And another thing about the digital age of music...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by docgorpon, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

Garth Brooks actually has his own streaming service, ghosttunes.com. Why? Because Garth is also has an MBA and is not going to let other people make money on his music that he should be making.

Not everyone can do this, Garth has his own legion of fans and doesn't need any help promoting or distributing his music. The internet model is great if an artist already has a "tribe" but if you're trying to make a name without giving away everything you have to be very careful, very good and very very lucky.

JT

2. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

I assume you are being somewhat sarcastic. It's a bit more complex than getting money to the artists. I'm all for that. I appreciate that Germany is very generous to artists. If you know more about the GEMA vs YouTube issue please fill me in.
    I was a bit miffed following TGP while visiting family in Germany this summer. Many of the vids posted were getting blocked. The one that was ridiculous was the old Disney Haunted House record someone stated a thread about. That 50 year old cheesy novelty record full of silly howls and hollers was blocked. Is someone who did those goofy noises still getting royalties? Or is it because it has the Disney name on it?
    Like I said, PROMO (than means FREE for you to watch so you'd buy the album) vids of bands from yyyyears ago are getting blocked.
    From what I can gather GEMA is fighting with youtube to get a few cents on a stream.
    I'm trying to figure out whether it's sincere -or is GEMA struggling to survive and punishing the public.
    There's a very bizarre net paranoia there.

3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

My position is that the rights holder should be the only one who is authorized to put something on YouTube.

They should get paid, and YouTube should get paid--hey they're providing a valuable service. If there's just one link for a given song, the tracking becomes much more straightforward and the wackamole goes away. If a jillion kids upload their copy of whatever, tagging that back to the rights holder becomes much more complicated. In that scenario, YouTube gets the money, the rights holder, gets less. YouTube is (obviously) cool with this, as are a jillion folks who don't want to pay for content. Rights holders, decidedly less so. However, they are the ones who matter the most.

"Promotional" videos or songs were produced to be distributed in a limited manner. Hence the legend "FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY--NOT FOR RESALE". The idea was that a very limited number of the objects would be distributed in a calculated manner at the choosing of the rights holder, not that a million of them would be dropped from an airplane over every major city. If they were provided to writers, it was so the writer would do something in return--write a review, or at least consider writing a review. The radio stations would play them, paying airplay royalties, and drive sales, and so on. The writers and radio stations were not supposed to put their promo copies out in the general market, although of course, they did. But, there were only so many of them, so what the hell.

The targeted end consumer wasn't supposed to get a promotional copy for nothing. If they saw a video, it was supposed to spur them to buy the song, not instantly make a perfect copy they could keep forever for free. The tv or radio station was paying PRO fees, and it was all a calculated marketing move.

"Punish the public"...please.

4. slybird

slybird Member

We haven't seen nothing yet. As time moves on existing copyrights will expire. In 160 years every song, chord progression, and melody that we currently know will be in the public domain. A future musicians will have to compete with every recording ever made.
    Jacques Attali called it 'a crisis of proliferation.'

5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

The nerve of those artists/writers/publishers!

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Not if Disney has their way.

A-Bone and S. F. Sorrow like this.
  7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Or they'll pass legislation in the US to increase the term of copyright protection, even sometimes retroactively, like they did with the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act in 1998.

8. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Well that is what any songwriter has to deal with ....... they have to come up with a ideal mix of the familiar and the novel . What is a bit insane now is that they are supposed to do it whilst on the road 9 months or more a year attending to 3 or 4 social media sites , practicing and perhaps improving at an and instrument . Plus maybe mixing , mastering and, even driving the tour bus and a few more task as well ...... How much time, energy and emphasis is left for composing??

The old adage " Jack of all trades Master of none " isn't supposed to apply I guess.........

9. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

Just work on your branding and things will all fall into place. And then social media will send you the mailbox money you need to pay the Chinese manufacturing and you can scale up to get the unicorn and move to precious metals. Good luck.

10. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

The current situation is preposterous. I'm supposed to troll the web finding people who are stealing my material. If I'm successful at that, I can instead get a few hundredths of a penny if those folks stream my tunes from a legal source. Is my time and music really worth that little?