Analogman Brown or Silver Mod to go with my Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by myronkim, Dec 25, 2009.

1. myronkim

myronkim Member

Happy holidays everyone! I just had a quick question for you all...

I recently picked up a Timmy on Craigslist and I absolutely love it! And so right now I'm looking for a dirtier, warmer OD to compliment the more transparent, lighter Timmy.

I also just ordered an Analogman OD-9 with the classic (brown) mod that should be arriving within the week. But now I'm having second thoughts -- should I have ordered the silver mod instead?

I've heard a lot of people say that the silver mod is just plain better than the classic one. I've also heard a lot of people say that they're equally great, just with a different sound (silver has less drive, more low-end, more transparent... brown is warmer, sounds more vintage).

With what I'm looking for, which one would be the better mod? Which one would work better when combined with the Timmy?

Thanks!

2. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

if you want it dirtier then brown is the way to go...i have a silver, wish i had the brown, these arent that gainy though

3. tronus

tronus Member

Yea, I have the silver and it passes more signal unaffected onto the next pedal or the amp. If you plan on stacking the two, this may be a good thing. But if your going to use one or the other, then you might like having one that is a little more saturated.

4. twang

twang Member

I haven't tried the brown mod, but I have a silver in a+ condition/box that I'm about to put in the emporium for $175 shipped/ppal'd. It's been in the closet for about 3 years! Great pedal for what it does, I just don't use many pedals anymore. -t-

5. myronkim

myronkim Member

Thanks for all the info guys. TWANG -- sounds like a good offer. Might be interested. I was looking into canceling my Analogman order and buying it used to save some $$$. Might PM you...

6. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

I have a Tim with an OD9 AM brown mod, they stack really well. IMHO

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i had a brown, a silver, a stock ts9, and a bad monkey. out of those four, i preferred the silver, with the monkey in second place. meanwhile, the silver and brown are both gone and i use a screwdriver deluxe instead. . . .

8. SHM

SHM Member

I use a Silver modded TS9 with my Timmy. It might be the best combo I've ever had.

9. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

Going to through a spanner in the works and say that I think the Keeley TS9 is awesome too. It has a tighter bottom end, more focused gain and stacks really well.

10. myronkim

myronkim Member

Again, thanks for all your input. It's tough when I read reviews of the silver mod and everyone is raving about how much better it is than the silver mod. Most of it is obviously really biased -- they're paying 30.00 more dollars and they WANT to hear the improvement.

It seems that for the most part that I can't go wrong with either, and one just offers a little more clarity than the other.

11. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

What amp are you using? I'm trying to decide Silver/Brown as well.

I plan to use with a super clean DRRI.

12. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Supporting Member

I would look for something that is a little different.....Those are both med gain real clear sounding pedals. For a thicker darker tone, you might try the Barber LTD. It's thicker and fatter. Just a thought. There are tons !

13. myronkim

myronkim Member

I'm using a Fender Blues Deluxe right now. My guitar's a Fender Strat with Dimarzio pickups.

My whole setup is pretty clean sounding already...