AnalogMan or Robert Keeley

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by D-seven, Dec 22, 2005.

1. D-seven

D-seven Member

Can anybody tell me which modifications are better from AnalogMan or From Keeley? And what is the major difference between them?

2. John E

John E Member

Both good, but it depends on which pedal you are talking about as to the variances. I had a modded BD-2 from both, both were outstanding. I prefered the AM only because Keeley starts at a higher gain floor so it is more compatible with using the vol Knob on the guitar, and I was using it as a boost with hair.

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

4. D-seven

D-seven Member

Should it be correct to consider Analogman modification approach is to "deduct" unnecessary tones to increase readability of the sound like his 808-mods do with Boss and Maxon.
    At the same time does Keeley approach mean "adding" something of his own to the original sound.

5. D-seven

D-seven Member

Suppose Boss modifications

6. john b

john b Supporting Member

I have a Keeley modded Boss DS-1 and Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. I don't have any experience with Analogman.

As far as the Boss goes, the mod is a completely different pedal than the original (which had been sitting in my closet for 2 years before I sent it in for the mod!) Gone is the thin, tinny sound. It is a much more dynamic and fuller pedal. The Ultra setting has a huge bottom end and the tone and dist. settings are very sensitive. It seems to have more gain and volume than the original and goes from a pretty mild o.d to a walloping distortion. I'm using this pedal daily now.

The SD mod is only on the "drive" function and definitely hot rods it quite a bit. It seems to have about 2x the gain that it did. This is cool in how it works with the "clean" knob - much more variation. The pedal also seems to have much more output than the original did with a fuller, more detailed sound.

His work seems to add alot to these pedals, the least of which is the totally cool blue LED.

Hope this helps.

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have a Keeley TS9 and an AM std TS9 as well as a Silver. They all are nice. The Keeley has more low end and maybe a little more gain, good with single coils, the Aman std is tighter in the low end and sounds great with humbuckers. The Silver works the best to me with both HB and single coils.

Mike and Robert are both great guys who make great pedals. It's really a matter of personal taste.

8. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

For my ears, I like AMs Boss SD-1/808 Silver and Keeley's DS-1 SEM. I recently shipped my AM SD-1/808 Silver to Keeley to fix the 'bleed when off' issue with the SD-1. It is completely 'tricked-out', having been to both shops!

9. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I have a few pedals from both guys........

All great stuff - you need to try 'em yourself though... It's a matter of personal taste.

On some pedals they are similar, but both are a significant improvement over stock :)

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

A.M. all the way...

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

I thought the "bleed when off" issue was supossed to be resolved with AM's mod along with improvement of the pedal, and with the silver mod even better, wasn't it?

12. mmorse

mmorse Member

I have a re-issue tube screamer I want modified. I too am undecided who to send it to. Mine needs to work well with both a LP and a Strat. The stock pedal doesn't have enough volume boost and I have keep the tone knob almost full left. Doesn't seem to be much of a range on the gain either. Whose mod addresses these issues he best.

13. mbratch

mbratch Member

The Keeley modded TS-9 makes it TS-808 like, and he increases the sweep of both the gain knob and the tone knob, which may address both of your issues.

I suspect both Keeley or Analogman could address your problem. Have you tried emailing either of them about what you want and asking what they'd charge to address it?

14. mbratch

mbratch Member

Neither is better, they're just different. I don't think there's a single simple way to define their difference. At least certainly not a sentence or two that would help you evaluate their mods without actually trying them. You might want to read through some of the reviews on Harmony-Central to get a feel for what people say about their modified pedals.

15. 89strat

89strat Member

I had both an anologman and a Keeley TS-9. The analogman sounded more like the older ts808, which I was able to compare to side by side at a local store. The keeley ts-9 also sounded like the the TS808, but more of it. The mid range is still there, but not overpowering, more sweet sounding, and it's not that Keeley's is more bassy, it's just that the bass doesn't drop out like most tube screamers. I just got the Keeley TS-9 recently, and I'm having a ball with it. I prefer it over the Analogman, but really, the differences are so small for anyone in a crowd to notice.