Analogman Mini BiComp vs. Diamond Comp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Jan 14, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Hey guys, i got my diamond compressor today, and i think i found my new obsession ... compressors. This was my first compressor i've ever played and i fell in love with what it did to my clean tones and the neck pick up on my tele. This has also sparked a lot of interest in other compressors, since i don't know too much about the differences. I noticed that the diamond was very subtle which is great for my clean stuff, but i wasn't really sure it would cut it for my countryish lead parts (not chicken pickin) . That said, the analog bicomp seems like a very nice pedal for me to get so i can hear what the Ross and Squeezer compressors sound like. The idea of having 2 compressors in one excites me, because i would like to have a subtle setting (like my diamond at around 3 o clock) and i would also like to have something for smooth low-medium gain leads (think keith urban-ryan adams).

Do you the bicomp may be right for me? or should i stick with the diamond?

also, can both "channels" on the bicomp be on at the same time?

thanks, jon

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Jon,
    Yes both channels can be on at the same time, however I have never used that function. I love the SS Bicomp I just got, and loved my mini bicomp i once had. The Saffron Squeeze part of the bicomp i just got is very nice(like it better than the ross). I still like the juicer side as well for more country riffage, but for leads that sing forever eternity into saffron squeeze.... ;) For clean tones it just depends. I have never tried the diamond compresser though. Maybe you should just get a mini bicomp (they hold their value very well and if you dont like it you can get most of your money back)

Derek

3. themusicboxstudios

i think i may have to try out the bicomp before i get my morning dew eq ...

any other opinions?

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I too own a diamond, and really love it. Like you said, though, it is more of a subtle effect. I'd go with another compressor for squishy tones, which I'd place first (or close to it) in your signal, and put the diamond (at around 9:00) close to last.

Lots of studios use this double compression technique and heck, why shouldn't you be able to do this live?

For great comps that won't force you to sell one of your kids, you can check out the Marshall ED-1 or the Barber Tone Press

5. themusicboxstudios

that sounds like it would be great, but i don't really have the floor space or the money to have 2 compressors on my board :(

i thought i had it all figured out ... i have enough money to buy one more pedal ... and the morning dew eq was going to be it ... but i love this compressor thing ... and now i've been bitten by the red witch (deluxe moon phaser) bug :(:(

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

OMG brotha you gotta get a moon phaser!!!! They are insane!!! The best phaser I have ever heard. Did you listen to the clips @ musictoyz? Then again for the basic necessities of tone an EQ is said by some to be of monumental importance. With your amp though, I would've thought you'd have EQ covered. My carr rambler has all the eq I could want (I guess there is the pre-gain EQing stuff too though).... ahh choices choices. What I would do is keep the diamond for your comp, hellbilly/timmy OD, ML delay, moon phaser. Anyways, good luck.

7. themusicboxstudios

hahah, ya ... i'm starting to think that the compressor is doing for me what i wanted my SBEQ to do for me. So i may not need to find another EQ after all ... i love what this does to my cleans ... it's just beautiful.

Derek, i think i may have to follow your guidance (it's what i was thinking anyway) ... i like my blue boy ... but i don't know if i love it ... and i'd rather have the red witch since i don't have any modulation on my board what so ever ... i'd really like to kill two (or three) birds with one stone with the moon phaser. I love a good trem, but a vibe and phaser have also kind of interested me later ... is the red witch going to give me a good variety of the three? or should i look somewhere else?

but the question of switching to a bicomp still troubles me ... i'm afraid i'll miss the diamond comp

thanks again derek, it's cool that we've been seeing eye to eye on a few things lately.

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Honestly, I would say you would miss the diamond. The Bicomp isnt quite so subtle. The ross side does take a lot away from your pick attack, and the juicer side is nice for making the signal sound "full" and is very nice for those country style leads, but there are MANY juicer clones out there to choose from if you want that type compression. The red witch is able to do the tremolo, vibe, phaser thing VERY well! Between the red witch and the DLS Chorus-Vib I am all set with modulation. The red witch is a pedal I plugged into and thought OMG this is awesome. Few pedals have given me that feeling.

9. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I use my Diamond Comp as a tone shaper too thanks to its EQ knob. I've been thru quite a few compressors and the Diamond was my fav - very versatile. I haven't tried the Barber or the Analogman ones tho', but don't sell that Diamond, that EQ knob is unique.

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

again, curehardy, I stress checking out a marshall ED-1. It is a great quality, transparent compressor for under 100 bucks! It cando the subtle thing or the over the top squishy thing, the 4 knobs on it are excellent. You can also try before you buy, as any Guitar Center will have one in stock

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=Compressor

11. msp

msp Member

i would seriously consider the barber tone press

it can go to the extremes and the blend option is more usefull to me then actually eq'ing the compressed signal (i prefer to lightly mix in a seriously compressed signal to the origonal)

verry interactive to picking styles and attack, allso serves as a great boost

it does the chicken picken to no end and is realativly easy to get a "phishy" like sustain too..........

i haven't had too much experience with the diamond (played it on my rig for about a day....and loved it, but had a harder time finding the "super sustain" type of interaction

i have owned the analogman comp (ross version) for a few years but it was easily bumped off of my board for the barber (not that its bad its just the barber hits the sweet spots to my style and ears more so than the AM ross clone)

i have heard great things about the orange squeezer clone by Mike tho (but it doesn't seem versatile enough for the knob tweeker....)

12. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

It also has an internal trimpot :)

13. sus4

sus4 Member

What are some other good "Juicer" clones?

Daniel

14. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I have a full size Bicomp that I use with my FTR37 and it is one of my favorite pedals with this amp.

It is not a subtle comp. Although it can be mild, the magic for me is in full on compressed sustain. Really fun as a lead pedal.

IMO, the FTR37 has such a beautifull full clean, a comp really doesn't add much for clean strummy stuff. I use a compressor for more of the effect, and the Analogman is definately a heavy duty sound. Not a wimpy comp for sure.

15. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Pedalworx mc squeeze
    kaden Sapsucker
    But a used juicer can be had fairly cheap $100 on ebay

16. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

This is so true. I just had no need for my BiComp with this amp. I'm going to try the BJF pale green comp for when I need more "polished" sounds.

Off topic, I sent you a PM about an FTR specific question :)

17. drolling

drolling Member

Jon, I'm a tele player from way, way back and you're not going to get that 'nashville' style compression out of the Diamond.

But like you say, the subtle magic it works, along with that 'tilt' EQ, is gonna make it tough to give up. Diamond's an 'optical' compressor- one of the design aspects that give it that great sound. I've been reading about the Aphex Punch Factory- another opto-comp that's a lot cheaper than the D. I saw one in the emporium for 80 bucks the other day.

That would leave you the cash to get another comp (I've got 4) for the trad. country stuff. I've got an old DynaComp that's perfect for chicken pickin and a Boss CS-2 for fake pedal steel licks. Should be able to get one of those for cheap..

18. themusicboxstudios

thanks for the help drolling ... i'm pretty sure i'm gonna keep the diamond. and i think i'm gonna spring for something to get me more "nashville" sounds.

thanks a lot for those recs. what would you say to be a good compressor for pedal steel licks and just overall "nashville" compression.

would the barber cut it? or do i need more of a ross sounding pedal.

that's exactly what i was going for, and you gave me the words to describe it.

19. msp

msp Member

the barber tone press would be ideal for the nashville type compression

it is based on the traditional ross/dyna type compressors........and its verry affordable (about 140 new if i remember correctly)

with a lot of upgrades: its a parallel compressor so you can blend in the origonal signal with the compressed one (wich sounds devine) it can serve as a clean boost (or clean boost with light compression) ...

or it can be set heavy to pump and breath

there is aninternal trim pot to set the attack of the comp

i have been in love with mine ever since i have gotten it 6 months ago (there are a lot of subtleties to this one, its not a one trick pony like the ross clones are....not that thats bad if that is all that you need)

20. drolling

drolling Member

There was a great thread awhile back, where a poster broke down all the types of comps, how they worked, and which was best for each style. Guy musta been an engineer of some kind - I got a headache just reading it..

Anyway, he was more of a fan of the Ross and Orange Squeezer clones, neither of which I've had any experience with.

Players here and on the Gretschpages rave about the Barber comp, which lets you mix in your dry guitar signal for a more 'natural' sound. Haven't tried one, but I'm not normallly a fan of mixing in straight guitar w/any type of effect - and every Barber pedal I've played has a predominant mid voicing, which I've been trying to get away from (recovering tubescreamer abuser).

In discussions w/studio players on the tele page, the old script logo DynaComp and the Boss CS-2 (no tone knob like the current CS-3) keep coming up time and again.

Its the fast attack & release that makes the Dynacomp the first choice for chicken pickin. Most players just set it, forget it and kick it in for solos.

The CS-2's used for those bendy licks because it muffles the attack and provides lots of smooth sustain. The guys w/B benders in their teles swear by this one.

And that's how I use em too. Back when I only had one beat up tele & an old vibrolux, my whole signal chain was those two comps & an analog delay.

Now I've got a tuner and everything!