Analogman King of Tone or Xotic BB MB

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by td2243, Jan 26, 2012.

1. td2243

td2243 Member

Hey guys,

I'm really not an expert at overdrive pedals at all, so I'm coming to TGP for help. I'd like an OD pedal and I've narrowed it down to the KOT and the BB MB preamp.

The obvious difference is 2 channel (KOT) vs 1 channel (BBMB), and that is a big selling point. Can anyone chime in on how these are sonically different? Can the KOT cover the tones of the BBMB, or vice versa? Can one do a certain type of tones that the other can't? Thanks.

For the Empire,
    TD-2243

2. td2243

td2243 Member

3. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I have both. They can certainly be setup to sound very similar, The first time I had them both on the board, I was toggling between them at soundcheck while a guitarist friend was sitting 15 feet away and he couldnt hear the difference at all. The feel of the pedals are a little different but the sound, especially live is not too far apart.
    It comes down to what you need, the KOT has 2 channels that can be used separately or combined and the BB-MB is a smaller pedal with a 3 band eq.
    Both are great and very well made.

4. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

KOT all the way. it's not even really a choice in my head. a bit pricey unless you want to wait a few years on the list. every dollar is well spent. plus there's a ton of great famous guitarists that use it. KWS, the black crowes guy, i just read in the new guitarplayer magazine that john petrucci uses one. i've never heard of anyone outside TGP use a Xotic BB MB.

that's my opinion.

5. td2243

td2243 Member

Thanks. I'll try to get on the list and give it a good listening when I eventually get it. Maybe I'll get a bbmb in the meantime. :)

6. mc2

mc2 Member

I would get a BB-you'd get one more easily/readily than the KOT. Notable users of the BB pedal include Lukather, Howe, Henderson, Ritenour, so if you need celebrity endorsement, they should do the trick.

If you are new to OD's, I might be wrong, but I'll offer this. New OD users really are looking for a little or a fair amount of hair compared to the clean sound of their amp, especially at lower levels. Really, OD's shine with cranked amps that often get a bit loud unless you're gigging. The KOT definitely excells with cranked amps-from my experience-and left me a little flat with lower volume stuff-so do many other ODs. As I got a little older and more familiar with what overdrive really is, I found myself using the pedals to push the amp into saturation rather than adding a gainy signal.

For low mid volumes, the BB would have a little more gain on tap and is pretty good with low gain levels too. So think of that as an overdrive+distortion option, whereas the KOT is a true overdrive.

The KOT does have a high gain red side option that might more closely approach the BB. I only had the standard red side. Others might chime in.

7. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

having played/owned both, there is no comparison at all. the KOT is by far my choice.

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

same here!!

9. coolhandluc

coolhandluc Member

Digging this old thread up so I don't start a new one.

I find the PoT and KoT to be the perfect gain structure and right amount of mids and "hair" for my setup EXCEPT the slight low cut/reshape it does. The Timmy does the EQ thing right but I like the gain structure of the PoT/KoT better for my 6L6 amps. Can the BB preamp or BB MB do what I want? I want gain structure like King of Tone but EQ of Timmy. can I have it all?? If not I'll just grab a PoT and be happy with that. It really is the closes to my needs. If the PoT had bass & treble knobs instead of a tone knob I'd be so happy.

10. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The treble trimpot inside the POT can change the tonal characteristics quite a bit, try turning it up a bit, and turn on the LOW DIP switch too, hope that helps!

11. mc2

mc2 Member

I had a KOT a long time ago and thought it was good at low/med gain stuff, but it didn't blow my mind like many reviews here. To be fair and clear, it was a beautiful pedal, not sure why the wait,etc., but I've learned a lot since burning thru a few pedals, amps and guitars, which is to use more amp and less pedal for great sounds. I really do prefer 2 different pedals vs a combo pedal, I think that's much more versatile. For example, the FD2, great drive, didn't need the boost, so you wind up with a big pedal for one tone (me personally) and less on the board for a complementary pedal, vs. switching out one pedal and keeping another if you like that foundation. KOT is pretty small though and certainly has the bling/cool/style factor pretty much nailed down. I'd love to give it another go around.