Analogman Bi-Comp, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by parkhill, Feb 14, 2012.

1. parkhill

parkhill Member

My name is finally up on the Analogman BiComp waiting list!

Should I take the plunge? I have a Keeley 2 knob compressor I really like. I would probably have to let it go if I was going to keep the Analogman. The bi-comp isn't cheap but my past experience with other Analogman pedals tells me it might be worth it. Thoughts?

2. thegreatma3

thegreatma3 Member

how long is the wait?

3. DK207

DK207 Member

Get it. You won't regret it. And if for some odd reason it doesn't do it for you, shouldn't be a problem to sell for what you paid.

4. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

If I had the $ I would get it.

5. parkhill

parkhill Member

Just over a year. I got on the list in January 2011.

The waiting list is for the big box version that has the attack control on the outside. You can buy the smaller box bicomp any time. The difference is that the small box version has the attack knob on the inside and the footswitches are closer together. Too close for my liking.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

6. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Yes. Get it. Perfect Ross. Perfect OS style comp. both in one box, no question. AM sound and build is unquestionable too. My juicer is going nowhere.

7. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I never had a Keely but the AM BiComp is a hoot. I prefer the small to the large; I found I didn't use the attack knob that much.

8. ibegofyou

ibegofyou Member

:agree

I set the attack at 2:00 and haven't moved it since

9. shayneallen

shayneallen Member

An emphatic yes.... I've owned and sold 2 Keeleys, a 2 and 4 knob.... and currently have both big and small box bi-comps. Nothing against the keeley build wise, but I far prefer the Analogman sonically. Such a great versatile box... absolute top of the heap, and as most everyone knows Mike is as good as it gets.

10. JustMike

JustMike Member

Best compressor I ever had. The Juicer side just stays on all the time for me. It just makes everything I play kind of sparkly and snappy. I have the small box version, never had to mess with the attack.

One thing I really like about the small version is that the switches are close enough together that I can hit them both at once with one stomp very easily. Since the Juicer is always on, this makes it easy to switch to the Ross side.

11. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

Overall, a very sweet pedal. Love the Juicer side, the Ross side, uh, not so much...YMMV.

12. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

Best compressor I've ever own, go for it!

13. Hey_wilson

Hey_wilson Member

14. XISTH

XISTH Member

15. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

16. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the Bi-Comp to the Empress and kept the BiComp? I have wanted the BiComp forever, but having now played the Empress I'm wondering if I'll miss the blend knob and some of the other features.

17. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

The Keeley is a bit quieter but the range on the attack knob is much nicer on the AM. Other than that I find them to sound very similar. Had a Bi Comp for around 6 months and wound up using the OS side 99% of the time. Much sweeter sounding compressor than the Ross type, IMO. If I were to decide that I needed a comp with more noticeable squish again, I'd probably just grab a Juicer and be done with it.

Yes, strongly preferred the Empress, though I'm more into compression just to polish my tone a bit and even out the peaks rather than make the attack pop or anything like that. I also don't like how dark Ross type comps are.

guitar29 likes this.
  18. Fenderesq

Fenderesq Member

I love this pedal, the OS absolutely nails the early dire straits tone.

The only thing I would say about it is what I say about all compressors, to my ears they sounds 100x better with single coils than with humbuckers.

19. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Is there an option for the 2 footswitches to be A/B? I don't think I'll ever use both at the same time

20. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

Yes.

I've got the small.