Analogman Envelope filter

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks got it. I guess I kept looking under the 2 MXR sections, and it's on it's own.

MIM#1

Since it will be awhile before mine arrives in Europe, any body else got one yet?
Post your impressions if possible!

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
I took it to band practice and used it on a few cover songs (shakedown street, Mario bros theme song). I'm pleasantly surprised to say I like it better than the vintage MXR. It's more present in the mix but still pleasing in the treble frequencies. Looks like my MXR is going to be for sale. :)

I have #21 fwiw

Last edited:

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I have had #10 for a little while now, and I can report that it easily triggers with my low output strat pickups. That is usually the deal breaker for me. I have a Wonderlove as well, but the AMan MXR is different enough to keep both. The Wonderlove has more adjustments and can produce a wider array of sounds, but the AMan just sounds great at every setting. It is very easy to get a great filter sound out of it.

MIM#1

I remember seeing the NOS circuit boards on eBay years ago. Glad they went to the proper home!

Actually, I bought a board a few months ago on ebay so he's still selling them I think. I wonder where he got them? Maybe he's an old ex-employee of MXR or a dumpster diver from Rochester,NY? :D
Anyway,I got my board populated but need to see an actual unit to get the off board wiring right which is where the A-MAN filter comes in for the assist. Its a win win! I'm selling an H.A.Z Mu-Tron III + [sounds great/too big] to fund this adventure, and maybe my DOD 440 re-issue [but I do like it alot].

Thanks for your impressions,can't wait to get mine! I'll report back in due time!
[ I kinda want to hear the Mario Bros. theme with the A-Man now]

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
Actually, I bought a board a few months ago on ebay so he's still selling them I think. I wonder where he got them? Maybe he's an old ex-employee of MXR or a dumpster diver from Rochester,NY? :D
Anyway,I got my board populated but need to see an actual unit to get the off board wiring right which is where the A-MAN filter comes in for the assist. Its a win win! I'm selling an H.A.Z Mu-Tron III + [sounds great/too big] to fund this adventure, and maybe my DOD 440 re-issue [but I do like it alot].

Thanks for your impressions,can't wait to get mine! I'll report back in due time!
[ I kinda want to hear the Mario Bros. theme with the A-Man now]

Awesome, you will most likely dig it. I had the DOD 440 too and it was cool, but I like the AM better, more funky. Maybe I will try and get a recording of the SMB theme song this Friday at the gig! ;)

DimT

Silver Supporting Member
In the second picture on the analogman product page, it seems like he is using film capacitors instead of the ceramics found in the old units (or are these "modern ceramics")?

Am I right? And what about the IC's?

(it doesn't matter very much of course but this is TGP and we have to make some geek talk, don't we?);)

MIM#1

How does it compare to the tru tron?
Its not a Mu-tron circuit at all, closer maybe to the S.W.A.W...but then I haven't heard the A-Man yet. The old MXR's are the easiest, least tempermental filters to dial in.2 knobs and they sound good everywhere. Sometimes [especially live] easier = better.

MIM#1

In the second picture on the analogman product page, it seems like he is using film capacitors instead of the ceramics found in the old units (or are these "modern ceramics")?

(it doesn't matter very much of course but this is TGP and we have to make some geek talk, don't we?);)
Can't have too much geek-talk! He's got the IC's socketed so you could always pop in some old RCA cd4069's if you really wanted to geek-out.[I might since I have a few] I don''t think the caps make a big difference.

Last edited:

analogmike

Vendor

Of course!!

Old MXR small pedals like these used very flat components to fit in the box, the ceramic discs are perfect. I like those for some dirt pedals, but the film caps we used should be less gritty and smoother sounding and they just fit. We use NOS Panasonic caps.

We use the same IC chips, but it's very tough to find chips that work in this circuit. The main chips are actually Quad Bilateral Switch and inverter chips, the MXR designer worked "out of the box" to make a cool circuit using these chips. Most chips with the same part# don't work, so maybe that's why MXR and most companies don't make these anymore.

MIM#1

We use the same IC chips, but it's very tough to find chips that work in this circuit. The main chips are actually Quad Bilateral Switch and inverter chips, the MXR designer worked "out of the box" to make a cool circuit using these chips. Most chips with the same part# don't work, so maybe that's why MXR and most companies don't make these anymore.

Yep, just read the tonepad MXR Agua filter build reports. A nightmare of trying to find IC's that work. Who's the MXR designer that designed this filter?

Last edited:

SoundsGood

Of course!!

Old MXR small pedals like these used very flat components to fit in the box, the ceramic discs are perfect. I like those for some dirt pedals, but the film caps we used should be less gritty and smoother sounding and they just fit. We use NOS Panasonic caps.

So then this is a very limited run?

MIM#1

100 of the 1st run I believe, and he said if there is a second run they will be slightly different than the first.[cosmetically]

dcg810

Anyone else have some experience with this yet? The Soundcloud link on the previous page doesn't seem to be working anymore, anyone know of other demos of the pedal?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom