Analogman TS-9 Silver

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BurgundyMist, May 18, 2011.

1. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Member

Hi guys,

I don't mean this to be one of those "which is best overdrive" threads, but I would like to hear your opinions. As the title says, I'm about to order a Analogman TS-9 Silver pedal, and I'm wondering wether to also have the true bypass mod.

I have only had TS-808 before, so I don't know how TS-9 plays with other pedals. My other drive pedals are OCD (or Hot Cake depending on the amp) & Klon.

True bypass mod is $40, and I rather not pay if it's not necessary. So those who have had it modded, what do you think?

2. blackba

blackba Member

What else does your pedal board consist of? Do you have any pedals with buffers in the chain.

I have a Maxon OD-808 and I find the bypass fine on it, its not True Bypass. I think the OD-808 has buffer in it. I like to have a pedal or two with a decent buffer in my chain.

3. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Member

Yeah I have few buffers already (Boss CE-2, TR-2, RV-3, MXR '74 phase RI) and then I also have big box DMM and Fulltone '69. This is my "full" board. I don't usually have them all on my board though...

I'm sure sometimes I would just have guitar --> TS-9 --> DMM --> amp.

4. Triangle

Triangle Member

I'd go ahead and get the upgrade to true bypass. The ts buffer isnt particularly regarded for its helpfulness (not that its got a severely bad reputation either), but if you're going to drop the cash you might as well just go all in and get a pedal you know you won't regret.

5. Lance

Lance Member

I have one, and didn't get the tbp switch. It sounds fine, because it's on a looper, and bypassed altogether. But, if you don't have that, I would get it. It's not a big tone sucker, but every little bit helps, right?

6. yotoad

yotoad Member

I have the TS9 Silver with True Bypass - I went for it because I have other pedals in my chain that already have buffers.

7. wec

wec Silver Supporting Member

Just get the Maxon version. It sounds better than the Ibanez (in my opinion) and is already true bypass. I have about 4 or 5 Analogman TS's and the Maxon is the best.

8. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

This!! Analogman actually recommended the Maxon over the Ibanez when I asked his opinion.

As for the Silver Option, it was a definite improvement, wasn't for me either way though, sold long ago.

9. jb1911

jb1911 Member

The AM Silver Mod is about my favorite TS pedal. I would also go for the Maxon or maybe a Phantom Overdrive if I wanted it to be a TB TS.

10. small axe

small axe Member

if you have a klon why not spend the 40 bucks and get true bypass....i would....it makes sense to me

11. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the AM Maxon OD9 Silver -- a really amazing OD. I gave up on Tube Screamers many years ago, but this thing is incredible. Sounds great with my Strat and my LP.

12. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I had two AM TS9 Silvers, just sold and shipped one of them yesterday (now I have one). I haven't had trouble with it not being true bypass. As far as comparing to the TS808, it is modded to be somewhat more similar than a stock TS9, smoother OD and slightly less midrange hump. I really like the TS, especially as a midrange boost in to a slightly broken up amp. If I were you, I would look for a used one, it goes for about $30-40 less, so you can have it modded to true bypass for the same price as a new TS9 Silver, either try it first or get it shipped directly to someone to mod it (or do it yourself). I generally like a more open boost or OD, but TS has a definitive place. I like it more than the OCD and Klon.

13. NR2112

NR2112 Member

I have a couple buffer pedals on my board as well, and I opted out of the TB ts9 form analogman. I haven't missed it. (though I'm not exactly sure I know what it is im missing)

Its a kick ass pedal that I will always have on my board. The saggy crunch chewy bark it gives is neat. Ive TRIED taking it off my board, and I ALWAYS have to have it come back.

14. TChen

TChen Member

i've been interested in sending in a Vox 810 Valve-tone for the silver mod. Haven't really played a TS in a looooong time. I'm more into the open, natural sounding drive.... but this Valve-tone looks so cool. I wonder if the mod would make it more to my liking, tone-wise.

15. SonicBlue61

SonicBlue61 Member

FWIW I like the Ibanez over the Maxon because it's easier to switch. I sometimes mess up in a Maxon cause the switch needs a good hard stomp.

Also new TS9s now ship with a 4558 opamp. The difference to an Od9 is really just the buffer. Both pedals are vintage accurate (now). IMO neither "needs" moding unless you want new features like more gain, but the tone is there. It was the older TS9 RI that started the rep of them not being as sweet as the originals.

16. JoeyHarley

JoeyHarley Member

hey sonic, is what you're saying that if I buy a 2011 TS9 it's back to being the same as if I bought a pre-2000 TS9???

17. killer blues

killer blues Member

The silver mod is kind of like the TS808HW, less midrange hump and a higher level of clarity than a ts9 or 808. Not as gainy either, imho. The brown mod will give you an identical TS808 with a carbon battery installed in it. I A/B'd mine with 3 different vintage 808's, and with a carbon battery in it, i couldn't hear a difference. It's been on my board since '98 and have yet to find anything to replace it with. I run that with a TS808HW and my OD needs are covered. Usual rig is a strat>'65 Bassman>2X12 with EV 200W classics. I can't complain

18. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

I went with the Maxon Silver Mod'd OD9s. Run two of them to get Trey tone.

19. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Member

Thanks for the tips everyone, really good info! I like little bit more open sound than a regular TS, but still want that little mid hump. I used to have a Mad Professor LGW very briefly, but it wasn't good for my rig at that time. Maybe I should think about LGW again, too...

20. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

You basically described what I feel the maxon od9+ does. I'd check one out before just buying a pedal to have modded, maxon nailed it with their tweaks.