ANALOGMAN MIKE ! I have a couple of ideas about the DD7

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Andre357, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Just picked up a Boss DD7 and it's a fantastic pedal - quiet, toneful, quality buffer and easy to use. I think it could be the best of the DD series. I was using it with my Timefactor and Nova last night and the quality of the dd7 delays is just as good if not better on some settings !

Mike- here's a couple of ideas for mods ( I'm putting it in this public forum so others can chime in )

1 ) How about an external or internal trimmer to adjust the rate of the modulation ? The intensity seems right but i wish i could slow it down ( it's almost a vibrato )....or how about a mini switch for stock ( fast ) and traditional ( a more traditional medium speed chorus ).

2 ) how about a switch so that you can use the dotted 8th note rythmn in any mode. I really wish I could us the dotted 8th in the analog mode and the modulation mode.

Mike, maybe these mods are impossible but if anyone can do them I'm sure you and your team can.

By the way, my new DD7 and your most excellent anaolg delay ( my favorite analog delay of all time and i've owned them all ) could be a match made in heaven on my board and end up in permanent residency together !!

Others feel free to chime in or react to my ideas for mods on the DD7.

Thanks.

2. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I haven't tried a DD7 yet, but based on the specs, I suppose a hicut mod would be nice too. I like the ability to roll off some treble on the repeats with digital delays.

3. Andre357

Andre357 Member

The DD7 has a nice analog mode stock. It's not as dark as many analog delays out there, but it sounds very nice and much more analog like than a typical didgital delay...

But I must say even the digital delay sounds on the dd7 sound warmer and thicker than many digital delays I have heard. Boss has a winner I think.

4. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Those are cool ideas, I will keep them in mind and see what we can do once we open one up and see how it ticks. Thanks!

5. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I picked up a DD-7 recently as well - great stock pedal and the analog setting is very close to my old analog Boss DM-3.

+1 for Andre's suggestions.

6. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Good to know, but I'm set for analog delay. I've also got a DD5 but don't care for the sterility of it (I should send it to analogman for hicut mod). My favorite sounding delay right now is the Danelectro Danecho which has a hicut knob. If that had tap tempo and a decent buffer or truebypass it would be gold. I like analog delays (I love my DMM) but they impose their own character on your tone. Right now I want a transparent digital delay that allows me to warm it up by rolling off treble, but at the same time doesn't add anything extra like analog delays do. And with tap tempo.

7. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Thanks Mike - Keep us posted !

8. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Mike, any mods you think you could do with this pedal as mentioned above ??

Thanks !

9. starfish

starfish Member

I can notice tone suck with my DD-7. I suspect that the bypassed signal is converted to digital. The giveaway - the delay trails when you go into bypass mode. Is there any way to change the bypass to a dry analog signal and bypass the DAC?

10. Ized

Ized Member

The DD7 also seems to add noise whether the pedal is on or off...especially noticeable with high gain......I removed it off my board, and the noise seems to less prominent. Could it be the buffer of the pedal? Maybe a mod to fix this would be great!

11. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Interesting. I have found noise when powering the DD7 with a Dunlop brick.

Using a pp2 or it's own power supply the noise if negligible, even with high gain.....maybe the power jack isnt isolated on the dd7 or something ??

How are you powering yours ?

12. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

you think the DD7 rivals the eventide???
    I don't think so at ALL!

13. Ized

Ized Member

I'm using a one spot adapter, which im using it to power 9 pedals on my board sans the DD7. I dont get any noise issues at all with the DD7 out of the chain...... and there's added noise, just a little so i can tolerate but it seems to add noise even when bypassed is what bugs me.

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Does not rival it overall....no. But the Analog setting on the DD7 is most excellent........and if i only needed that one sound at a gig and no presets ( maybe just a min tap pedal plugged into the dd7 for tap tempo ) I would only bring the dd7 and I'd leave the Eventide at home.....quite happily IMHO

15. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I'm still really digging the analog mode of the DD-7. My analog delays are the DMM and AD999 so that's saying a lot :phones