And the all-time Gibson artist model head-scratcher is...

Buduranus2

Silver Supporting Member
...the Trini Lopez model. Models, actually. The "Custom" was a slightly reworked Barney Kessel while the "Standard" was a 335 with a Firebird peghead. I like Trini Lopez as well as the next guy but I've never heard anyone aspire to play like him. If that weren't enough, now they've reissued a VOS Standard for $6,399!

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 8.57.41 PM.png

GtrTravel

...the Trini Lopez model. Models, actually. The "Custom" was a slightly reworked Barney Kessel while the "Standard" was a 335 with a Firebird peghead. I like Trini Lopez as well as the next guy but I've never heard anyone aspire to play like him. If that weren't enough, now they've reissued a VOS Standard for $6,399!

View attachment 475814

Good Tune. Fab voice and his right hand is tight with the drums. Dig it.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Signature models are not lifetime achievement awards for the most sick licks ever shredded.

They go to popular musicians and others with an audience (either a wide audience or a narrow deep audience).

Lopez was popular in his time. The guitar was not produced for many years, but Grohl gave it enough visibility to renew demand.

ClickClack

Instrument manufacturers bring out these signature models to make money by capitalizing on the artist's popularity, not as a sign of recognition of his/her excellence as a musician. As soon as that artist's popularity fades, the potential demand for said instruments is likely to fade, as well, and the instrument will become a collector's item until there is some reason to believe more can be sold.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
About the only rock musician used in guitar company ads in the 60s was Hendrix and Fender didn't change the name of the model. Gibson being somewhat of a traditional instrument company named models after more middle of the road or jazz players.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Doesn't seem so unusual to me. And the new releases are totally driven by the popularity of the Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl, so that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Guitarworks

Actually, it was Pete Stroud who started the price increase on vintage Trini Lopez Standards. Many years before Dave Grohl got a sig Gibson Trini Lopez, Pete went on record in an interview stating (I'm paraphrasing here) 'If you want a Gibson ES-335 without the Gibson ES-335 price tag, buy a Trini Lopez. They're cheap and plentiful. It's a 335 with the wrong headstock, but it makes no difference to the sound. I see them everywhere and I've snagged several really good ones for next to nothing.' That's when the prices started to climb on those.

mermermer

View attachment 475814

Actually the firebird has a Trini Lopez headstock. And the Kiefer Sutherland is up there with the Beato for best head scratchers.

I don't even know who that is/was. I'd like to think Gibson's marketing department does research to establish that there's a market demand before starting a brand new line of guitars. My assumption is that they did, and I must be an idiot for not "getting it"...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom