analogue delay question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

if i was using an analogue delay - something like the mxr carbon copy for instance - and needed 225ms of delay, would i need to guess the time as there is no digi read outs to guide me... how do you deal with this?

2. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I'm sure this is of no help but I never think about delay in terms of ms or any kind of unit. I just set it to where I think it sounds best for what I'm doing by twisting the knobs.

3. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

yep, just tweak it 'til it sounds good...
    bw

4. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

you want dotted 8th notes?

5. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

no ....just a specific acurate delay time eg 40ms!!!

6. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

You know what, I just got rid of my Carbon Copy for that EXACT SAME reason--you have to guess what the delay time is.

Certainly the Carbon Copy is an exceptional pedal; the delays are warm, and it sounds fantastic on clean stuff. But there are times when I want an exact dealy time, especially for distortion (ie, 20-40 millisecond range).

In addition, I also found that I prefer a delay that doesn't degrade quite as much. The Carbon Copy is great for a kind of ambient sound...where the delayed chords kind of "melt into nothingness" so to speak.

Next I will be trying out the Yamaha Magicstomp-- not a delay corksniffers dream it would seem, but the many youtube videos and sound clips I have seen/heard have me convinced it is a great unit. I shall find out when I receive mine soon!

7. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Just thought I'd bump this so it doesn't disappear for the O.P.

I also realize that you can't specify the exact delay time on an analog delay pedal...just thought I'd try one out as I had only used digital delay pedals in the past. The Carbon Copy sounds great, just not my cup of tea, as they say. :)

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

If you are using an analog(ue) and it has a range of, say, 30-300ms then it is fairly simple to learn the points on the dial to get you the sounds you want.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not aware of ANY analog delay with digital controls (would be required for what you're asking). The earlier rackmount delays (Korg SDD, Roland D1500, D3000) used chipsets that gave a very nice warm sound and allowed setting delay time in msec. Otherwise, with analog tap tempo is as close as you're going to get...

10. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I don't think it's analog...but the DLS echotap has two modes, the tap mode, and the mms reader mode. It seems to be a decent pedal although I personally have never tried one out.
    have a look for yourself!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Zxabu_ZkQ

11. hide

hide Member

when i had my dd20, i always set my favorite delay time to 330ms accurately. But really, I got by easily with any other delay without the screen, its easy to get back to my favorite 330ms by simply tweaking, though its definitely not accurate but as long my ears love it, who cares about that few milliseconds? :phones

12. jstone

jstone Member

If you want a timed thing to happen you should consider making some marks close to the setting you have found with your metronome while practicing.
    If you get close enough you can adjust while playing.

I ended up moding my old guaytone with an expression pedal for this purpose.

13. jeak

jeak Member

Do you have a metronome? If so, use this delay time calculator to figure out the BPM (beats per minute) equivalent of the delay time you want. Then set your metronome for the required BPM and match the delay setting to the metronome ticks.

For example, 500 ms = 120 quarter notes per minute; 250 ms = eighth notes at the same tempo.

This is not an efficient technique for on-the-fly tweaking, but if you're recording and want to sync your delay to the song, it works fine. As suggested above, you can also mark the knob for where various times are on the dial once you have figured them out.