Analogman, silver or not (TS content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soulgolem, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Hi I'm thinking of getting a TS-9 Tube screamer moded by Analogman. But I can't seem to decide whether I want the silver option or not. Not sure if it's really what I want... Comparisions would be nice.

I use mainly Teles, thinline Teles and a Vox AC30.

Thanks.
    Francis.

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have a MaxonOD9. I sent it to Mike for the Silver Mod and I think it did a world of good for that pedal. The articulation and clarity of the pedal is fantastic now. There is still a slight mid hump, but it sounds so natural and dynamic. Go ahead and stuff your money in the battery compartment and get it off to Mike. You will be glad that you did! M.E.

3. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

At one time I had both sided by side. The silver will sound more full range, meaning balanced through highs mids and lows. It cleans up nicely via the guitar. The standard model has the TS signature of less bass and more mids. Cleans up only averagely.

I found the Silver is better if you are gonna use it as an OD for one of your main tones and works the guitar volume. The standrad model sounded best used as a solo boost to an alreaday overdriven sound, since the cut in bass plus more mids helps notes sing and be heard in a band mix.

Chris

4. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

This was my finding as well. Let me add that I have a friend with the AM Silver and we compared it directly to my Maxon OD9 and TS808RI. The Silver and the stock Maxon were so close I'd dare anyone to tell them apart. As it comes the Maxon already sounds clearer like the TS Silver mod. Of course that's not to say doing the Silver mod to the Maxon won't make it even better, but I like mine just as much as the AM Silver the way it came, and it's true-bypass to boot.

5. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

Why don't you get an Analog Man modded OD-9... I think it's the same price.

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    The Silver mod is the only way to go!!! I have all of the Keeley and Analogman man TS-9 mods, plus the OD-9 mods. Of note the TS-9 and the OD-9 are NOT the same pedal, the TS-9 has the trademark mid hump to it's eq curve, were as the OD-9 is flatter, more truer eq response. As Analog Mike says the OD-9 is loved by the jazz guys because of that flat eqing. So it's not apples to apples, it's apples to oranges....

TheGrooveking

7. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

The difference to me was quite apparent. The Silver had even more clarity and focus. M.E.

8. theelectic

theelectic Guest

The OD-9 may be a bit flatter sounding, but it's still mid humped. The actual frequency shaping parts in an OD-9 are identical to a TS-9.

9. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I have an SD-1/808/Silver (that I'm selling unfortunately - only because my Sparkle Drive works better with my setup and I cannot keep both)...I orignally had just the 808 mod done and it sounded too dull and midrangey. I sent it back to Mike and added the Silver (with the clipping selector too) which made it into a more clear and articulate yet extremely smooth overdrive. Definitely get the Silver mod!

10. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

I have a regular analogman modded ts9 with the red face on it for sell if you are interested.

11. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Not sure with what I will go just yet. What should be better with my Vox amp ? it's said that the Vox being already strong in mid frequencies, the silver mod should work better, but I hear the 80's U2 sound was a Vox and a TS-9... And to what I've heard, it sounds very good, so i'm still not sure. Any further opinions are well appreciated.

Francis.

12. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

I have read most of The Edges stuff in the 80's was Vox and a ts9 very simple.

13. DK207

DK207 Member

I have the OD-9 silver into the TS-9/808 and love them. The OD-9/silver is a clearer/more transparent pedal as stated on AM's site, and I use the TS-9/808 for solos and heavier OD when needed. I will eventually get another OD-9 silver, but $$ is tight since I just bought a house. I'd start with the silver and then get the regular. The Maxon is true bypass, so that's why I chose it over the TS-9 (actually it was a med school graduation gift from a friend, but that is why he chose it) and they're the same price through AM.

14. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I have the Analogman modded TS-9 and just recently acquired his OD-9 with the Silver Option. Both pedals are excellent and sound KILLER!

As others have already mentioned, the Silver Option does make the pedal sound slightly more open...but to my ears the difference is extremely subtle. The charecteristic midrange hump is still VERY apparent in the Silver Modded pedal...if it wasn't...it wouldn't be a Tube Screamer! ;)

The biggest difference that I notice between the two is my TS-9 is capable of more gain and volume than my Silver Modded OD-9. :confused: I don't know if that has anything to do with the Silver Mod or if it's just due to differences from pedal to pedal(??).

15. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I've had both the TS-9/silver and vintage TS-9. The silver mod takes away some of the rough character of the TS-9. For low gain to med gain, the silver mod works great with the overdrive level at any position. But, there are certain things that I love the rough character of an old stock TS-9. It has a little more in-your-face attitude.

16. 65bfdr

65bfdr Member

I agree with the last post. The silver mod made my ts-9 too smooth for my taste. I like the ts-9 for what it is and I'm planning to get one of the new ri ts-808s and keep it stock.

17. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I hear the opposite with my two Analogman modded pedals. My TS-9 is smoother and my OD-9 with the Silver Mod is a bit rougher sounding. Actually, "rough" is really not the term I would use as both pedals are really smooth IMO. But for clarification sake.....

I attribute the differences and percieved "roughness" to the fact that the Silver Mod makes for a more open and clearer sounding pedal with a bit more highs and lows.... whereas the TS-9 without the Silver Mod has a bit more compression and midrange which in turn makes it sound smoother.

All this is VERY subtle though and the differences between the two is marginal to my ears.