Analogman ds1 pro mod 1st impression

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rockster12, Nov 22, 2005.

1. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

Well I must say that I am a believer. Now I know it has only been one night but I have tried a stock ds-1 several times and though I have always tried to like it, I can honestly say that to my ears it sounded so bad that I could never stand it for more than maybe 5 min. at best. Well I just played the analogman ds-1 pro for about 2 hours through a Marshall 50 watt plexi clone, using an Anderson claissic strat and a less paul std. I am anxious to run it through its paces at a jam this week. I can't believe the difference. I stood on the fence of this mod for at least a year now, thinking no way can that pedal be useable for me, but the hype and discussion made me too curious. So I can say that I am pleasantly surprised but by the same token, I can't imagine Analogman putting out something that doesn't sound good.

ChampReverb likes this.
  2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Based on my research on DS-1 mods, and I've done quite a bit, the analogman version, while still a great pedal, is at the bottom of the heap. That's kinda like finding a gold nugget under a heap of diamond and platinum gems, though.

My favorite mods are either the indyguitarist tube emulator or, for a bit more genre-bending sound, the indyguitarist vintage mod.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

what about the SD-1 mod? the overdrive pedal, the yellow stompbox, are there any other mods besides AM and keeley?

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

5. rockster12

While I can respect the time, effort and I am sure the $$$ you must have spent to try all the mods out, I am just saying that for me (an old school guitar vet of 40 years) I will probably not investigate that much and I am just saying that for the brief time I have spent with a pedal that until now I considered a paper weight at best, I was quite impressed. But with that said and what pedals I have tried, Between Keeley, Analogman, and Fulltone, I would be happy putting together a board full of any of their products and I would be confident that they would do the job just fine for me. As far as that goes, I would perform with just my amp and guitar.
    Anyway, thank you for your input and info. It is appreciated.

ChampReverb likes this.
  6. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey rockster12,

I've had my '84 Boss DS-1 distortion pedal forever. It's a cool sounding pedal to me. As usual, the tone knob was good at around 10 o' clock and it was quite noisy. I had Analogman do the Super mod on mine and now the tone control has more range, it's a lot less noisy, slightly more output and it still has the cool distortion sound that it always had. I use it now on my pedalboard as an overdrive pedal.

Guitar George

7. rockster12

There you go. Everyones taste is different. But like you I noticed the same improvements.

8. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Bottom of the heap? I know you said it's still a golden nugget but how would you feel if you worked very very hard on something that you really liked, and someone called it Bottom of the heap? OK I'm a little sensitive, should be tougher after all these years, sorry about that! But here is the point -

There is no BEST or WORSE, it's all about taste. The guys who posted who actually own and use the pedal seem to love it. And dozens of pros who can afford to buy any pedal ever made seem to like it quite well too.

Many players will certainly NOT like some of our pedals and mods, our mods are designed to make them sound LESS like pedals! Even Howard Davis, EH designer, thinks I'm crazy taking away so much of the original pedals' character. It's Just the opposite of what many people want but I think I make that clear in our descriptions. I have tried almost all the other mods when we get them in for remodding and sometimes I wonder how people give them such great reviews. My tastes really can't stand some mods that others seem to love. I won't say they suck- they are just not for me and my classic rock/prog rock/blues style and 44 year old ears and even older amps and guitars.

If you want squealing feedback, frankenstein switches, flashing neon lights and jellybeans I won't recommend our pedals. If you have a great tube amp and guitar and want the DS1 distortion sound but more of your own tone to come through, I really don't think the DS1/pro can be beat. And the comparison reviews I have seen, seem to agree.

Thanks and have fun in your never ending search for tone! :dude

p.s. Jellybeans for everyone!

9. rockster12

Freakin CLASSIC!;)

Jim S and buddyrama like this.
  10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Yo AnalogMan,

didn't mean to piss you off. I was referring purely to your ds-1 mod. Whether you hold a special place in your heart for it out of all your mods, I don't know, but that's all I was referring to.

Everyone has their mods which are better and worse than anyone else. For example, your custom chorus pedal (the clone) is top o' the heap in the eyes of many when it comes to choruses. I actually am hoping to get some work done from you pretty soon, and congrats on being the first to offer the eq-20 mod which is sorely needed!

Again, I was referring purely to your DS-1 mod, you're competing with some very talented modders. in closing, I totally agree that your mod is the best mod for what you described. However, if I was looking for a pedal to do your classic rock/prog rock/blues style that you mentioned, well, I'd probably get an SD-1 type pedal to play those styles! For a DS-1, I want cranked plexi \m/

Cheers

11. stratnpaul

stratnpaul Member

Has anybody had the Indyguitar "acid blues" mod done to their DS-1? Check out those clips on his site. WOW!

12. MERCYFULFATE

MERCYFULFATE Member

i just got the Analog man DS-1 Pro mod.

man this thing is 9 kinds of awesome. thanks Mike P.

13. Belmont

Belmont Member

I just picked up my fourth MIJ DS-1,another long dash silver screw-cha ching. I'm a DS-1 junkie,I love them,to mod them would be like chiseling a Floyd into a 54' Strat,they're perfection the way they are,I love the way the tone knob works,plenty o' freakin volume outa the ones I own.
    I also bought a new DS-1 to mod,or have modded,because the new ones are not on the same planet as the MIJ models.can anyone tell me what the Analogman PRO sounds like compared to the MIJ's because that's my only referance point. I should add that I had a Doobetone Super DS-1 which had toggles and was pretty cool,but it's input got overloaded by the midboost circuit in my Strat,which sounded awful.

14. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

If you like the OLD Japanese DS1 then you should love the DS1/pro. That's the sort of sound we were going for, not changing the pedal into something it was never meant to be, just making it sound great like the original version. The midrange knob DOES allow a different tonality IF you turn it up and want to add mids.

No floyd rose on my Les Paul either, please.

buddyrama, J.Eric B and AceBSpankin like this.
  15. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

and countless pros also use the DS-1 stock. :banana

16. clarabess

clarabess Member

Based on my research on DS-1 mods, and I've done quite a bit, the analogman pro version, IS a great pedal, is at the top of the heap. Much fuller and warmer with great tone.

J.Eric B likes this.
  17. dietervde

dietervde Member

18. J.Eric B

J.Eric B Member

Does anyone else do the mod that adds a mid knob? Just curious, I haven’t seen one.
    I’ve got an AM DS1 w/mid knob, and now the lowly DS1 sounds every bit as good as $200 boutique distortion pedal. Keeping the tone knob right around 10 o’clock and setting mid knob noon or above, distortion and volume to taste yields a really complex rich distortion.
    IMHO, I’ve heard some of the other mods, and I’ll take my AM all day.

19. J.Eric B

J.Eric B Member

Hey Mike, just wanted to say thanks! My DS1 w/mid knob is absolutely killer. I appreciate your craftsmanship, and customer service. Traits that seem to be going extinct.
    To be honest, I’ve a small business (unrelated field), but I’ve tried to use you and Brian Wampler as a template for treating customers right, and making sure my service is worth people’s hard earned $$.

analogmike likes this.
  20. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

For me, the key is the mids knob on the Analogman. I play through a squeaky clean amp and that makes all the difference. If you were playing through a turned down JCM800 or something similar, the mids knob might not be needed. But, I haven't tried that so I could be way off. I use the exact settings that @J.Eric B describes above. Plus, I will take any chance I can get to post a pic of the Analogman modded BOSS dynamic duo...

Ignore the DS-1 knob settings in this pic. Not sure what I was doing there.... My mids knob is usually 1-2 o'clock and the DIST backed off a skooch from full-up. If you turn the DIST knob to max and then back it down, it's almost like you find a sweet spot at about 4:00 to 4:30.

[​IMG]

analogmike likes this.