Ancestors of Boss dirt

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drabombs, Apr 19, 2016.

1. drabombs

drabombs Member

I love me some Boss dirt and I know the FZ-2 is a Superfuzz copy of sorts. Are there any other Boss dirt pedals that are clones? I can't find much on the web about this.

2. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

id be interested to hear anything to the contrary but i had the impression most of theirs are relatively original. i know the sd1 is similiar to the TS, etc.

thecornman and MrLahey like this.
  3. Roadstar II

Roadstar II Member

I think the Boss MT-2 harkens back to the prehistoric species of bees that used to roam with the dinosaurs.

Silver Hand, ibis, MrLahey and 4 others like this.
  4. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I believe the SD-1 may have come before the TS. The SD-1 has asymmetrical clipping, which Boss/Roland patented, so the TS used symmetrical clipping.

I would guess the Boss OD-1 wasn't a clone of anything, but perhaps some of the later circuits, like the OD-2 or SD-1 were derived from those.

MrLahey and Dr.Picklebottom like this.
  5. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

the TS-808 (1979) came out 2 years before the SD-1 (1981).

the OD-1 pre-dates them both, coming out in 1977.

leonard d rock, MrLahey and RodR like this.
  6. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Hmm, okay. Does the OD-1 have asymmetrical clipping? Am I right about the patent thing?

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The OD-1 does indeed have asymmetrical clipping, just like the SD-1. And I have also heard the story about the patent, but only as a story - I have yet to see any concrete evidence of it. Using diodes to introduce clipping in a signal was not anything new in 1977, and doing it with an uneven number of diodes would just be a different application of existing technology. That sort of thing would be really hard (if not impossible) to be granted a patent on. But stranger things have happened, so who knows? I haven't seen the patent in question, at least.

I suspect the main reason Boss went for 2+1 diodes while Ibanez used 1+1 has to do with the gain structure around the diodes. The Boss has about twice as much gain available, so they could go for a higher clipping threshold, while the Ibanez needs the lower clipping threshold to get enough distortion out of it.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  8. charmonder

charmonder Member

FZ-3 is related to tone bender , it's like a silicon version

9. charmonder

charmonder Member

Oh yeah, this one may cause debate, but the OS-2 distortion side is similar to RAT if you look at the schematic

10. drabombs

drabombs Member

Interesting replies so far, thanks!

11. drabombs

drabombs Member

Any other info? Say on the HM-2, DS-1 or DS-2?

12. thecornman

thecornman Member

I have always felt Boss were pretty innovative with what they put out! Unlike so many pedal companies now that just seem to be putting out another supposedly superior version of something that has already been done including many of the Boss pedals.

Frankee and Phase45child like this.
  13. drabombs

drabombs Member

Yep, seems to be true.