And now for something different... Vigier.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pott, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Pott

Pott Member

When I was in Paris after christmas I went out to get an Albert Lee HH, or to maybe find something similar (bolt on, mahogany). I found one, way too expensive in Europe (2,600€ euros, which is exactly twice the price of one in the US!!) but it sounds EXACTLY like I want a guitar to sound.

Tried out a couple of Vigiers. Incredible instruments.
    Found a Vigier on sale, new: over 1,000€ off the normal price. It's an Excalibur Ultra Blues, which go for about 2,700€.

I pretty much got it for its build quality and to get something just different. It's a 25.6" scale length and has DiMarzios (Virtual PAF + two area 58s).

Things innovated on:

1. Vibrato is on ball bearings. As stable as a Floyd so far, much quicker to deal with.
    2. No truss rod! This baby has a carbon reinforced neck. Neck is set to a tiny bit of relief and this thing will never move. Very cool stuff.
    3. ZERO FRET!!! This thing was a revelation. No more big jump in loudness when playing open chords between fretted and open notes. Very cool evenness to the tones.

One of the downsides is that the guitar is very modern sounding. Not what I'm used to. The strings were very low while whereas I usually go for something more like 5mm off the 12th fret. As a result there's quite a lot of fret-buzz unless I play with a light touch, which I am really not used to. I've since raised the strings but to no avail. And since I can't adjust the relief...

I don't have the appropriate set of nut-files to enlarge the nut, so anything larger than 09-46 won't fit. Crying shame, she's begging for some bigger strings.

This is a SERIOUS instrument here. The most expensive thing I've ever bought and probably the best instrument I'll ever have (bar perhaps that Albert Lee HH I WILL one day own).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... but I still can't bond with it after a month, and I'm still lusting for that Albert Lee... :'(

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Let's get you fixed up.
    A near straight neck should work for any setup. Not a problem.
    A zero fret takes away the dependency of nut cut to determine string height so cutting the 'nut,' which is now only a guide, is not a problem.
    You can still adjust string height at the bridge. No problem.

The zero fret itself may be a problem if it is not at the right height....I cannot imagine Vigier having that problem but check it.
    Poor fret leveling might cause buzzing...but no high end instrument should have that...still you gotta check.
    You could fine-tune the sound via pup swaps..a hassle but not hopeless.
    I think you just need to tweak the guitar to remove the little niggles that bug you and you will mate with it!:D

3. Pott

Pott Member

We'll see... Unfortunately the pickup route only fits DiMarzios and out of the low/medium output ones, it appears there aren't many which are bassier/richer than the current choice (Virtual PAF).

For the nut I'll just need to find the appropriate size and re-do the slots. I already had started but couldn't get it low enough yet. With the 0 fret it's harder to get some distance on the file.

The frets are fine. I just need to get used to the guitar. My Strat has strings that are 5mm off the fretboard, I can whack the hell out of her and she'll be fine and stay in tune, and sound better. With this Vigier I need to be much more careful. It's interesting mind, I've not yet had this experience with a guitar.