Analogman Sunface club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FuzzFaceJ, May 8, 2013.

1. pedalo

pedalo Member

Every time I play the red dot nkt with my tele with noiseless pick ups I get down on it but when I play my strat with Texas specials I think it’s great again. Staying on the board.

2. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

Keep in mind that the FF circuit integrates with your guitar and pickups. If I recall correctly, some of those of those noiseless systems can interfere with it, but I can't articulate the details. That may be part of the thing here.

Windup 43, analogmike and pedalo like this.
  3. pedalo

pedalo Member

That’s a good point. I have been thinking about replacing them anyway. They are fairly weak and uninteresting, apart from the middle position with the switch engaged. The Strat pick ups are pretty hot and certainly go well with the red dot. One day I will get the most out of it!

4. 56Tweed

I remember when the Texas Specials first hit the market. I ran out and bought a set, looking to get that SRV tone. I still have the strat with them. I found them higher output, but with good clarity than a regular strat pup. Nothing there that won't work with a FF circuit, and in fact it may help them cut better so I can see why would like that pairing. I think Fender has done a few noiseless systems, but I had a pair of their original vintage noiseless pickups and had a like-hate relationship with them. They were in fact quieter, but without some of the character I like.

5. 59 Restorer

59 Restorer Supporting Member

I have Tele Texas Specials in my Telecaster. Best Pickups I’ve tried yet through my CV7005 or other Ge Fuzzfaces.
    Overall lots of bite but not as Tele spanky as some may want. Great pickups for fuzzes and drives though.

6. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

The Red Dot has a touch more of a low-mid focus to my ears. I prefer that one.

It sounds like mine and I could see how it would be in the mid gain ballpark.

DaveLizmi likes this.
  7. pedalo

pedalo Member

I absolutely love them. They make my strat a total beast. I spend most time on the Bridge/Middle in between position and it has a great balance of bite and character. The bridge on its own makes it punch above its weight - it is almost like a humbucker.

8. SonicTonic Seeker

SonicTonic Seeker Supporting Member

I may just have to join the club at some point. My favorite pedal is one made by AnalogMan that I've had for a decade.
    What's so special about the RedDots?
    Which type of SunFace would Jimi pick I wonder.
    The "super smooth" Japanese option and the temperature-stable "super high" gain germanium are the 2 I'm most interested in right this minute.

Are they really twice as good as FuzzFaces? :hide (joke)

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. 56Tweed

I've not had a Ge based Sun Face I didn't like or could use. I have no experience with the Si versions yet. Everyone has their preferences, and a lot has to do with what guitars and amps you play, what kind of clean up you are looking for and how much cut you need. The differences between the transistors can be subtle pedal to pedal, but bigger when pairing the same pedal from one amp to another. The NKT Red Dots are still quite popular, as are the RCA and NKT/RCA hybrid units. The BART is still my personal favorite.

Is it worth 2x the cost of a Fuzz Face? Depends on how picky you are and how lucky you are. The mass produced fuzz faces likely have very little effort put into matching transistors and they are current production transistors. With the Sun Faces you are paying for NOS or harder to find transistors that are individual measured and matched, then tuned. These are built to order. Up to you if that is what you want and are willing to pay for.

10. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

I posted this in the strictly fuzz thread but would love your guidance too:

Could use some advice regarding my next fuzz purchase! I recently purchased a thorpy fallout cloud v2 and have been blown completely away with how great it sounds. It is actually surprisingly versatile for a muff style fuzz meaning it can also be a convincing high gain overdrive/distortion box depending on how you set the dials. I have no intention of removing it from my board. I do, however, want to add another fuzz to my board as I’m having way too much fun!

here’s my board:
    [​IMG]

Chain:

tu-3 -> forest green comp hw-> browne protein -> ryra Klone -> fallout cloud -> ripply fall -> el cap -> mljr -> flint

Amps: Dr. Z Z-Lux 1x12 and a Winfield Cyclone

guitars: Gretsch G6112-tab jr and a K-Line Truxton Special Dual p90

The new fuzz would take the tuners place and the tuner will go to end of chain.

what I have been looking at:

1. Ramble Fx Twin Bender v3

2. Analogman Sunface BC183

3. Analogman Astrotone

4. open to other options. The germanium options for the sunface get extremely pricey quick and I want to keep it around $200 if I can!

I’m not trying to sound like anyone in particular, but would love a fuzz that can cover ground that the fallout cloud won’t.

11. Franklin

Franklin Supporting Member

Please do! The initiation seems harsh, and probably is, but once the 6 months is over you are a permanent member of the club.

I personally don't know what makes them "better".

Jimi chose silicon trannys for more stability, so no red dot for him.
    Santana uses Big Muffs, so more silicon there. Germanium makes his hair frizzy.
    Jeff Beck, Robin Trower and Duane Allman would do NKT275 red dots! IMO of course!

For sure!! It's the special sauce Mike uses, it costs a lot more. I mean his meticulous way of biasing transistors, great customer service and top notch quality control.

If you are a fuzz newbie a couple of important things to note:

One is that your rig may have to be tweaked to make the fuzz sound the best. I struggled with that for a while. You get a good tone at home, at practice and then on the gig it doesn't sound as good. Why? Well I play amp louder at gigs, so adjustments were necessary.

Having the volume and fuzz all the way up on the pedal and using your guitar's volume knob is the way to greatest tones. But again, great in theory (or practice/recording) but when you step on the fuzz live and it's too loud or not loud enough you can't just turn your guitar's volume pot. It will take some time to get used to using the fuzz. You may want to use a boost pedal.

You'll need your amp to be cranked, which these days isn't always possible. What I do it run my Sunlion into an OD with the gain on the OD set on lower side. That way I also have that OD pedal to tweak stage volume if needed.

Most people don't want to have their rig revolve around a fuzz pedal, or take the time to learn how to use them. I admit, it is much easier to get a distortion pedal to play nice with all of your gear!

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Purplexi likes this.
  12. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

Took me long enough, but I now have a BC183 with LED and DC jack incoming.

pete12string and BearBryan like this.
  13. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

For me, buying a Sunface is taking me a way long time. I have “decided” what I wanted to order many, many times. Most recently, it was germanium low gain. I’m completely sure about germanium, but now I’m looking at medium high gain, Standard Germanium 2N USA made, or 2SB175... I’m slowly going insane. As of this moment, the 2N looking good.

analogmike likes this.
  14. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

The simple solution is to buy one of every flavour.

15. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

Is the stock Sunface that expensive comparatively? My 3 have special trannys and the price point seemed reasonable considering the work involved to source, screen, and match NOS parts etc.

Pwurso and David Garner like this.
  16. 56Tweed

I restated the implied question @CorkLicker asked and since edited since he apparently wasn't serious.

Its fine though. The entry level isn't twice a FF, but with my preferred config it is about twice the cost of the FF from a discount store. I agree that it is a very fair price; I currently own seven of them. I don't currently own any of the FFs so I think that is a pretty clear answer.

Shiny_Beast likes this.
  17. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I didn't read your entire post before I replied. Ya you can spend a pretty penny on a Sunface, and then add on shipping to Canada :eek:.

I remember seeing some of the prices I could get for my old Sunfaces, but even at stupid resale value after all is said and done I'm going to net what?

Who cares, that's what I'd net :).

18. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Don't know what it is about the surface. If I could afford it (and justify it to my wife...), I'd probably have one of each transistor option, just for fun. And i'm the furthest from a hoarder you could ever find. Awaiting BART shipping notification. Looking forward to it!

analogmike likes this.
  19. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Question to my fellow Europeans : how much duty did you pay for your pedal? I’m in the UK for what it’s worth...

Only asking because I paid £23 duty for a 20$ attenuator harness from Weber. Hope it don’t get it with £200 duties for the sunface!

20. Franklin

Franklin Supporting Member

How cool would to have a Sunface that had a rotary switch and 3-5 transistor options; like a JHS Muffuletta?