Analogman/MXR Phase 45 w/ mods or another stage 2 phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, May 28, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hi all,

I have been looking into phasers and univibe pedals. I have played some and have been listening to demos. I am loving the MXR phase 45. I love it with gain and clean.

I hear people talking about volume drops or a bump in volume? I would use the 45 for some clean and some solos! I like the more subtle sound of the 45 while remaining thick and chewy, especially for classic rock and 90s alternative and grunge hich I play lots of.

Which Analogman mods are the ones to get. Maybe that Vibe toggle?

Any other good stage 2 phasers you guys like?

Jam Pedals Ripple?

I like thick, chewy and rich. Nothing too bright or thin.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. On a Budget

On a Budget Member

The DOD 201 phasor is a 2 stage phaser similar to the 45, in the past I preferred the 201 to the Phase 45

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

I will check out the 201. Thanks.
    I am also checking out the Jam Pedals Ripple.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

So, is your hunt from the other thread more refined now?
    I think the DOD 201 seems interesting because it's one knob adjusts the depth with the speed.
    Did you check out the Skreddy LMS? It is 4 stage I believe, but awesome nonetheless. At least in reviews and demos.

5. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

You can get an amazing sound and a million more features (including the 2 stages that you want) with the VFE enterprise (now tractor beam) compared to the little miss overpriced.

6. Seagullshame

Seagullshame Member

I have a stock Phase 45 and there doesn't seem to be much, if any, of a volume drop. Not that I've noticed. Never used it live though, so at loud volumes maybe there is one. Definitely no volume bump with mine. I also use a 9 volt adapter with my normal power supply so I don't have to use a battery, since there is no power input. It's a great pedal. You could always buy the stock version and see what you think, and if you need it modded then you can send it to Analogman.
    I will say I also have heard good things about DOD 201.

7. tabb74

tabb74 Member

I'm sorta in the same boat, was looking for a vibey phaser, as I only want one modulation pedal on my board. Sometimes I want a univibe sound, but I've always had a thing for phasers too, so its hard to decide. Was using a modded Phase 90 for a while (R29 mod), got tired of the sound, too over the top for anything other than solos, too wobbly with the speed higher than noon, sounds muddy and undefined to me now. Tried the DOD reissue 201, liked it at home especially with the speed maxed to cop that Thorazine Shuffle/ Leslie thing, but didn't work for me at band practice. In my rig, the 201 seemed to actually boost the lows, so it was a little too muddy and didn't cut through. Tried the new EHX Bad Stone, just didn't do it for me, and the fixed filter feature sounded horrible, only good in one spot of the sweep, and had some kind of weird tracking issue, notes got flubby.

Currently still trying out the EQD Grand Orbiter v2, more on the pitch bender vibratro side, and the phasing is quite different from a Phase 90 (its OTA based), finding a lot of nice sounds, and I'm really digging the fixed filter/phase option, very vocal fixed wah sounds there. Also can get some very undulating wah/vocal tones on the vibrato side , a very unique sounding effect. So far I like it, no weird issues to speak of, very tweakable, its just not.... vibey? Maybe I was expecting something...wetter sounding, but its a cool pedal none the less, much more of a refined, hifi sounding phaser than any of the others I have owned.

You might laugh, but for $45, the Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe still does a pretty damn good Univibe, I like the mix knob on it, and for me it passes the Thorazine Shuffle test (I know Warren uses the H&K Rotosphere for that effect). I may get around to modding it one day to get rid of the delay issue, and I really don't mind the volume boost, as it works in the band I'm in to make that part stick out. I was hoping to get a similar sound with the Grand Orbiter, but I'm finding they are really two totally different effects; photocell vibe versus a four stage phaser/pitch bending vibrato. So I may just end up using both pedals, kinda hard to justify spending more on a better Univibe when I only need that effect in one part of one song right now. Plus I may find a setting that works close enough on the Grand Orbiter after messing with it more.

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks guys
    ..I have narrowed the search. I am leaning toward the phase side and one that does the univibe thing well. From clips of solos, the 45 seems to do it for me. In that coney it reminds me of the univibe/wah like sounds I hear on some Pearl Jam solos and cantrell solos.

Regarding a fixed wah, the ED Grand Orbiter v2 is tempting but I would love to hear a sample. I swear I hear a fixed wah on some of the alternative band solos from the 90s. Some of the univibe or Rotovibe e seem to do that.

This are some qualities I hear with the P45 with high gain solos.

I always seem to come back to MXR. Years ago I bought a bunch of boutique phasers and ended up liking MXR phasers best

I have listening to clips of the Jam Pedals The Ripple, buy doesn't sound as good to me as the 45.

I wonder why I never hear a volume drop in the samples and videos I watch. Maybe there are mods... to fix that or possibly a P45 clone or 2 stage Phaser with level or mix knob.

9. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I use a vintage Phase 45 and don't have an issue with volume drop or the bypass. If I were getting one from Analogman, I'd probably go for the 9v and led options. Other than that, the 45 is great how it is!

10. papersoul

papersoul Member

Cool, that is all I need to hear. Maybe I will get one stock and send to analogman if I like it.

11. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

I have a reissue of the dod ...good pedal

12. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

You might want to check out the Tone Factor "Nebula" they made a few years ago. It's a great sounding MXR 45 clone without the issues of the original.

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The Jam Pedals Ripple seems more pronounced than the Phase 45. I would use it for some cleans instead of always delay or chorus.
    Also like some movement on solos. I love how some guys get almost like a wah or stuck wah tone on solos. I hear that with some phasers and univibes. I am trying trying to decide if I want one that either can boost enough with volume or mids, may be good.

14. SpectorDave

SpectorDave Member

I picked up a Retro Sonic phaser last year and it's not been off my board since I got it, i love it!

Has a volume control so that deals with any potentional volume drop or boost. I used it with a slower speed in front of dirt and a bit more speed with a clean tone. It's brilliant!

15. scolfax

scolfax Member

If you buy a DOD 201 within the next two days you get a free Digitech HT-6 tuner.

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

I had the Retro Sonic Phaser but I replaced it with an MXR Phaser.
    I hated the Retro Sonic. Sounded to sterile and hi fi. MXR phaser have more character and are much warmer and thicker. Plus I don't play Van Halen or Zakk Wylde any longer so I don't need a 4 stage phaser. I prefer a 2 stage phaser these days or a univibe

17. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I agree.. you probably need a good buffer somewhere because the volume drop is just the high impedance signal loading down. Buffer will fix that. Put one after your overdrives and right before your phase and modulation.

I absolutely love the Phase 45.. its on my Bass board cause the Castledine Supravibe is 100 times better than the P45 for guitar, imho

18. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks for the input! I can't decide on this, a Ripple, a Keeley, maybe even the MXR Univibe, etc. I keep coming back to a univibe as well.

19. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

If you want thick syrupy chewy organic then only a really authentic Uni-vibe will do.. but you can still some great sounds from these other ones you've mentioned. The only REAL way ( as it is with us all ) is to either test them at a music store, or simply buy a few and sell what doesnt float your boat, sell off. Best of luck!

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

Well said, I agree. I wish more stores carried some of these pedals. I will have to take my normal route and buy and sell, trade, etc.

Regarding univibe. I would use it in a few ways. First as a modulation over some clean tones, once in a while on rhythm, tones, but more often on some dolos like what you hear on Pearl Jam's Live or State of Love and Trust (McCready). I hear Alice in Chains (Cantrell) use a univibe or rotovibe.

I don't care about a true circuit - I just want it to sound great, and be thick n chewy on leads bu more subtle for cleans.
    I have been looking at phasers, mostly 2 stage, as an alternative.

That said, I am considering the Love Pedal Vibronaut, Bearfoot FX Mint Green Vibe, Earthquaker Devices The Depths. These are real univibe circuits according to what I know, but not sure about the Mint Green Vibe. I use humbuckers mostly which is part of why I come back to the E.D. The Depths - recommended for humbuckers.