Analogman Sunface - differences in tone between different transistors?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spookyelectric, May 8, 2020.

1. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

The 2SB sounds perfect for your needs.

2N USA could be various 2NXXX types, the unmarked 2N is a specific one, and "2N low gain" is any of those types that measured low gain.

pete12string likes this.
  2. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Listening to tons of videos... I really like the 2N527 that I heard compared to a 2SB

Is this 2N527 one of the varieties available today? I like its brightness and clarity. The 2SB in the video sounded too dark. What exactly would I order for one of these or as close to this as possible?

3. pete12string

Started looking at a Sun Lion as an option. A little confused on the Beano side. If I choose the Standard Ge Beano transistor, can I specify which one I want, for instance if I want the 2N USA? If I can, is this something you just add as a note when purchasing?

Beano side options:
    Standard germanium Beano transistor $0- This can be a small Russian spaceship, BART (Big Ass Russian Transistor), 2SB Japanese, or 2N USA vintage germanium transistor. All are low noise and sound great, nice and clear.
    OC44 type black bullet $25 [Add $25.00]- These are black skinny European transistors. They have a little more snarl and honk than the standard germanium transistors, but very hard to hear a difference. They tend to have a little more white noise hiss.

4. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

We don't always have many types but you can add a note if you prefer one or email to check and we can hold something for you.

pete12string likes this.
  5. pete12string

Thanks for answering the million questions I had Mike. I finally ordered a Sunface - Standard Germanium 2N USA made... Looking forward to it!

analogmike likes this.