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bicktrav, May 23, 2011.

1. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

What exactly does the Beano Boost do? Analogman's website describes the pedal as a booster that isn't quite a clean boost or a distortion. So what is it? Is it a treble boost? I've heard it can help a fuzz like a Sunface cut through the mix in a live situation, and that's primarily why I'm interested in it, but I'd like to know more about the pedal. Thoughts?

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. Dashface

Dashface Member

It's a treble boost. There are many variations of these pedals around. They basically slam the inputs of whatever you plug them into (at least, that's the usual use :D). Very cool sound, but you've got to either be a) running a tube amp at some serious volume, or b) running some gain pedals after it otherwise you will blow out your ear-drums and die. True story.

They do make fuzz pedals sound rad. Very Sabbath. That being said, you really shouldn't have any trouble making a fuzz cut through the mix - do be sure to check your amp settings.

3. schwa

schwa Member

Dashface is right. It is a treble boost. It does have a toggle that will adjust the EQ to boost mids and lows as well.

The main vibe of the Beano is that it's a "boost with character". It boosts, but also adds some coolness to the tone.

I have a Beano, and a Sunface and played them together tonight. I actually prefer to boost the Sunface with a Timmy pedal (Boost without character).

I love the Beano into a driving Marshall with an LP.

With a Strat and the Sunface, I like a clean boost. YMMV

4. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I use my Beano Boost to drive the front end of my Carol-Ann OD2 from time to time...

5. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Treble boosts are a very old gain effect (early 60's) that has a distinct tonal signature. A good modern example like the Beano will have a full range of tonal options rather than just treble, but however you set one, it imparts a 'lively' and dynamic feel and tone to your playing. They dont sound good at all into a clean amp, so make sure your hitting some cooking tubes or (my favourite) a good OD pedal between the boost and amp.

There are players that just love the tone you get with them and have based their sound around it. Tony Iommi - early Sabbath, 'Beano' era Clapton, Brian May - everything!, Rory Gallagher - everything, Ron Wood in the Faces, some Black Crows I beleive, etc.

They are a little tempermantal to set up right with your rig sometimes, they just dont react like a typical OD or conventional boost, more like a germ fuzz really, but different. Get a great one like the Beano and if it floats yer boat it can be very inspiring.