Analogman Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MGuts, Sep 22, 2008.

1. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

I've heard that the fuzz boxes produced by Analogman are great units. I really like the fuzz sound SRV had towards the end, and I saw on the Cesar Diaz site that he (his brand) makes one that is a reproduction of what Stevie was using at the time he passed away. Are those two fuzz faces pretty similar or is one gonna be a whole different sound than the other?

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Use the search function and put Sunface or Peppermint in the search box, if you don't get at least 5 pages of info on these pedals the mods must of cleaned up the excess.

Great pedals, I like the Peppermint fuzz the best because it's the most out there. Many guys like the Sunface because it is really sweet sounding for a fuzz and can be used as an overdrive if set up right.

3. txbluzmn

txbluzmn Member

I have both and it really depends on what sound you're going for. If you're going for Stevie's In Step tone, the Diaz will get you there. It's a different circuit than the classic Fuzz Faces ( like the Analog Man). It's a little smoother fuzz and easier to control. It also adds more treble as you turn up the volume. It has a nice gain and you don't need any boosters with it. Mine has Germanium transistors in it only (like Stevie's) because Caesar made it for me himself in '97, so i can't tell you about the BC808 transistors he had interchangeabe in the newer models.

Hope this helps!!

4. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Harry- Does Analogman make new fuzzes or am I only going to be finding older ones?

Tex-You said the new models have the BC808 chip interchangeable. Could I put in Germanium ones if I don't like what's in there?

5. d-b

d-b Member

I have the peppermint and is can do really gnarly, spitting, and sputtering stuff but can be dialed back. Battery only but I use my 9v adapter on the pp2
    Plus it looks cool...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Would I order direct from Analogman or does he have dealers?

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

He makes new fuzzes based on old designs, I also think he has dealers but I'd go direct, you will not have any problems.

8. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Oh okay, cool. I was under the impression that he wasn't making them anymore for some reason.:jo If I call the guy, do you think he'd be willing to talk over the different ones he makes and stuff like that?

9. charmboy

charmboy Member

I'm not sure about calling, I think email might be Mike's prefered method. I've corresponded with him often about questions like yours and he's always extremely helpful.

I have a Sunlion (sunface and beano in one pedal) and a Peppermint and they're both incredible. My wife mainly uses the Peppermint on her bass which is absolutely amazing. I really think Mike should market it in that direction a bit on his site as the 'buzz' knob all the way up retains all the bottom end of a bass through the fuzz. Anyway, I like the Peppermint for crazy stuff and I have alot of fun with it, but the SunFace is a real workhorse. If I had to pick just one (for guitar), it'd be the Sunface.

10. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Absolutely, but email may be best. Mike (analogman) is a great guy and actually an active member of this forum. He goes by the screen name analogmike here

11. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

First please read my fuzzface page on analogman.com, without that you will spend an hour on the phone to get basic info that is much easier to comprehend when read. Then if you have a specific question that you can't find the answer to, please call and one of my guys will help you out.

All our pedals are custom made to your specs so we should be able to get one that's perfect for what you need.

Thanks!!

12. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Sounds good. I'm gonna give that a read tonight, and hopefully that'll answer most of my questions.

13. d-b

d-b Member

[​IMG]

I bought mine from mike at buyanalogman.com

There is a ton of info on that site and analogman.com
    :dude:dude:dude

14. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

Just ordered 2 Sunfaces from Mike last week

1 - BC108 Silicon w/sundial and LED
    1 - NKT275 Geranium (med gain trannies) w/sundial and LED

already own the Analogman Bi-Chorus

His build quality and customer service is top notch.

15. RickB

RickB Member

:dude I have a NKT275 with Sun Dial, top jacks and on/off pot that my wife got me for Christmas last year. Amazing pedal and Mike's service was phenomenal. I highly recommend the on/off pot! :AOK

16. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I have the Sunface NKT275 and a 1996 Diaz Texas Squareface.I prefer the sunface as its less gain,and more control with the volume knob.I used the Diaz for many years,and as a lead pedal for solos it screamed.The sunface replaced it recently as its more versatile.My Diaz has germanium transistors(not sure which),but they are very high gain,and for that Stevie tone(think Austin City Limits 89 show) I dont think he used his fuzz at a high gain setting,or his transistors were more traditional early fuzzface style.My Diaz gives me that solo tone in 'Desert Rose' by Eric Johnson,from Ah Via Musicom(the second solo),whereas my sunface does the early Jimi thing,think 'Love or Confusion' or 'Manic Depression'.The sunface also cleans up amazingly when turning down the volume knob.It depends alot on the amp and guitar too though.Both great units,but for my taste the sunface shades it.

17. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

I've got a separate Beano and Sunface and couldn't recommend them more. A huge variety of fuzz and od tones are available. Plus, Mike's a great guy and very professional.

18. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Right now I have a fuzz that I got when I was a kid that by Dunlop that is supposed to be like a Dallas Arbiter. Would that generally be higher gain than the Sunface, etc? Also, I played a Fulltone 70's that sounded decent. Does anybody know which one by Analogman would compare to that one the closest?

19. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Well the Fulltone 70 is a silicon fuzz,so therefore the analogman sunface BC108 would be closest,although it would not be exactly the same.As for the Dunlop,it depends on the transistors.If they are germanium then the analogman sunface nkt275 is the best one;for silicon,the BC108 will do you.Without getting technical,a germanium fuzz tone is like early Hendrix(Are You Experienced) and a silicon is like later Hendrix(Band Of Gypsys).

20. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Thanks! That clears up a lot. Before this thread, I really didn't know there was much of a difference. Without getting technical again, do you know what SRV's were? Germanium or Silicon?