Analogman KOT: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by smilefan, Jan 26, 2006.

1. smilefan

smilefan Member

The Analogman King of Tone OD has been out long enough now that some balanced opinions of users and former users must be out there.

What can you tell someone who's never heard the pedal about it?
    Good points/bad points?
    Comparisions to other dual channel OD's? Worth the money?
    Is the wait time to get one still Biblical?

Thanks for any help.

2. royd

royd Member

I've been on the list since August '04. Hopefully, I'll come to the top sometime soon.
    I understand that the list is currently closed until they get caught up a bit.

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

I can't say enough good things about the KOT. It's been the number one tool on my board since I got it. I sold my original TS-808 soon after buying the KOT and never regretted it. It melds with the amp perfectly at gig volumes, just sounds like a slightly beefier version of your guitar, just very sweet. I don't run the gain very high... I like it so much I reviewed it twice on HC, once after I bought it and again after I'd had it for more than a year.

At the moment I'm trying some other ODs just for fun, a BJF, a TIM and a Hellbilly, but the KOT isn't going anywhere.

4. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

It's a great pedal, no doubt. I think the Timmy, Zendrive and others are every bit as good. Just different flavors. In fact, I like the Timmy better. The closest thing I've heard is the Foxrox ZIM VT card. Very similar.

I did have a few beefs with it: it was too small, and the lights wiggled around loosely. They just poked up from the circuit board through 2 little holes. Doesn't really affect anything, just seemed kind of chincy. Beyond that, it always just felt to me like an unfinished idea....the lack of seperate distortion controls being the main thing.

If you've seen the picture of the new KOT that's floating around on the net..the red one... you can see that Mike has adressed most of those beefs: seperate dist.controls, bigger size, etc.

A

5. exodus

exodus Member

August '04!!! :eek: Holy crap... I had no idea the wait was that long (not that your wait has ended). How in the hell many orders does he have for this? BTW- I'm not making light of your situation or slammin Mike (I like his service), but going on a year and a half for a drive box, IMO, is pretty mindblowing. Makes the wait for an echoczar look short.

6. Shane S

Shane S Member

WOW! 1.5 + year wait! I am glad I got mine when I did. I think I waited about two months back in early 04' to get mine. They are going for really high prices on ebay as well. I had no idea it was that popular of a pedal.

7. Craise

Craise Member

Can someone please tell me if the KOT circuit is anything like the old black Marshall Bluesbraker pedal. I've heard anywhere from it's a exact clone or a copy with tweeks. As anyone had the two side by side?

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

It's not a clone of (or based on) anything from what I understand.

9. Craise

Craise Member

Are you sure? I thought I read that someone, that knew what they were doing, had reverse engineered it, and it was in fact a Marshall Bluesbraker. No one remembers this? Did I just make this up in my mind? :joAm I crazy?:NUTS

10. royd

royd Member

I think the wait isn't only because of the number of orders... Mike re-engineered the pedal in there and was backlogged on other pedals so it is my impression that none or very few were made for a long, long time. He talks about the pedal here: http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm and specifically the delay here: http://www.analogman.com/kotdelay.htm
    I think they are beginning to come out again now so hopefully the wait list will shrink, I'll get my pedal, and they'll begin taking orders again sometime.

11. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

There are at least 3 if not 4 different versions in limited numbers, so it's almost like a cluster of totally custom pedals out there. I had one early on but sold it and now I'm on the list, also since August '04.

I'm curious to see what the new version is like. It will be like comparing vintages of wine, each will have its own individual qualities.

12. Craise

Craise Member

I found this about the Bluesbraker circuit. I'm not a tech does it apply to the KOT? "The Blues Breaker uses silicon diodes in series with a resistor, in the op-amp feedback path for very soft clipping." Not trying to start a fight or anything! :) Just wondering why I have always thought that it was a copy. I pretty sure I read it on HC when the pedal first came out.

13. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I wonder has anyone compared the kot to an eternity or a Landgraff OD (2 of the best OD's on the market...) ? Waiting that long it should be the greatest thing since sliced bread, yet I dont hear that many folks boasting how great it is....such as the clay jones pedal that gets more run than any OD pedal on the earth and theres only 50 of them floating around....Perhaps there are less than 50 kots around.....hmmmm

14. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I have been on the list since Aug 04 as well. I just checked and the "auto-format-email" that I usually get now says "...backordered since May 04" and used to say April. Maybe somone slipped in some electric Ex-Lax or something as they seem to coming out in dribs and drabs. :eek:

What I would like to see is some updated photos of the new layout options (if there are more than 1). Personally I'd rather have the original/smaller layout and not one that is the size of the larger B-Comp. Think that should not be too much to ask at this juncture...

15. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Right, the line was fronzen for quite awhile....once the new ones are finalized and flowin' that line will get under control....

Yes it is the larger box like t he Sun Lion

http://www.analogman.com/sunlion.htm

same orientation/layout.... 6 knobs:AOK

16. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I thought it was now 5 knobs: (2) Drive, (2) Vol, (1) Tone?? + (2) Footswitch: On/OFF, Red/Yellow Channel

If someone has a picture of the new version in the Sunlion enclosure I sure would like to see and likely others would as well. Thanks!

17. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Anyone know of any clips of this pedal? Never heard it.

18. on a wave

on a wave Member

i was thinking of replacing my ocd with a kot. so my setup would be:

Tuner-->Wah-->Sunlion-->KOT...

any suggestions anyone?

19. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i have one of the 4-knob versions and have compared it to a tim, eternity, landgraff, etc.... most of the overdrives out there (but not the clay jones).

it's not quite as transparent as the tim (which is the most transparent overdrive i've heard). that's doesn't make one better or worse. but the kot (particularly the red channel) colors your tone just a tad. more so than the tim but less so than the red snapper if that's any reference. the eternity totally colors your tone, but in a good, vocal way - and the landgraff has the tubescreamer mid hump that makes the tone fat and smooth.

also, even the red channel at full gain has nowhere near the gain as the eternity or landgraff. i don't think it's designed with that much gain it mind. but it does give you two very good rhythm/lead crunch sounds.

so gain and coloration are the main two differences i notice. it's relatively smooth and plays well with other pedals, fwiw.

20. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

The KOT, hmmm that's an interesting one for me.
    I've have a 4 knob version for a couple of months and I must admit I seem to be having an on/off affair with it. I also have a Timmy and would agree with zoooonbiex that the KOT is not as transparent as this style of pedal.

I really do like the functionality of the KOT. By that I mean that I love the fact that there are two volume controls enabling you to set the yellow channel as rhythm level clipping and then have a bigger volume lift preset in the red channel for solos. I also really like the gain range in both modes, particularly the yellow channel. I find it easy to fine tune the amount of drive I want compared to TS pedals, FD2s etc which get dirty a lot earlier.

I guess it all comes down to whether the colouration suits your guitar/amp and this is where I have an issue. With the standard chip I've found that it adds a bit of mid-range in an area that doesn't really suit my vox...maybe too much of a frequency that is already very prominent in the vox sound perhaps? I've tried a Texas 4558P and that seems to lower this frequency peak which I think I prefer, but then it also seems to increase the compression characteristics.

I have friends who use Fender amps who love the King of Tone. I think it really fills in the Blackface fender sounds really well. Considering the genesis of the KOT I guess this isn't surprising. I think the King of Tone is a really well designed pedal but is perhaps more dependant on the guitar/amp used than something 'transparent' with a wider ranging EQ such as the TIM/Timmy.

A comment re the waiting list. The truth is the waiting list could have been made shorter...by Mike charging more! Let's face it many companies would have done this-"Analogman Custom Shop' perhaps? Maybe he's just a victim of his own fair pricing?