Analogman Sunface club

kidmandude

Platinum Supporting Member
FWIW - my Sunface isn't a white dot.

It's a red dot.
Would you believe I do have both or really all 3, LG, HG, and Nktred

The LG is a phenomenal sunface. It's well behaved for being a Germ! The way you recorded your SF was your fuzz cranked or where you at 3 o'clock or less?

Les Pauls and Fuzz can get maxed out sooner. I was assuming you backed off your fuzz knob some?

Gibsonchild

Gumpy Old Man
Silver Supporting Member
I’m on a fuzz kick right now and am considering getting a Sunface. On the website, it says that the lead time is roughly 4 weeks for a Sunface. Is that still the case?

I’m only asking because I see them going for insane prices on Reverb, and am reading of multiple-year waits for some of his pedals.

Gibsonchild

Gumpy Old Man
Silver Supporting Member
That's the KoT.

Some of the Sunfaces on Reverb will have transistors in them that aren't around anymore.

Some of the Sunfaces on Reverb have available transistors in them, and the sellers are just muppets.
Thanks!

I figured that was the case, I just wanted to be sure before I got my hopes up.

jagROAR_63

Hey Sunface-Club-Members,

anybody of you experienced different results with different pickups-transistor-combinations ?

Had my partscaster with CS69s equipped and it was THE best clean up and in between sounds ever with both my white dot and my BC183L Ivor. Whhoooo

Now I have PV65 installed. Clean up with these Fuzzes is now good, but not as wonderful as before. But with a JDM Fuzz I also have on my board, the PV65 now sound so much better compared to the CS69... Great clean up too and great rippin lead sound with volume pot more up...

So it seems, there's also big part of the equation in the combination of guitar - pickup - Fuzz.

Don't know what to do now :D - I miss the sounds of the CS69 with my white dot & Ivor, but also LOVE the PV65 with this JDM Fuzz + Octave (with the CS69 it was a little anemic combination)....

The low output pickups of my LSL T-Bone with the BART by the way also seems to be a magic combination....

OMG - I guess I'm a little obsessed aahahah with Fuzz !
Matt

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey Sunface-Club-Members,

anybody of you experienced different results with different pickups-transistor-combinations ?

Had my partscaster with CS69s equipped and it was THE best clean up and in between sounds ever with both my white dot and my BC183L Ivor. Whhoooo

Now I have PV65 installed. Clean up with these Fuzzes is now good, but not as wonderful as before. But with a JDM Fuzz I also have on my board, the PV65 now sound so much better compared to the CS69... Great clean up too and great rippin lead sound with volume pot more up...

So it seems, there's also big part of the equation in the combination of guitar - pickup - Fuzz.

Don't know what to do now :D - I miss the sounds of the CS69 with my white dot & Ivor, but also LOVE the PV65 with this JDM Fuzz + Octave (with the CS69 it was a little anemic combination)....

The low output pickups of my LSL T-Bone with the BART by the way also seems to be a magic combination....

OMG - I guess I'm a little obsessed aahahah with Fuzz !
Matt
Mostly just in the sense that you're discussing -- my fuzzes tend to prefer lower output pickups. Even with humbuckers, the lower winds work better.

jagROAR_63

nybody of you experienced different results with different pickups-transistor-combinations ?

Haha quoting myself with an update...

I forgot to count the amp in the equation. My previous observations was all based on playng at home with my VHT special 6 (6 Watt) amp, which is really nice.

I just did some Fuzzcinations with my JTM45/100 clone (still the PV65 pickups in my Parts-Strat). Here the white dot, Ivor and a TI/UK sunface were back again with all wonderful shades of clean-to-FUZZ !!! Well - it's always a combination of guitar / pickups, the Fuzz with all its speacial properties (transistors, how it is tuned + circuit), the amp, and how the amp is setup (clean or sweet spot). Everything counts and thus you achieve different results on different days. For me this is also part of the magic and Fuzzination - not everything is predictable... sometimes you need to tweak a little and there's various sweet spots availabe dependent on all that mentioned above...

Thats also a reason I do very hard selling a fuzz (have only sold / traded 2 sunfaces ever, but bought a lot :D)

Last edited:

turtleboy3

My recommendation would be to get the 2N. I’ve owned several red and white dot NKT275, Red Dot NKT, LG, RCA, Red Dot NKT / RCA hybrid, BART, Gold leg 2N, BC183 and the unmarked 2N. They are all great but the 2N varieties are my favourite. My one regret is selling a gold leg 2N in a Sunlion.
Im really curious about that gold leg 2N sound as compared to others. I have been waiting for someone to uplaod a sound sample on youtube.

How do you compare it so others?

My Sunface high gain red dot NKT is really amazing! Perfect for me, its got the right amount of wooliness that I want from a fuzzface. And I had Mike changed it to high gain because I want lto get more sustain when the volume knob is maxed as compared to medium gain.

Last edited:
Im really curious about that gold leg 2N sound as compared to others. I have been waiting for someone to uplaod a sound sample on youtube.

How do you compare it so others?

My Sunface high gain red dot NKT is really amazing! Perfect for me, its got the right amount of wooliness that I want from a fuzzface. And I had Mike changed it to high gain because I want lto get more sustain when the volume knob is maxed as compared to medium gain.
The 2N’s are a little brighter than the NKT red dot. I have a gold leg in a London Fuzz which is in the same ballpark as the NKTs IMO

jagROAR_63

Ive got a BART on its way. Never used a fuzz before. I bought it with hopes i can get some good low-gain slightly fuzzy overdrive sounds. Not a fan of the full on saturated fuzz with the neck pickup sound but more the barely-on low gain stuff with lots of delay and reverb.
It depends on personel preferences and your guitar. For me the BART totally shines with my (low output) Tele. Great thick full on fuzz sounds (same with me here - I usually run my volume pot on the guitar for these 1. not completely dimed and 2 usually on the bridge pickup), wonderful shades in the "in between" territory and also good clean up (in between and clean up is where I use neck PUP and other combinations and love it!!). I can also recommand to adjust the internal "pre gain" trim Pot.

Stephen J

Interested in knowing where the 2N falls between the BC183 and the BART - both of which I own. I love everything about the 183 including its clean up but when I want just a bit more warmth I go to the BART (which I've dialed back the internal clean on and generally run fuzz around 2:00).
Is the 2N redundant to one or the other or does it maybe compliment the 183 better for the fuzz lane I've got the BART set for?

twisty571

Silver Supporting Member
Why are these pedals going for 500+ on Reverb when they are still in production and there is not really a waitlist?
Some of them aren't being made anymore? Certain transistors aren't coming back unless they fall on a big hidden stash somewhere. Others are price jacking sort of like the KOT. Some people will pay not to wait but in the Sun Face case it's only 3-4 weeks.