Analogman Sunlion question...

theanalogdream

Silver Supporting Member
Hey,
stumbled across an old Sunlion video recently and forgot how killer they sound.

Is it possible to get it with a switch that toggles the order of the pedals? For example, have the ability to run the Beano before or after the fuzz?

Let me know!
Also, if you have any pics of custom colours, graphics, etc, I'd love to see them!

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think he does a switch, but you can get the 4 jack option, and then set it up in either order.

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
I miss my old sun lion more than anything. I wish I never sold it. The beano really works great after the fuzz.

Timmay!

Thanks guys, you gave me gas!!!

Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations regarding the current transistor options for the Sun Face side?

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
I have the high gain White Dot, which I see, has gone up in price since I bought mine. He gives some very good descriptions of each of the transistor options on the site, don't remember if that is on the sunlion page or the sunface page, but you should be able to figure out which one would be best for your particular rig.

Timmay!

Thanks for the input, I found the info on the sunface page.

Based on demos, I think the high gain NKTs and TI/UKs have more fuzz than I would need. Im also a little worried about instability with the red dot NKTs.

I'm mainly interested in the in-between/cleanup sounds from the sunface side. Do you feel that cleanup is compromised at all with the high gain NKTs? That's the impression I got from the AM site.

I'm currently leaning towards the low gain NKTs, which may offer more scope for in-between/cleanup rhythm tones. Especially as I'm using an LP with burstbucker 3. Does anyone have experience with low gain NKTs? I couldn't find any youtube demos.

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the input, I found the info on the sunface page.

Based on demos, I think the high gain NKTs and TI/UKs have more fuzz than I would need. Im also a little worried about instability with the red dot NKTs.

I'm mainly interested in the in-between/cleanup sounds from the sunface side. Do you feel that cleanup is compromised at all with the high gain NKTs? That's the impression I got from the AM site.

I'm currently leaning towards the low gain NKTs, which may offer more scope for in-between/cleanup rhythm tones. Especially as I'm using an LP with burstbucker 3. Does anyone have experience with low gain NKTs? I couldn't find any youtube demos.
Don't forget, even though they say high gain, they are high gain germanium. We are not talking Muff-like gain. My high gain white dot, cleans up to Duane Allman-like clarity (mostly clean), especially with my R0, which has burstbuckers, and the really sensitive volume pots (audio taper, is that the right term?), and this is with the fuzz knob full CW, when you roll the volume knob back on the guitar. I recall the last time I looked he had some regular gain white dots back in stock, are they still there, maybe this is the way to go if you're really worried about too much fuzz? As for the red dot, I always had the impression there just wouldn't be enough fuzz there if I wanted it. I have not tried the TI's but always had them down as the next one I would try if I got another Sunlion, or just plain Sunface, and understood these to be somewhere in the middle of regular and high.

Maybe my only "problem" with mine is the fuzz side doesn't get loud enough, even with the high gain. After you have it cranked with the Beano side, and then you take the Beano side off, you can't get back to that volume level - obviously. Like I said though keep in mind this is not a Muff, and it doesn't sound like it's an issue for you. I suggest the higher gain transistors, I don't think clean up will be an issue for you.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
I run a low gain white dot NKT Sunface into a Beano I just acquired and boy that is a beautiful noise. Cleans up well too.

RE: switching pedal order, I don't think that would be easily implemented in the Sunface, but if you get the 4 jack option you can use a separate switchbox that allows you to invert the pedal order on demand. A couple companies make them.

Timmay!

Don't forget, even though they say high gain, they are high gain germanium. We are not talking Muff-like gain. My high gain white dot, cleans up to Duane Allman-like clarity (mostly clean), especially with my R0, which has burstbuckers, and the really sensitive volume pots (audio taper, is that the right term?), and this is with the fuzz knob full CW, when you roll the volume knob back on the guitar. I recall the last time I looked he had some regular gain white dots back in stock, are they still there, maybe this is the way to go if you're really worried about too much fuzz? As for the red dot, I always had the impression there just wouldn't be enough fuzz there if I wanted it. I have not tried the TI's but always had them down as the next one I would try if I got another Sunlion, or just plain Sunface, and understood these to be somewhere in the middle of regular and high.

Maybe my only "problem" with mine is the fuzz side doesn't get loud enough, even with the high gain. After you have it cranked with the Beano side, and then you take the Beano side off, you can't get back to that volume level - obviously. Like I said though keep in mind this is not a Muff, and it doesn't sound like it's an issue for you. I suggest the higher gain transistors, I don't think clean up will be an issue for you.
Thanks for the great info. You have me leaning back towards the high gain NKTs again. If it's too much, I can adjust the internal input trimmer or even swap the Burstbucker3 for something with less output. I'll do a big more research on those before pulling the trigger though.

Do you know how the cleanup on the high gain NKTs compares with say a Fuzz Factory? That's a reference point I'm very familiar with.

In case anyone else was looking, I did some more digging on the "very low gain" NKT sunface and came across this youtube video:

From reading the comments, it appears he's using an LP through the sunface with the "very low gain" white dot NKTs into an old Super Lead. He comments that the internal input trimmer is all the way down to minimise fuzz, so I guess it's working more like a boost/OD in this example. I love this sound, but would also like more fuzz when I need it.

To the OP, I'm also looking at the 4-way I/O option.

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the great info. You have me leaning back towards the high gain NKTs again. If it's too much, I can adjust the internal input trimmer or even swap the Burstbucker3 for something with less output. I'll do a big more research on those before pulling the trigger though.

Do you know how the cleanup on the high gain NKTs compares with say a Fuzz Factory? That's a reference point I'm very familiar with.

In case anyone else was looking, I did some more digging on the "very low gain" NKT sunface and came across this youtube video:

From reading the comments, it appears he's using an LP through the sunface with the "very low gain" white dot NKTs into an old Super Lead. He comments that the internal input trimmer is all the way down to minimise fuzz, so I guess it's working more like a boost/OD in this example. I love this sound, but would also like more fuzz when I need it.

To the OP, I'm also looking at the 4-way I/O option.
Never played a Fuzz Factory, can't help on that.

I don't think you want to mess with the internal trimmer on this pedal. It's not like the KOT/POT, where I think you have to adjust the internal trimmer if you play HB's, at least in my experience. The Sunface/Lion trimmer is a bias thing, and that's set where it's supposed to be from the factory, I believe. You can use the external bias knob (make sure you get one), to do what you are talking about though, and that will effect the amount of fuzz you get, depending on weather and temperature, etc.

Trending Topics