Analogman Sunface club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FuzzFaceJ, May 8, 2013.

1. jjcolas

jjcolas Supporting Member

So I’ve played this thing at jams three times now and haven’t gotten a second on video. I had literally 2 minutes to do a very quick video this afternoon hence the rushed sloppy iPhone clip. Either way it’s all about the sound. The beano side is in midrange boost.

I’ll try to post some better later this week.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Nice!

Sounds great.

jjcolas likes this.
  3. SlaminSam

SlaminSam Supporting Member

Just picked up a Sunface with CV7005. Have not got the chance to plug it in yet, but I am definitely looking forward to it! This is my first Sunface.

Madrone, jjcolas and Bluesful like this.
  4. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Sounds great man!

jjcolas likes this.
  5. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

So I'm a bit late to the party, just got an RCA sunface and it doesn't really work on either side of my wah, is that normal?

6. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

@Jim Marciano
    how is the internal input trim set? If you can back up this one a bit, that might help.
    I have mine all the way down on my TI/UK and it works beautifully before my Wah.

tubekingsley and timibucktwo like this.
  7. Jim Marciano

I'll have to give that a shot

zwiefldraader likes this.
  8. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Turning the internal trimmer clockwise, should help whether you run it before, or after wah. BTW, what wah do you use ?

9. Jim Marciano

Joe gagan hot rod cylde, I haven't had any problems with it and fuzz, 90s dunlop germanium and chase tone red velvet work good with it, I will check that knob out tommorow, thanks

10. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

11. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

I just picked up an Nkt red dot on reverb for 400 shipped it has top jacks yellow led and battery off pot.

I also have a Bc108 im just now starting to use, i have a kot i love and an AM chorus.

analogmike, jjcolas and Echoplexi like this.
  12. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

It is normal. You can either install a “fuzz friendly” buffer (as BootRoots linked) in your wah (not a bypass buffer) to correct the impedance mismatch that creates the wah>Fuzz Face issue, or get a wah with the buffer already in it (RMC, Fulltone, Wilson, etc.).

I use an RMC10 before mine, and it works beautifully.

BearBryan likes this.
  13. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Fuzz buffer is a necessity in my wahs. I’ve got a crybaby 535Q and a Wilson Vintage spec now. No problems.

Tiny Montgomery likes this.
  14. sputnik

sputnik Supporting Member

About to order a Sunface and was wondering if the Sundial would be necessary on the RCAs? Analogmans site says stable at various temps so I’m thinking about passing on the Sundial.

15. Echoplexi

I would (and have) go for it.

analogmike likes this.
  16. sputnik

sputnik Supporting Member

Thanks!

I know you’ve had quite a few Sunfaces...Analogman has a medium gain and higher gain RCA. Have you compared the two? Just worried the higher gain would be too bright but the medium won’t have enough gain.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  17. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

What is the closest thing you can order new that is like the White Dot NKT 275's?

18. Echoplexi

I’ve had a low gain, medium gain, and super high gain RCA. There’s not a crazy amount of difference. Lower gain will have a bit faster cleanup, higher gain will have a bit more girth to individual notes. Medium gain is always a safe bet.

Here’s a simple comparison I did between the different gain levels:

19. triviani

triviani Silver Supporting Member

From Analogman site:
    The 2SB is a little darker and woolier than the TI/UK. Some of these that measure at low gain are great in our low gain germanium option, to duplicate the sound and great cleanup of the white dot NKT275. We have two models of the 2SB, the 2SB171 which is lower gain and the 2SB175 which is higher gain. Both sound great, smoother than the other germaniums, not as much edge.”

20. GilmourD

GilmourD Member

So, I'm GASing really hard for a germanium Sunface (obviously for the prestige of joining The Analogman Sunface Club) but I'm still not clear on which one I want to get.

What I'm thinking.
    • NKT - duh... LOL
    • 2N527 - All the demos I've heard, particularly the TPS demo with Dan's red Tele, make it sound just as glorious as the NKTs
    • 2SB171 - It's lower gain, which probably won't cave in nearly as much for me considering a bunch of my guitars have higher-output humbuckers (I do play with vintage-spec Teles and Strats, too)
    • 2SB175 - I've seen a bunch of comparisons to the 2N527 but haven't really heard anything that's recorded super well, so I don't know what the tonal differences are
    I imagine I'd be happy with any of them, especially compared to the Dunlop JDF2 guts I bought off eBay (which I'm also looking to modify and rehouse) but if I'm going to stretch my funds to get one I want to make sure I get the right one for me.

So, what do you guys think?