Analogman Mini Chorus, VFE Pedals Choral Reef, or Catalinbread Callisto?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matts Tone, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I've been looking for another Chorus pedal having last year sold my EWS Arion Chorus.
    I've tried & owned quite a few over the last 10 years:

Analogman Standard Chorus
    Moollon Chorus
    TC Electronic SCF
    Red Witch Empress
    Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble
    Dr Scientist Cosmic-Chorus
    EWS Arion Chorus

Out of all the pedals above I've tried I have to say my favorite was Analogmans Chorus - I'm not too sure why I sold it.
    I have to admit there was no bad Chorus amongst any I've tried just different, but the thick lush sounds out of the Analogman Chorus were fantastic.

Now I'm back again looking for another Chorus & are thinking of ordering a Analogman Mini Chorus.
    But before I do I was wondering if anyone has compared the Analogman Chorus to either the VFE Pedals Choral Reef or Catalinbread Callisto?
    Both the VFE Pedals Choral Reef & Catalinbread Callisto sound excellent from clips I've heard & are very tempting, but I know what to expect with Analogmans Chorus & is real simple to use which is always a good thing by me - I'm not a pedal tweaker.

Thanks guys for any input you can share :aok

2. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I had the AM Chorus and mine rolled off quite a bit off the high end and overall seemed more '80's sounding than I liked so I wound up selling it.

After trying some other good choruses (Diamond, Iron Ether, Neunaber) and not bonding I gave up and started looking at phasers and vibes instead.

The VFE Choral Reef Chorus demo by Mike Hermans sounded so good though that I bought one and I really like it. The controls really work well to be able to dial in a variety of sounds from cool to warm. There are some really nice rotary sounds in there too.

-bEn r.

3. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

If I had to put in order of faves...

Analogman (with depth control), then choral reef, and last is callisto. Callisto is ok. You should really try the JHS emperor! good stuff

4. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Thanks bEn r. very useful & like you after trying quite a few Chorus pedals went & tried Phasers & Vibes - Skreddy Little Miss Sunshine, MXR 100 etc but realised what I'm after is the warm analog Chorus sound with the option to dial in a leslie speaker sound (which all good Chorus' can do).

I still really like the sound of the analogman Chorus & seems more "watery" than other Chorus' I've played which I liked but also did like the variation of sounds I heard from Mike Hermans clip of the VFE Choral Reef!

The Catalinbread Callisto also sounds good from Andy's Clip on PGS but are currently favouring the Analogman Chorus or VFE Choral Reef.

5. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Thanks dpgreek, if I do go the Analogman route I was thinking of getting the added depth switch.
    I'll have a look at the JHS Emperor but was looking for a more compact pedal & I'm aware the JHS Emperor is not that small!

6. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Oddly after speaking to a few folks & hearing clips I'm actually now more interested in the Hartman Flanger. As that sounds like the kind of modulated tones I'm after & can do Leslie speaker tones.

7. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Two thoughts,

I have an AM Bichorus, and I think the three-position depth switch is just awesome. Goes from transparent to very "watery". Also you can set one side for chorus, and the other side for very passable faux-Leslie (fast speed) effects.

I also have the Hartman Flanger. It does do some great chorus sounds, but I get better faux-Leslie sounds from my A/DA flanger....

8. paulikus

paulikus Member

I've had the VFE Choral Reef for about a year now and I'm going to sell it. When I first go it, I really liked it. But now, when I go back to it, I find it much too bright and thin. I also find good sounds are hard to dial in. the middle range switch position is the quietest, the left and right positions bring a lot of noise with them. nice layout and nice to have the Blend/Mix control, but I just find it too hard to dial in sounds that I like. I was actually just reading what seemed to be good stuff about the Callisto, but it sounds like some here are no so pleased with it.

I need something, small, warm, highly adjustable/versatile with a mix knob. any other suggestions welcome.

9. IRG

IRG Member

I had reviewed the Callisto a while back for the Tone Report. I liked it a lot, and not too long ago, I bought one for myself, if that says anything. Also, I run mine before my dirt pedals. I use it a lot for vibrato. I set the mix to 100% (and sometimes alternate to about 50% mix, which brings back some of the treble), set the speed faster, depth fairly low (otherwise it will get too seasick sounding) and delay time to taste. Does a really nice warbly vibrato bordering on vibe effect.

I also like it with cleans in a more traditional chorus type setting, slower speeds, more depth, and perhaps what I like most about it, is that it does NOT have the 80's feel to it at all. Very natural sounding, without being overpowering. Although I'm sure it can be that too if you want it to be.

Haven't used the others, but the Callisto is a real winner in my book.

10. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

having just purchased the analogman mini chorus ( i opted for the mix knob and depth switch)...i would definitely go with that. it just makes me want to keep playing my guitar! love it so much!

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

I love the Tri chorus by TC Electronic and plan to get the Gravy.

For chorus, my MXR Analog Chorus beats out many boutique choruses. Very warm and full and has bass and treble controls.

The Jacques Meistersinger is a fantastic chorus!!!! Analog too.

The Choral Reef I think is too tweaky.

Catalinbread is fantastic. Thick, Rich, the biggest and most spacious mono chorus pedal you will find! I have the Catalinbread Montavillian delay which is amazing.

With the AM Mini chorus, I would get the mix knob. Never heard of their depth knob but the have a thick toggle. I like clips of the AM Mini on clean tones but have never heard a clip of it with gain. Also, what is watery??? My favorite chorus for clean is full, warm, lush, and deep/dimensional. I tend to like the more complicated circuit of a thicker Boss CE2 and all of the clones like Meistersinger, MXR, etc.

Some pedals claim designed for clean and gain, like the Mad Professor Electric Blue chorus, Jacques and TRex. However I think a well designed chorus will incorporate this into the depth and level controls assuming it is a blend control
    Also, a pedal like the Wampler Nirvana.has a thick switch, and the Castillo has a knob called density that is a thick knob.
    Also with the Reef.
    Some pedals have 2 or 3 controls for thickness.

Didn't like the JHS at all for my tastes.
    For example regarding delay, my Duncan Vapor Trail beat the JHS and AM delay.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  12. papersoul

papersoul Member

Have you tried the Catalinbread Montavillian? One of the best delays ever.