• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Analogman Sunface club

No_Stairway

Silver Supporting Member
For reasons I've never really figured out, I've never really been able to get my Sunface to play nice with my old Princeton Reverb. That's weird because Analogman Mike gets some great tones with a variety of Sunfaces into his old Princeton Reverb.

I had some time to mess around today, and I think I got a tone that I like with that amp. I ran my King of Tone after the Sunface in OD mode and it sounded nice and fat.

On the Sunface, I typically have the volume dimed, or at 3 o'clock as a minimum, but my ears couldn't take it, so I had it back to about 1 o'clock.

Sounded like this from my iPhone. Mainly cr@ppy noodling, but I rip a couple of chords towards the end of the clip.

Sounds rad! At first I was like whaaaat? I've only had 1x12 PRRI for a week but running a SF into a Timmy followed by a delay sounds amazing on my PRRI, glad you got it dialed in!

diego.fresh

For reasons I've never really figured out, I've never really been able to get my Sunface to play nice with my old Princeton Reverb. That's weird because Analogman Mike gets some great tones with a variety of Sunfaces into his old Princeton Reverb.

I had some time to mess around today, and I think I got a tone that I like with that amp. I ran my King of Tone after the Sunface in OD mode and it sounded nice and fat.

On the Sunface, I typically have the volume dimed, or at 3 o'clock as a minimum, but my ears couldn't take it, so I had it back to about 1 o'clock.

Sounded like this from my iPhone. Mainly cr@ppy noodling, but I rip a couple of chords towards the end of the clip.

dude - I love those Mistreated tones you got there!

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
I think the 12" is the key.

I struggle with a single 10" sometimes.
I like two 10” speakers. So many great combos with that. One 10” can be nasty.

It’s nice to have two 10” speakers with different magnets ~ one ceramic, one alnico ~ all kinds of cool stuff swirls around, it’s beautiful.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I like two 10” speakers. So many great combos with that. One 10” can be nasty.

It’s nice to have two 10” speakers with different magnets ~ one ceramic, one alnico ~ all kinds of cool stuff swirls around, it’s beautiful.
Agreed.

Love my Vibrolux Reverb.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
@analogmike, I've thought of getting a Sunlion because I want a Beano Boost and I love my Sunfaces. But the thing is, I REALLY love my BC183 Sunface and vastly prefer it to the germanium (CV7005). As I understand it, the CV7005 is a lot like the white dot NKT which a lot of folks think is the Holy Grail of fuzz faces. But the BC183 is way better for my use. My preference for it is such I hardly use the CV7005 anymore. I can get them to sound similar, but the CV never cleans up as well and I have to crank the volume which makes it a lot noisier than the BC183, where I can get it in its sweet spot with the volume on 2-3 o'clock.

Problem is, the BC183 is not an option on the Sunlion. I know you've said the reason is you don't like silicon fuzz faces stacked with the Beano Boost. First question, would you build me a BC183 Sunlion anyway? Second question, if not (or even if so), would you recommend a germanium transistor that is going to approach the BC183 in its ability to stun me every time I plug it in?

My particular BC183 just cuts like a knife, cleans up way better than the CV7005 does -- it cleans up quicker, and that means my clean tones have more chirp and body whereas the CV7005 will get all the way clean, but by the time it does I'm at 2-3 and it's dull. It's just an outstanding fuzz. I know the obvious answer is "get another BC183 and a Beano Boost," but I like the idea of having them both in the same housing. I use a small board with no external power and it's easier to deal with one pedal instead of two.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I recently bought a nkt 275 red dot. Amazingly diverse in tone. I wondered about centre negative polarity, I pulled out the multimetre and found out its negative centre, although I think I'll continue to run it on battery, at the front of the chain.
Best regards.
That’s just the way the jack is wired. It’s still positive ground, so don’t daisy-chain it.

David Garner

We got some interesting Germanium NPN transistors, might work for a negative ground Sun Lion, then we could do the BC183. Email in a week or so for more info, thanks!
I got to thinking about it and decided to go the safe and sure route. I played a bit with the CV7005 this week and found that I could tweak the volume knob to get things close in terms of overall brightness and cleanup with the volume knob on the pedal, so I ended up just ordering a Sunlion with the NKT Red Dots and the Mullards. Looking forward to receiving it.

If I like it enough, I may have to sell some blood or something to fund one of those NPN/BC183 Sunlions as well.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Ah, OK. I don't daisy chain anyway, but I assume it will run OK on an isolated power line, no trouble to the power supply? Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Best regards.
Isolated is fine, with no polarity adapter. Just plug it in like you would a normal negative ground pedal.

whatdisay

My RCA high gain arrived. What an incredibly versatile pedal. So many shades. Even sounded great with the neck pickup of my Tweedy SG.

it may be a TAD too bright for me with some of my amps. Was curious what the next notch down in terms of brightness is, transistor-wise.

Butch1970

My RCA high gain arrived. What an incredibly versatile pedal. So many shades. Even sounded great with the neck pickup of my Tweedy SG.

it may be a TAD too bright for me with some of my amps. Was curious what the next notch down in terms of brightness is, transistor-wise.
I think my 2N527 gold leg is a bit less bright than my RCA medium gain, so I'd guess that the standard 2N527 would probably also fit the bill.

Trending Topics