Analogman Block Logo Envelope Filter

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Killshakes, May 14, 2020.

1. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

I’ve had the AM EF for a while now, and I just haven’t been able to get a fat / round EF sound out of it. It excels at subtle sounds, but the overall tone seems a little chirpy / squirty—if that makes any sense. Overall it seems a little tame. Any other users notice this too? Any recommendations / settings for thickening things up?

NOTE: My pedal is from the earliest run, which were built around actual, vintage MXR EF circuit boards (if I recall correctly). Are old MXR EF’s more subtle / tame sounding?

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Maybe run it with a compressor for added sustain?

chankgeez likes this.
  3. JackStrawForbin

JackStrawForbin Member

Interesting, I'm looking at one of these or a Maxon AF-9. Been hearing mixed reviews on the AF-9 but nothing but great things about the Analogman.

4. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Did you mess with the internal trim pot? I tuned mine to put out more bass, see the AM site for more info. It gets fat enough for me with that easy tweak.

I had an old MXR before that and while it sounded amazing it also killed the tone and treble, and had a volume drop. AM fixed all of that with his version. I much prefer the AM because of that.

chankgeez and Killshakes like this.
  5. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

I’m not lacking sustain, the pedal triggers easily, and the envelope isn’t decaying too quickly. It’s that the overall effect seems to go from mild to sort of... squirty? It’s almost like the pedal is saying the word “quick” when ever I play a note. I wouldn’t really describe it as either quacky, or vowel-like.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  6. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

I’m definitely going to try that! I’ve never touched the trim pots.

DonaldDemon likes this.
  7. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Yeah that's what made me sell my old MXR, it makes a big difference!

8. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Interesting, I’ve never had those issues with the old MXR’s...still my favorites by a long shot. I do have an Analogman Env. filter also as a backup, very good but different sounding...can’t quite get the same kind of round/vocal sound out of it as the MXR’s, bit more immediate/sharp.

9. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Yes, they are definitely different. AM has more treble response which would give the impression the original is darker/warmer. I love both but I just found the AM more useful and I didn't need to keep it in a bypass loop.

Windup 43 likes this.
  10. Riffa

Riffa Member

Wait, the original EF from MXR has internal trimpots?

11. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

I owned one and sold it, despite its well deserved reputation. (Maybe to you, OP?) Trim pot will help a ton, for sure.

I sold it because, to my ears, it's an auto wah more than an EV. It won't really do that low end bubbly, dubby sound. I debated for the longest about keeping it because it does what it does spectacularly. But I already have a great wah for that.

I ended up keeping this on my board instead, which to me is more of an EV, with nice low end and that bubbly decay:

henryjurstin13 likes this.
  12. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

I got mine straight from AM. Serial no. 41.

VintagePlayerStrat likes this.
  13. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

I personally like more subtle EF, but i get it. That’s indeed why there are many options for pedals so we can find what suits us. Hope you find one the fits. There’s always the new MU-FX

14. Trogdor

Trogdor Member

I used to own an ‘81’ mxr ev. It was just okay and I was never a big fan of it. Bought it at a pawn shop many years ago (early 90’s) for like 10 bucks. I prefer the sound if an optical type device like the Mutron better. I soldnit for a few hundred which was nice.

With that being said, I’m positive there was no trim pot in mine. And I thought the effect was kinda weak myself.

15. flatdream

flatdream Member