1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Analogman sunlion...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by radiohead625, May 19, 2011.

1. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Is there a good DIY kit for one of these out there somewhere? I really want one, but i dont have $400+

2. tamtam10

tamtam10 Active Member

I'd also be interested.

3. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Why not buy a Beano boost and a Sunface? That's what a Sunlion IS, after all.

...besides, 400$ isn't NEAR the price the Sunlions have been selling for on eBay fairly recently.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

6. aflynt

aflynt Member

You may be able to buy a Beano Boost and a Sunface and rehouse them in a single Hammond 1590BB size enclosure. Alternatively, you could get pre-etched Rangemaster and Fuzz Face PCBs from GGG or Tonepad and build something similar from scratch. You could add an SPDT switch to select between 3 values for the input capacitor of the Rangemaster and a 10-25k pot to replace the bias resistor on the second Transistor of the Fuzz Face. Of course the devil is in the details on those simple circuits and it may be a bit of a challenge to find and bias the Ge transistors to get the sound you want.

-Aaron

7. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

one just sold in the emporium for 7 balloons! Beano and sunface will let you decide which comes first too...

8. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

lol i thought you meant that was too high.. People are ridiculous with paying sooo much for pedals

9. small axe

small axe Member

the sunlion is highly coveted right now.....if the beano was before the fuzz it would be killer. i agree just buy a beano and a sunface

10. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Another alternative is to have Monsterpiece build you a 2 headed monster with his classic Ge fuzz and his Rangemaster style boost. You can put them in either order and easily switch, and have it in one enclosure. Richard builds great fuzzes for not too much $$

11. Gorgar

Gorgar Member

The good thing about having the beano second is that whenever the rest of the band threatens to bury my fuzzed-out lead, I can flip on the beano for a louder more aggressive tone.

Interesting to find out these are so desirable. As far as I can tell, the one big difference with an actual Sunlion is that they used NKT-275s on both sides. I don't see that option for a straight beano on the site now.

12. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

It's an extremely easy build if you can get your hands on a couple decent transistors. There are layouts all over the internet for both. I've done a few over the last couple of months with a layout I did combining the two. If I really wanted, I could even get it in a 1590B.

I do regret passing up one that was offered to me for $400 a few months ago though. I could've made a killing at the prices they're selling for right now.

13. coot tone

coot tone Member

I sold my Sunlion when I discovered I was just as happy with a PCR Ranger and a London Fuzz I. Bought both used and can switch them around. Sunlions are great pedals, but they ARE just a Rangemaster and Ge Fuzz Face in one box.

14. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

15. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

I don't think they're selling for that much anymore. Especially since Mike released the new version. Things got a little crazy there for a while.

16. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 Senior Member

that's what i did and it hasn't left my board since. been maybe 2 years! undefeated so far

17. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I recently picked up a Main.Ace.FX F*ckFace which is their take on the fuzz face into a rangemaster pedal. I like it quite a bit but not $300 worth.

18. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

I don't think theyre going for that much anymore. I been thinking about selling mine too. The last original one I saw on eBay went for $550

19. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Thanks - I maybe totally out of line on mine then. I paid a lot more, thinking of keeping it if it's in the $500 range

20. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

Agreed.