Analogman Sunface club

valis_va

Gold Supporting Member
Has anyone compared the BART and the RCA/BART hybrid? Trying to decide between these 2 and it’s a hard choice.
Like NewOldSocks said, the temperature stability of the RCA hybrids is the real deal. Full stop.

On to sound.

I have both a BART and a BART/RCA. I also have Red Dots and a Red Dot/RCA. In both cases, the hybrids retain the general character of their non-hybrid counterparts. If I compare them closely, it strikes me that the hybrids are a little brighter and I have to turn the guitar volume down just a bit more for the same amount of cleanup. Again, however, the BART/RCA sounds a lot like the BART and the Red Dot/RCA sounds a lot like my Red Dots.

In my surf band, I have some flavor or another of an Analogman fuzz on 100 percent of the time, and I get the clean tone on my Jag and Jazzmaster by rolling back the guitar volume. For the outdoor gigs in hot weather or in the full sun, I flip out a Sunface on the board for one of the hybrids. The sound--from surf-worthy clean to mean--is fantastic, and I don't worry one bit about the GE fuzz crapping out in the DC summer sun. (I could easily leave one of the hybrids on the board all the time without missing anything essential in my tone. I only don't because I have other Sunfaces to play with, too.)

NewOldSocks

Like NewOldSocks said, the temperature stability of the RCA hybrids is the real deal. Full stop.

On to sound.

I have both a BART and a BART/RCA. I also have Red Dots and a Red Dot/RCA. In both cases, the hybrids retain the general character of their non-hybrid counterparts. If I compare them closely, it strikes me that the hybrids are a little brighter and I have to turn the guitar volume down just a bit more for the same amount of cleanup. Again, however, the BART/RCA sounds a lot like the BART and the Red Dot/RCA sounds a lot like my Red Dots.

In my surf band, I have some flavor or another of an Analogman fuzz on 100 percent of the time, and I get the clean tone on my Jag and Jazzmaster by rolling back the guitar volume. For the outdoor gigs in hot weather or in the full sun, I flip out a Sunface on the board for one of the hybrids. The sound--from surf-worthy clean to mean--is fantastic, and I don't worry one bit about the GE fuzz crapping out in the DC summer sun. (I could easily leave one of the hybrids on the board all the time without missing anything essential in my tone. I only don't because I have other Sunfaces to play with, too.)
I have a NKT hyrbid also.
Having both covers anything FF I will EVER need to do.

It is awesome that you use a SF in a surf band and I totally agree about the sparkly cleans.
I use my NKT hybrid for chicken pickin' at times with a comprossor (set to EVEN out, not to SQUASH it) after it.

Pretty amazing clean tones to be able to go to full on raging-phat fuzz.

I will NEVER sell either.

-Hawk-

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all. Can anybody ease my mind?

Playing outdoors later today and it’s 95+ degrees. I have a red dot with a sun dial that’s my #1 pedal but haven’t played it in these conditions.

Will the sun dial be enough to deal with any temperature issues? Which direction do I turn it? Just wondering in case I have to make an adjustment without having time to test it out. Suppose I’ll bring an Si just in case, but hoping this will still work.

NewOldSocks

Thanks Mike! I did bring the BC183. The Red Dot was fine during sound check, but the sun shifted right on to it shortly after that. I ended up switching the 183 in and all was good.
The fix for my Ge FF tones in the heat, without going Si, ended with the BART and NKT Hybrid Sunfaces.

Grab a lower gain BART Hybrid if you want better clean up and all the GE tonal goodness at any temp without any worries... if cleanup is not an issue i'd grab a medium gain BART Hybrid.

I played a outdoor gig last week and it was 90 degrees out and HUMID as can be....
I threw a towel over my PB and just left my NKT Hybrid on and used my v.knob.

Was absolutely fantastic!!!!
Sounded like it does at home in my studio.

Getting one each of the Hybrid-AM-Ge-SF was the PB best purchase I have ever made!

That is all!

Regan

I'm thinking about buying another SF. This would be my fourth one but currently I only own a bc109b, which delivers all the gnarly fuzz but I'm leaning toward a germanium this go around.

Anyway, my question to the group is...of the options currently available which do you believe clean up the best?

I've owned a TI/UK and an RCA so I know you can't really go wrong with any of Mike's fuzzes but I was just hoping for some insight. Thanks!

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
I'm thinking about buying another SF. This would be my fourth one but currently I only own a bc109b, which delivers all the gnarly fuzz but I'm leaning toward a germanium this go around.

Anyway, my question to the group is...of the options currently available which do you believe clean up the best?

I've owned a TI/UK and an RCA so I know you can't really go wrong with any of Mike's fuzzes but I was just hoping for some insight. Thanks!
For me the BART cleans up really well and is one of my real favorites.

I found the TI/UK (at least mine) a bit brighter with really good cut so it works well with an amp on the darker side. It works great in the normal channel of a plexi for example.

My RCA sounded good, but was a bit noisy and I preferred others so they tend to get used more.

My two all time favorite are the White Dot NKT275 and the BART and even between those two I will often put the BART on the board.

UncleBucket

Received my low gain Sunface today (took about 7 weeks if anyone is curious). Seems like the gold finish has changed slightly, it’s matt gloss and not quite as metallic, and the sun logo and text seem a little more red.

This LG has what appears to be Raytheon Y363 transistors (?), I’m not at all familiar with those. Has great cleanup and tone, compares favorably to a white dot actually.

Regan

For me the BART cleans up really well and is one of my real favorites.

I found the TI/UK (at least mine) a bit brighter with really good cut so it works well with an amp on the darker side. It works great in the normal channel of a plexi for example.

My RCA sounded good, but was a bit noisy and I preferred others so they tend to get used more.

My two all time favorite are the White Dot NKT275 and the BART and even between those two I will often put the BART on the board.
I was already leaning toward the BART or hybrid. It sounds like the non hybrid version cleans up better so that may be the one. Thanks!

sidea

RCA and Unmarked 2N have great sparkly clean up
Low gain SF also cleans up nicely but they are too wooly sounding/bassy with fuzz maxed out to my taste/rig. I much prefer the fuzz of the RCA and Unmarked 2N, punchier/tighter and brighter.