1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Analogman Sunlion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TaronKeim, Feb 2, 2005.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

New pedal for 2005, has the Beano Boost and the Sunface put in one pedal, looks great... I'll have to have one. They also have the Mini-chrorus and the Bi-Clone as standard production models as well:D

www.analogman.com First line of news for the year;)

-TJK

2. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

The Sunface NTK 275 is my favorite fuzzface, incredibly smooth. Funny, I was just about to order a Beanoboost when I saw AM's post on his site. Very curuious.

3. Sebastian

Sebastian Supporting Member

I am very much all over this pedal, but does anyone have a price quote? (I love my Sun Face. Beautiful.)

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

I told him he should have called it the 'Queen of Tone' with those Brit circuits in t here ;)

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

HAHA... that would have been great, cept all the male chauvinist axe slingers would have had a hay-day:p

-TJK

6. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I have no idea whether or not the Sun Face in the Sun Lion is NTK-275 loaded or not though... I sure hope it is.

-TJK

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

Having owned both pedals, and still own the Sunface, I can say that the sunlion would be a really cool pedal to have. At this point, I suppose I'd just buy another Beano Boost though.

8. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

I think this one is going on my 'must have' list.

9. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I emailed Mike yesterday, and his price quote on the SunLion was $335. The Beano goes for $165, and the SunFace NKT 275 is normally a $225 pedal, so a bit of savings actually in going with the SunLion over those pedals individually. I was going to get a moded Maxon SD9, but seeing the SunLion ended that for me! I'm placing a link below to the manual for the SunLion.

Analogman Sun Lion

As for the transistors that are used, the manual says, "NOS Germanium", but I don't think it mentions the NKT 275. Although the photo of the Sun Face does show the Sun Face NKT 275.

Joe:)

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

I wonder if he will make a version or this pedal in the KOT / Mini bicomp size?

11. clapointe

clapointe Member

Cool I think Analogman is coming up big with these new pedals. Nice going Mike:dude

12. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I'm bumping this old thread.

Does anyone have the Sunlion? How do you like it?

It looks to me to be just what I'm looking for as I run my amp a touch dirty and like using boosts and fuzzface clones to get more dirt going.

:)

13. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Still loving mine. I think I posted elsewhere in here about it. The mode with boost on is just awesome; cathedrals of fuzz. And the Sundial is a cool and useful feature.

/rick

14. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I know this is an old thread and all... but here are the specs from the website, which may not have been up at the time (I know there wasn't a link on the main AM website for a long time)

True Bypass on both sides
    Two 3PDT stomp switches, one for each side. Either or both can be used.
    Status LED on each side.
    NOS NKT-275 Germanium transistors, selected for best tone and low noise on both effects.
    High quality RE’AN British input and output jacks
    Battery disconnected when INPUT cord removed (input is on the right).
    ON/OFF battery switch integrated into FUZZ knob, so you don't have to unplug pedal if it’s in a pedalboard.
    No Power jack as these are detrimental to the ultimate tones, and dangerous due to positive ground.
    Battery should be a cheap non-alkaline general purpose battery, as found in the dollar stores. These will sound better than an alkaline.
    Size is 4.75" wide, 3.75" long, and 1.5" tall not including switch etc (about 2 1/8" tall to the switch)
    This effect should not have any non-true bypass effects in front of it. Otherwise, the fuzz’s cleanup function will not work well.

15. Franklin

Franklin Member

16. dougeds

dougeds Member

i'm considering a sun face, but i also saw this pedal with the boost in it. i already have a fat boost by fulltone and a way to boost with my bi-comp. does the beano boost offer anything different from these or would it be redundant for me? thanks.

17. Sebastian

Sebastian Supporting Member

The Fat-Boost and Beano are totally different. The Fat follows its name, in other words, it thickens and can get a little hair with the drive control. The Beano is a treble booster and gets a lot raunchier. It can be more piercing. I don't mean piercing in a bad way--into the right amp it rawks. But it's less polite than the Fat-Boost. (I like and have both.)

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The Fat boost is like a Jack Orman booster circuit with a drive control.

The Beano Boost side of the SunLion is a circuit styled after the original Rangemaster Treble Boosters, which is a pretty different sound. This one has a three way switch to adjust the voicing, of which the full range sound would be closer to the range on the fat boost, but it will still be different as the circuitry is more like a germanium fuzz pedal with a different sound than a class A boost design...

If you don't have a Rangemaster style boost (which you don't), I would not think it would be redundant at all.... I'm quite sure it will be a different flavor of boost from the ones you already have (and at the very least can be set for a different boost sound than the other two you are using)...

19. Franklin

Franklin Member

I also have a ZVex SHO as a clean boost, I think of the "Beano" side of my Sunlion as a dirty boost. It really makes my Fender sound, non-Fenderish!!

20. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Hmmm... I would really like one of these someday... but for now, I think I might just get a ToneFactor Huckleberry and set it to a Fuzz Face setting and use my Hellbilly in more of a Rangemaster setting... I'll have a nice little ToneFactor collection going... Would really love a SunLion, though... just can't swing the $335. Love my CompROSSor, though!