• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Analogman Sunface club

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Just stumbled on this clip on YouTube. Fantastic tone and playing.

Not sure if this guy is a TGPer.

From the video:

"Running the Sunface with volume and fuzz on 3/4 into a Hudson sidecar set for amp on edge of breakup sound. Running into my 65 Bandmaster into noisy hammer 1x12 with a eminence eps-12c."

"It's just called 'low gain'...no idea the transistors. I run it with the clean trim pot set to nearly maximum trim and have it as a near always on germanium boost, with a little extra hair"

diego.fresh

Just stumbled on this clip on YouTube. Fantastic tone and playing.

Not sure if this guy is a TGPer.

From the video:

"Running the Sunface with volume and fuzz on 3/4 into a Hudson sidecar set for amp on edge of breakup sound. Running into my 65 Bandmaster into noisy hammer 1x12 with a eminence eps-12c."

"It's just called 'low gain'...no idea the transistors. I run it with the clean trim pot set to nearly maximum trim and have it as a near always on germanium boost, with a little extra hair"

Wow some luscious HB tones. Def near the top for me on Les Paul>Sunface tones. I guess the low gain is the key there.

No_Stairway

Silver Supporting Member
Just picked up my Sunface RCA/NKT "low gain" hybrid from the PO and spent a 20 min work break noodling with it. Sunface > cleanish Timmy V3 > Black Tiger delay and man from the first note I was like this is what I've been after. Will have to kick the Fulltone 69 off for now.

All things considered I paid ~40 less than new but still almost $300 taxed and shipped so I was totally prepared for remorse. I don't have the 9v but it does have the on/off pot should I remember to use it. I could still upgrade to the 9v is I deem this a long term pedal and I start eating batteries.

I get it, they hype is justified so far. I would say anyone wondering if they should go low or high gain would probably be good with the low gain, there is plenty of gain on tap with just the SF.

jomo

today I try my new BART with p-90' les Paul and for change the spicy monster, Traynor mark 3....fuzz knob's at 12 , sun dial at 2....totally sabbath / cream, territory ..seriously addicted to my fuzz..always on, ..I have some closet space for the bc183 and the dunlop's mini germanium .... , . room has to be nice and warm when you play..does not like my cold feet also :)

RwP42

Platinum Supporting Member
Just posted that I ordered a germanium Sun Face with top jacks, on/off toggle, and Sunface knob -- can't wait to join the club!
Arrived! Holy crap what an amazing tone! Works beautifully with my rig. Here it is in-situ:
View media item 234771FYI: The sound of a Tele bridge pickup through the Sun Face, into the Tonal Recall, and out through my Two-Rock CLRS is quite possibly the finest noise I have ever personally made. :)

whatdisay

I've done quite a bit of reading in this thread and others, but a lot of the inquiries focus on the Sun Face at full guitar volume. I never use a FF with the guitar volume pot on 10. I like the in-between shades.

I'm looking for the tranny that gets the most unpredictable, anti-smooth, sizzling, popping, growling sounds when the volume on the guitar is backed down a bit.

Which one fits that bill?

Grendel2000

Supporting Member
I've done quite a bit of reading in this thread and others, but a lot of the inquiries focus on the Sun Face at full guitar volume. I never use a FF with the guitar volume pot on 10. I like the in-between shades.

I'm looking for the tranny that gets the most unpredictable, anti-smooth, sizzling, popping, growling sounds when the volume on the guitar is backed down a bit.

RCA Higher Gain

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure the SF is what you are looking for. Even at full volume I would not describe any of the variants I have as "unpredictable, anti-smooth, sizzling, popping, growling sounds". They clean up nicely so i typically dial in the SF for lead tones and then back down on the guitar volume a bit, but I'm looking for smoother fuzz tones out of mine. For something more erratic you may consider something like the peppermint fuzz.

whatdisay

I'm not sure the SF is what you are looking for. Even at full volume I would not describe any of the variants I have as "unpredictable, anti-smooth, sizzling, popping, growling sounds". They clean up nicely so i typically dial in the SF for lead tones and then back down on the guitar volume a bit, but I'm looking for smoother fuzz tones out of mine. For something more erratic you may consider something like the peppermint fuzz.
I have a Basic Audio Fuzz Mutant & Spooky Tooth, Prescription Experience, 2 Big Cheese clones (a DIY and the Field Marshall), and have had the AM Sun Bender 1.5 and a few others (Fuzz Factory, a BMF fuzz face). I get what you're saying, and there are definitely some harsher fuzzes out there, but I'm specially looking in the Sun Face/FF realm. There's a spot below 10, before it really cleans up, where I've gotten some great results in a few prior FF variations.

freddy_von

Was going to recommend the Peppermint also.
Sun Face isn’t really going to get what you’re looking for @whatdisay

Snatch28

I’m about to pull the trigger, but I’m so confused about all the transistor choices, it’s my first fuzz face kind of pedal, I know I want to clean up well ( that’s why I want this circuit) , need to be good single coil and humbucker and has to be germanium, what’s the safest bet?

RJS11

I’m about to pull the trigger, but I’m so confused about all the transistor choices, it’s my first fuzz face kind of pedal, I know I want to clean up well ( that’s why I want this circuit) , need to be good single coil and humbucker and has to be germanium, what’s the safest bet?
NKT Red Dot. It sounds great, cleans up well and holds its value should you ever need/want to sell it

No_Stairway

Silver Supporting Member
RCA / NKT hybrid, I have the "low" gain but it's plenty of fuzz

crazymauler

Gold Supporting Member
I've been through several Ge Sun Faces. They're all good, but the LG (Low Gain) ended my search. It's fantastic—killer fuzz tone, amazing cleanup.
A close second was the 2N527 (has a nice bright cutting top end to it, the cleanup tone is pretty bright).
The BART is almost too over the top, monstrous/huge fuzz tone, yet remarkable in how well it cleans up.
The NKT Red Dot is a bit on the dark/woofy side IMHO. Pretty nice with single coils, too dark/smoky/woofy with humbuckers.
That's my experience with them, but I've seen lots of amazing sounding clips that guys are getting with any of those flavors, through a variety of guitars and amps, which maybe just proves how much tone really is in the fingers?
Good luck in the journey!
IMG_3886 LG Sun Face.jpg

Strings234

I recently bought a nkt 275 red dot. Amazingly diverse in tone. I wondered about centre negative polarity, I pulled out the multimetre and found out its negative centre, although I think I'll continue to run it on battery, at the front of the chain.
Best regards.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
For reasons I've never really figured out, I've never really been able to get my Sunface to play nice with my old Princeton Reverb. That's weird because Analogman Mike gets some great tones with a variety of Sunfaces into his old Princeton Reverb.

I had some time to mess around today, and I think I got a tone that I like with that amp. I ran my King of Tone after the Sunface in OD mode and it sounded nice and fat.

On the Sunface, I typically have the volume dimed, or at 3 o'clock as a minimum, but my ears couldn't take it, so I had it back to about 1 o'clock.

Sounded like this from my iPhone. Mainly cr@ppy noodling, but I rip a couple of chords towards the end of the clip.

crazymauler

Gold Supporting Member
For reasons I've never really figured out, I've never really been able to get my Sunface to play nice with my old Princeton Reverb. That's weird because Analogman Mike gets some great tones with a variety of Sunfaces into his old Princeton Reverb.

I had some time to mess around today, and I think I got a tone that I like with that amp. I ran my King of Tone after the Sunface in OD mode and it sounded nice and fat.

On the Sunface, I typically have the volume dimed, or at 3 o'clock as a minimum, but my ears couldn't take it, so I had it back to about 1 o'clock.

Sounded like this from my iPhone. Mainly cr@ppy noodling, but I rip a couple of chords towards the end of the clip.

That clip sounds great!
I love my LG into PRRI, though it’s got a 12” Greenback which probably helps, and I have the Princeton volume ~5 where it’s just starting to break up.
Not a fan of fuzz into super clean/bright amp, that’s definitely where you need a light OD inbetween (KOT is a great choice).

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
That clip sounds great!
Thanks mate.

I love my LG into PRRI
What's a LG?

though it’s got a 12” Greenback which probably helps
Yeah, the 10" in my PR perhaps isn't a fan of all those frequencies the Sunface is sending it.

and I have the Princeton volume ~5 where it’s just starting to break up.
Yeah in my clip the volume was at about 4.5.

It was loud in the room.

Trending Topics