Analogman Chorus, Fulltone Choralflange or TC Electronic SCF?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matts Tone, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Supporting Member

I was wandering what chorus do you guys recommend?

I currently have a Analogman Clone Chorus which I like but are thinking I might want a change!!

I've done a search for the TC Electronic SCF but couldn't find many comments on this, do any of you guys use it & how does it compare with the Choralflange?

Also I read Eric Johnson's comments on the Fulltone website about the Choralflange being the best chorus he has ever heard, BUT having gone onto his own web page it states he uses the TC Electronic SCF (new version)!! So which is it?

I have read alot of praise for the Retro-sonic Chorus BUT there are no UK dealers & I'm aware that it's another wall wart pedal & I'm not sure it would work over here in the UK!!

I'm currently actually trying out delays & I'm comparing the T-Rex Replica witht the Diamond Memory Lane which I will post my comments on another thread that I started a few days ago!!

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have an Analogman mini-chorus, I used to own the Choralflange. Personally, I like the Analogman way more, it's more organic sounding, is easier to set and is smaller. The Choralflange IMHO is kind of a bitch to use because one little tweak of the knobs changes everything and I found it very difficult to dial stuff in.

3. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I can't make comparisons, but I have the Choralflange and it is a fine chorus and also does flange. Lots of tweakability. Might be overkill though unless you really plan on making chorus an important part of your tone.

4. JayDA

JayDA Member

I had a choralflange, and it was a great sounding pedal, but getting the right sound was to much work. I now have the analogman mini chorus, and I couldnt' be happier, I'm actually considering the full size stereo version. The mini is definately more organic sounding, not as "hi-fi" sounding as the choralflange.

5. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

Choralflange is like an SCF but better...lots of different sounds in there. You just have to spend some time with it to get to know it. I liked it so much that I bought two, but only need one now, so one of my CF's has to go (brand new in the box...pm if interested).

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

My experience is the opposite - I prefer the t.c. to the Fulltone.

7. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Another analogman mini chorus owner here.. I too owned the Choral Flange and liked all of the options but found it noisy? The am chorus is no nonsense and just sounds good.

8. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I own all three of these choruses, the Clone is different than the Choralflange and SCF by that it is a more phase type of chorus, or at least to me, it is the best of what it does. The SCF is the defacto standard when it comes to chorus, but it also does flange, but no great in my opinion. The Choralfange gets an almost equal chorus tone as the SCF, but it is just a tad warmer to my ear, but the flange on it is outstanding, but that requires tweaking. Even though the Choralflange does both chorus and flanging when you switch between them you need to do allot of tweaking. Not really an issue once you know where you like the knobs set. If you want one pedal for your chorus and flanging needs, get the Choralflange, if you want two separate pedals for those two effects, get the SCF and a Foxrox TZF.

TheGrooveking

9. jtkung

jtkung Member

I think it depends on what style of chorusing you like. The small clone and CE-1 type choruses are lush, watery, and can get very modulated. The Analogman and Fulltone are probably more in this category. The other category is pristine, spatial, and clean. Not as wet and swirly, but spacious. The tc falls in this camp. I think EJ uses this because most of his clean sound demands stereo to his Vibroverbs (or in the past Twins), and a very clean, high dynamic range, slightly chorused tone, but not swirly or watery. The tc fits the bill here perfectly.

10. Matts Tone

I'm aware the Analogman Clone Chorus is based around a small clone, so I'm wanting to try the opposite a Boss CE-1 style pedal. That's why I am interested in both the Choralflange & SCF for those reasons!!

Choralflange is a pedal that I've been keen to try for sometime but hate pedals that you have to keep tweaking all the time, I prefur pedals with a good tone straight out of the box, BUT are kinda willing to take up the challenge!!!

Although I've also been very interested in the SCF & have been seeking that out for a while too, & if that envolves less tweaking to get a great sound out of then that might be the way to go!!

As for a flanger I have owned a Maxon FL-9 in the past & thought it was good but I got bored of the tone after a while so sold it, but if the chorus pedal I choose has the additional flanger that would be nice BUT I'm not sure I used it alot.

11. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I have a CF and an AM mini chorus. I slightly prefer the CF, but the AM's smaller footprint is more convenient on my current board, so that's what I use right now. That said, I also really dig old my Arion SCH-1.

Cheers,

Johan.

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

analogman stereo bi-chorus;)

13. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

The Stereo Bi-Chorus from Analogman doesn't get you much more than the others listed. The Choralflange out of the box sounds good, it is not a unit that requires a boat load of tweaking. Actually a list of some setting recommendations come with the pedal and they sound great and can be used for good starting points for exploration. The issue with the Choral flange is it has more knobs than most other choruses, so it is more flexible.

And the Clone is not based on the CE-1, the best CE-1 type chorus is the Retro-sonic.

TheGrooveking

14. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I had the SCF (from the 80s), got the Analogman Bi-Chorus, and sold the SCF. The SCF is very nice, quiet, and has lots of options. The Analogman is noisier but more alive. It just has a bigger sound compared to the SCF's polite sound.

15. Matts Tone

Does the Choralflange work off a standard 9V ? Does it need a reverse polarity cable? Is it another wall wart pedal?

I'm tempted to try out the Choralflange!!

16. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

Yes the Choralflange can run off of a standard 9V battery or use a standard Boss adapater.

TheGrooveking

17. Matts Tone

Does anyone have any more sound samples of the Fulltone Choralflange (apart from the Fulltone web site) or any of the TC Electronic SCF (as I have never actually heard any sound samples of this pedal)? Whether it be your own sound samples or a web page you know you've heard them on I'd appreciate it :AOK !!

18. Mark Barratt

Mark Barratt Supporting Member

The only Chorus Pedal i have tried out/still own of these 3 is the TC Electronic SCF.
    So, what i can add is that the SCF is very transparent in so much as your guitar tone seems to exist "un-efected". The TC chorus to my hearing fills the space around the note/chord.
    If that makes sense !?

19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got all three. The SCF is on my board at church, primarily for it's pristine clean character. I don't use the flange or vibrato settings much. I can use it with acoustic. It isn't true bypass (buffered).

The Small clone is swirly, rich harmonically but not clean. Not much use for acoustics. A pretty idiosyncratic chorus tone.

The CF is more flexible, bigger, harder to use, true bypass, AC only with a wallwart or a pedal power. Because of that, I usually use it around home rather than on the road. Nice chorus, not as clean as the SCF, but cleaner than the SC.

20. Matts Tone

So Bob would you say the Fulltone CF is the all rounder for modulation?

I mean the chorus would be my main modulation effect BUT with the addition of the Flanger & versatility of the pedal it is making me think to lean that way!!

Is it alot different to the TC Electronic SCF?