Ancestry,23 and me, genetics and DNA analysis

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BoneSaw, Jan 31, 2018.

1. crhfish

crhfish Member

I did it on two different sites. I did both autosomal(regular), y-dna(male history) and Mtdna(female history) tests. My surname is Hays and I was really interested in finding out where my surname came from. You can do this with the y-dna test. That test races your male DNA you, to your father, to his father, etc. I did the test and joined a large project at FTDNA that includes hundreds of male Hays all looking for connections. I did not match anyone there, no one even close. Within a year I had several matches show up on the match page that were very close, but they were not Hays. I had 2 matches that were off by 2 markers on the y-111 test. Thats almost close enough to be a brother. But both of these folks were Chancellors, not Hays. After some more digging and some correspondence with those folks we determined that my Hays family and the Chancellors had live next to each other in two states over a long period of time. I put our y-dna match into several time frame (MRCA) models that told me that the three of us shared a common male ancestor within the last 150-180's at the most distant.

In a nutshell I have what they call a NPE, a non paternal event. MY GGgrandmother had a fling with one of the Chancellors that lived next door. So I am not a Hays by DNA. I had my father do the same test just to check, he is more closely related to them than I am, so its correct.

I typed all of this to warn you that you may find out some things that you may not want to know. I see folks all the time convinced that their paper trail is the standard and they are confused with some of the matches that show up. I also helped a friend figure out who here adoptive parents were, it took a while, but after figuring it out she met her birth family and it did not go well.

On the other hand, if you dig and learn it can tell you some interesting things. By my y-dna I am 100% Irish type 4. That group came to Ireland/England as a part of William the Conquerors army. They were Normans that had a Viking background. So my GGGGGGGGgrandfater was a viking.

CharlieS and Ampedusa like this.
  2. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I did it and they cloned me. They are using my clone for military missions and breeding with greys.

Travst likes this.
  3. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

My wife and I did it through 23andme. We discovered that she is overwhelmingly German-Irish, and that I am 25% English. What was a bit surprising was that I have virtually no Native American heritage, which conflicted a bit with our oral family history.

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I found out I’m a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  5. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

So...there are no names for your ancestors they discovered? I've been considering this but don't want to surrender my DNA unless the research and results are very thorough. I'm looking through the thread to find a cost, but no luck.

6. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

...and traced your history back to Utah? :D

vintage66 likes this.
  7. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Been thinking this might be cool but, I found out so much stuff though other distant relatives research had put on line. The genetics thing seems a bi cold. Found tons of cool stuff. My Grandmother in front of her fathers house as an infant in 1893 and a newspaper saying he build a new 2,000.00 house. Some of the stuff is almost tragic, 6th grate grand mother born in1792, married in 1808, and had 11 kids in the next 28 years. Weird thing is all of my ancestors on my moms Fathers and Mothers side were Calvary men in the civil war no matter the side none of them wanted to walk.

8. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I did Ancestry.com and they said I was Italian and German, which I knew about, but I also have Western Asian, Eastern European, Spanish, English, European Jewish and North African blood. I think I'll probably do 23&Me too, just to compare the two.

9. Neenja

Neenja Member

The CIA is going to have to kidnap me to get my DNA!

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

I figured it was worth the privacy risk. Afterall I spent a good part of my 20's desperately giving away my DNA... Anyway, I had already done a lot of family history research and traced back to 1600's on one side and not very far at all on the other. I find the info fascinating and recognize the conclusions aren't perfect. I'm mostly Irish which wasn't a surprise on my Mom's side but was a big surprise on my Father's side. Also, genetically I'm an O'Neil although I have an English last name. My ancestry can be traced back to an Irish King Niall of the Nine Hostages. Unfortunately nearly 10 percent of Irish men have the same ancestry so my claims on the throne are a tad weak. One of the interesting things you learn is how related we all really are. How we all trace back to Africa, and for me through India to Ancient Northern Europe and eventually across the English channel to Ireland maybe 5000 years or so ago. I think it helps me understand that we are all cousins regardless of race or current country we live in. Perspective...

jimmyj likes this.
  11. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

My sister just did 23&me. I wonder if it will trace father info.

12. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

I myself don't care. I pretty much figure some of my ancestors were jerks and some were pretty cool and some were in between. I couldn't give a flying f where they originated. If I went to any other country in the world, my lineage wouldn't matter to the locals. I would be an American to them and nothing else.

GottaPracticeMore and Last'sGal like this.
  13. Last'sGal

Last'sGal Member

I did ancestry’s. Too many conflicting stories from my bio mom made me curious. Apparently, she lied even more than I thought. About 95% of my dna comes from cold, pasty white countries. The 3% from Italy or Greece gives me all my coloring and inability to handle the cold. Lol

14. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest

It's not just disease history. It reveals exactly whose DNA you have in you. It varies, sometimes substantially, even among siblings. It's not a small difference when you are talking about DNA and who our genetic (vs simply physical) ancestors were.

Perhaps you don't want to know, and I respect that. People look into this for different reasons, all of which are legitimate. I just don't want to leave the impression in this thread for others that one's brother's DNA sequence is going to be practically identical to their own. The differences, if someone wishes to delve into it, can be very interesting.

15. loudboy

loudboy Member

This happened to a drummer I know, except the birth mother came after him when his son was about 18, and he had to retroactively pay child support to the tune of low 6-figures. They have a great relationship now, even played in a band together.

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

Does it break the male parent down into UPS driver, mail man, pizza boy, or just general delivery guy?

17. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE alert!

[​IMG]

geddyentwistle and Brutus like this.
  18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I understand. And actually I would like to know, just haven’t gotten around to it yet!

gag halfrunt likes this.
  19. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest

:dude

20. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Member

One of the problems currently with these tests (my sisters have done them) is that unless there is a large enough sample size for a given ancestry/ethnicity, it will not show in the results. Native Americans
    are woefully underrepresented in the samples they use, as are Romany gypsy, part of my ancestry. (not a whole lot of Romany or Native Americans taking part)

https://gizmodo.com/how-dna-testing-botched-my-familys-heritage-and-probab-1820932637

Patrick

gag halfrunt likes this.