AnalogMan KOT has entered the building...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popsongsmith, Feb 23, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

...and it's everything I had hoped it would be. Really a sensational piece of gear. All the hype...is true.

BTW I've got a bunch of good dirt pedals for sale in the emporium, which the KOT knocked out the house : ^ ]

2. giggedy

giggedy Member

congrads, I got mine last month. Tis a truly sweet pedal.

3. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I share your joy. Incredible pedal.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

does the V4 favour hums over singles or vice vesa or is it equally good with both?

I'm having to start over with ODs after acquiring a 335...all mx ODs sound better with single coils...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

I think I'm up for my V4 in the next month or so.

I had a V2 for a while. It was very cool but I didn't quite get it tuned in with my AC30.

I have high hopes that the V4 might work really well with my Swart AST.

6. tonewave

tonewave Member

I just got a v4 kot and I got a swart AST
    good match no doubt, kot gets a good snarl out of the AST
    I find the kot to be one of those non transparent pedals that absolutely rocks anyway
    kot came and pushed my tim off the board
    not that I'm getting rid of my tim anytime soon

7. Grant Ferstat

Interesting..

I had the V2 but TIM and Timmy stayed because they worked better with my AC30.

I liked the V2 though and suspect it could be a different story for a board I'm putting together for Swart only use.

8. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

Hi Seegs,

I had the same problem, for a couple of years (playing an ibanez as200 exclusively) - i say: get a zendrive and be done with it. it is really a great pedal for 335 style guitars in my opinion. also my ethos does handle both strats and 335 style guitars REALLY well (think zendrive sounds and beyond), but it is a very deep pedal, so you should have a desire for tweaking. I think for heavy od / distortion the okko diablo would fit the bill, no? (have never played one, personally)
    later, lu.

9. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

Maybe Mike can chime in here, but I believe v2 and v4 circuits are really the same. The real difference between the two is more independent control over the channels; v2 switches between the two channels whereas v4 allows you to switch them in and out independently, stacking one into the other if you like; v2 offers one drive pot and one tone pot with control over both channels, v4 offers a separate drive and tone pot for each channel. So, v4 is more versatile in in this way, but when v2 and v4 are set identically they will sound the same on any given channel. As I said, same circuit.

10. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Just confirming that post above is totally correct! And emphasizing that the 2 channels can be used together - stacked.

Glad you are enjoying them, we made a ton of them since the holidays but are just shipping them now due to heavy shipping workloads.

Have fun!

11. Grant Ferstat

I was aware the circuit was the same but I'm actually thinking that perhaps with some more op-amp swapping I could have made the V2 work better with the Vox anyway...I wasn't so into the tweaking of such things at the time.

I was also thinking was that I could run different op-amps in each side to get the boost and OD optimised for my amps? This could be done?

In anycase I'm pretty sure it'll work nicely with the Swart which is tending to be my main gigging amp these days.

12. giggedy

giggedy Member

KOT didn't kick Tim off, I run KOT>Tim. If I HAD to only use 1 od, it would be the KOT, but running into the Tim sounds phenomenal.

13. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I should be getting an email soon. I've been on the list for 20 months.

14. eric-d

eric-d Member

I wonder how much longer I have to wait... I think I got on in late '06 .....

15. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

.The KOT4 works fine with different Guitars and Pickups.. The KOT4 is really no different than plugging straight in to the amp.335,Strat,Tele,Les pauls all sound different plugged in to an amp,The Kot's transparency allows the different guitar sounds to come through the way they should.
    So if you want a pedal that makes your different guitars all sound the same look elsewhere..

16. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

Up to this point I haven't really been able to get the KOT V4 dialed in on my AC30 either. A little too smooth and dark with the stock settings. I still need to try it with the distortion mode and the treble boosts up a bit though. I think that might be the ticket.

On the other hand, it absolutely kills with my deluxe reverb. Judging by the design goals of the KOT (from the AM site), it's not really surprising. Great pedal.

17. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

Wow, I think I'll be waiting a while, I kind of jumped on the list on a whim, I guess I just won't worry about it, makes waiting much easier if I don't think about it.

18. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

The KOT is the cat's whiskers! Nicely done Mike ;^)

19. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I am running a Vox AC30 and Marshall Bluesbreaker at the same time,using the KOT,BOR,FD2,FTDistPro,and MJM Blues Devil,and Keeley Comp along with a CC2.Absolute Bliss.All EQ is straightup on the Vox.Both amps on 4..It is a House Gig/Coverband Thing..KOT4 probably gets 50% of the action alone..
    I originally purchased a KOT years ago for use with a pair of DLX amps. Didn't like it.Not my sound.I like the DLX straight up or with an am SD1 or TS808.Deluxes are a one trick pony and does that well,but not the amp I would want to paint tones with..IMHO