AnalogMan King of Tone: Worth the Hype?

PaisleyWookie

Worth what AnalogMike charges? Yeah, sure. Not my thing, but it’s a good sounding pedal. Worth what they sell for on Reverb? Hell no. No pedal is, IMO.

petty1818

I feel like it’s one of those pedals that sounds amazing live but maybe not as good in a quiet setting. I find I struggle with making it sound good at home but it’s great at rehearsals or shows. It’s worth the hype though.

Blue on black

Now I'm hungry.

How much is high price to you? I think its a low price for what it does.
I just think people don’t think clearly about this. Electronics are not magic. The cost of materials on these is tiny. It’s great he can charge what he does but, like with Klon, the prices are driven by scarcity. Something by eg Boss or TC electronics offer better value.

hippieboy

Supporting Member
I just think people don’t think clearly about this. Electronics are not magic. The cost of materials on these is tiny. It’s great he can charge what he does but, like with Klon, the prices are driven by scarcity. Something by eg Boss or TC electronics offer better value.
Who is talking about magic? do you think it's expensive? Can you tell me where can I find a dual od/dist/boost, with amazing customer service, excellent quality, great sound at a better price?

Blue on black

Who is talking about magic? do you think it's expensive? Can you tell me where can I find a dual od/dist/boost, with amazing customer service, excellent quality, great sound at a better price?

Maybe my ire is misdirected, his prices when you buy direct are not that excessive compared to some boutique pedals.

john beddoe

Pricewise, you're talking about secondhand price. Its good value brand new if you're prepared to wait.

hendrix2430

Used prices are ridiculous but I think it’s definitely well priced new... considering all the fine tuning and attention to detail that goes in Mike’s pedals.

cra1987

I think so. I’ve been on the list since May 2018, which got extended past the usual wait time while I was on it. Oh well. But my POT, which is a mainstay on my board, has been finicky recently and I’d kill for a KOT right now, so...yes, worth the hype at normal price.

loftyrocket

You guys are ridiculous.

How much is a handmade KOT from Mike?

How much is a mass produced JHS Double Barrell?

If anything, by most logic in here, the JHS is overpriced. But come on guys, it’s two effing pedals! Like hippie boy said, name another new double od that does what the JHS or KOT do for less. Both of those are phenomenal btw.

rolandk

I have a POT and it seems best suited in a live band situation with a cranked tube amp and doesn’t work that well for low volume bedroom jammimg.

Tabor

Supporting Member
You guys are ridiculous.

How much is a handmade KOT from Mike?

How much is a mass produced JHS Double Barrell?

If anything, by most logic in here, the JHS is overpriced. But come on guys, it’s two effing pedals! Like hippie boy said, name another new double od that does what the JHS or KOT do for less. Both of those are phenomenal btw.
There are many dual OD pedals. Here’s one recent thread about them: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/dual-overdrives.2015212/

loftyrocket

I realize there are tons of new dual pedals. Earthquakes Grey Channel and Fulltone Fulldrive 2 for example. Absolutely phenomenal. Now get your screwdriver and take off the back.

SMD vs Handwired.

I’m not saying SMD is bad, just considerably faster and cheaper than hand solder.

Now, sure there are a ton of home builders that may offer something similar at a fantastic price, but if it’s quality, give it a minute, and TGP will hype it up.

Take R2R treble boosters on reverb. I’ve followed him from the beginning, and his prices have gone way up over the last couple months.

Just sayin.

hunter

Supporting Member
I realize there are tons of new dual pedals. Earthquakes Grey Channel and Fulltone Fulldrive 2 for example. Absolutely phenomenal. Now get your screwdriver and take off the back.

SMD vs Handwired.

I’m not saying SMD is bad, just considerably faster and cheaper than hand solder.

Now, sure there are a ton of home builders that may offer something similar at a fantastic price, but if it’s quality, give it a minute, and TGP will hype it up.

Take R2R treble boosters on reverb. I’ve followed him from the beginning, and his prices have gone way up over the last couple months.

Just sayin.
Things like board mounted jacks, pots, dc inputs also represent faster cheaper assembly both from a board manufacturing standpoint and a final assembly standpoint. These things can reflect on pedal reliability as it is much easier for a misstep on a jack or pot to result in damage to the board. I don't mind SMD and have no concerns about sonic impact or even reliability. And if the price is right it can be considered disposable if a component goes down so being less easily repaired need not be a show stopper. Environmental impact aside.

Key being if the price reflects SMD and board mounted stuff.

Zer0beaT

SMD vs Handwired.

Just sayin.
Now THAT is a fantastic OD pedal that everyone should try! Wonder how long the wait time on that is?

Tabor

Supporting Member

SMD vs Handwired.
This is inaccurate.

KOT is made with through-hole components soldered to a PCB. This is a standard way that many companies make overdrive pedals including many dual pedals. Here's a list of some of the dual OD pedals constructed in the same way. None are surface mount (aka SMD/SMT):

King Tone Duellist
Snouse Blueline
Blackstone Appliances Mosfet Overdrive
JHS Double Barrel and Sweet Tea (older versions)
Boss SD-2
Fulldrive 2 v2
Fulldrive 3
EQD Grey Channel
GT-100
Wampler Dual Fusion
Hungry Robot HG+LG
BMF Godfather
FoxRox Festival
ZVEX Double Rock
ZVEX Box of Rock
ZVEX Box of Metal

and so on...

Menatone takes things a step further by using point to point to assemble some Fish Factory units.

Last edited:

MRCHILL4

Yes. I found the two for me years ago. Kot and an older boiling point. I’ve has many, these two ain’t going anywhere.