And speaking of quirky vintage amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leonc, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Well, this one's not so much quirky as it is unusual. Magnatone (Estey) probably made a few but I've not seen another one like this. It's a PANaramic 1210 -- okay these are unusual but some of us have seen these before -- but with a solid state rectifier and Jensen C12R, stock!!!

I just replaced the filter cap can (and bias cap) and determined that the rectifier circuit was incorrect (thanks to some TGP helpers!)...the amp's been using only half the high voltage line and half of its full bridge rectifier all this time (who knows how long?!?), but it's sounding great now. Well at least to me.

2. KindaFuzzy

KindaFuzzy Member

Bitchin', love those c12r jensens.

3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I'm not sure why that would be surprising.

4. Leonc

Because I've only ever seen 1210s with alnico Oxfords, never with ceramic Jensens. You do occasionally see one of the Magnatone-made amps with a Jensen (e.g,. Phil X's Tonemaster) though it is quite unusual. I've never seen this model with a Jensen AND the SS rectifier.

One of the guys on the Magnatone-Valco discussion forum says he thinks you see it more in later years, when Estey was making more SS-rectified amps under its only label while they continued to make older style amps like this...but with the same type of SS-rectification and often Jensens. It's just a theory though.

5. Leonc

Fuzzy - thanks mang! Actually, you're hearing a lot more Swamp Thang than C12R in this recording. First, it's way more efficient and second, it's in front of the C12R ;)

The Swamp Thang is actually reminiscent of something like a C12N or some other Jensens (at least to me)...but there's more of it and there's none of the issues you run into with old Jensens.

6. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

That is the time period when you see a switch from Alnico to Ceramic magnet speakers and from tube to ss rectifiers in general. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jensens showed up as a result of back ordered speakers from another manufacturer. I go through this quite a bit myself. You call in an order for something and it is three weeks out. If I need it sooner, I'll call the next supplier that has something similar. Out of 3M 1000 grit sandpaper? I'll take the Norton!
    Out of Carling 3 way switches? Send me the Tritan.

Maybe Jensen sent the speakers as tryouts. I know local amp manufacturers that get samples sent to them. Maybe Jensen gave them an introductory price on an order. Back in the day they wouldn't really have been too picky and would have thrown them in an amp and sent it on its way. I've seen a few Panaramics, and a couple other names/variations. None recent enough to remember what speakers they had or rectifiers though.

7. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Very sweet sounding amp. Your playing makes me want to find one. I have always wanted to try a Magnatone (Estey) but have never had the opportunity. Thanks for recording and posting.

8. Leonc

Glad you enjoyed that. They're not for everyone. It's not going to work for everyone, but I'm definitely enjoying it!

9. brads

brads Supporting Member

Hey Leon----sounds great!

I have a stock Panaramic with solid state rectifier and a stock Jensen C12R. Mine has reverb and vibrato, so it's based on the Magnatone 440. Great amp as well. Speaker code is either 1962 or 1964, I'll have to check.

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

Sounds Great! Congratulations!

11. Leonc

Thanks!

Another similar amp? Awesome. They don't actually call yours a 1210 though, do they? Magnatone/Estey sure stretched things re: their schematics and model numbers...but not usually as far as adding reverb to a model that doesn't normally have it. I used to have a 440 a few years back...it was quite a bit different sounding. Better cleans...not as good dirties...

Hey Rob - thanks!

12. brads

brads Supporting Member

No, I should have clarified....it's not a 1210. Just pointing out the rectifier/speaker similarities.

13. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

Sounds great! Beautiful guitar too! Thanks for posting

14. Peppy

Peppy Member

What bridge pickup on the Thorn and what is the extra control beyond the bridge?

15. Leonc

Thanks Mr Kite and Peppy!

The bridge has piezos in it. The extra switch and knob are for switching the piezos in/out and blending their level with that of the electro-mags. I used to use the piezos in my band quite a bit but I don't seem to be using them much these days.

Oh - those are just Fender American Standard Telecaster pickups, both of them. Nothing fancy.

16. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

That's Push-Pull 6V6, right?

Very nice!

I just got a Magnatone 210 today and it's all original. I turned it on and V1/V2 didn't light up (I'll need to re-tension the tube sockets), but I got it to work by wiggling those tubes. HOLY CRAP!!!! What a great sounding little amp! Not boxy like a BF/SF Champ or Vibro Champ, the vibrato is incredible and the thing breaks up like it has an overdrive pedal in front of it. Bugle Boy in V1, Sylvania in V2 and GE 6V6 and 5Y3.

Why didn't I hear about these before? It's always Fender this, Marshall that....

What a kick-ass little amp!

17. Leonc

Yup, 2x6V6, push-pull, cathode-biased, SS-rectified. I've never played a 210 but have heard plenty of great things about them. Congrats and enjoy a somewhat rare and definitely unusual amp!!