And the Fuzz Search Continues, Leading Into Univox Superfuzz Territory

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

So I've been on the hunt for a stoner rockish, Smashing Pumpkinish, Grand Funk Railroadish fuzz pedal, took some great suggestions like DAM Meathead, MJM Foxey, LBM, Muff clones, etc. So last night I'm jamming with Karl P and we broke out his early '70s Univox Superfuzz. Dialed in some slight dirt on my Bogner Duende, rolled the tone knob off on my JP7 (yes, stoner fuzz on a Petrucci, the horror :)) and kicked the Superfuzz on. Holy moses, I was in love. Very meaty, fuzzy, and some crazy octaves squeek out in the upper registers. So today I hit a semi local shop to try out some fuzzes. At my disposal was a Barber Trifecta, Subdecay Flying Tomato and a ZVex Fuzz Factory. They all sounded great in their own way, the Trifecta I thought being the most versatile, the Flying Tomato being the most subtle and the Fuzz Factory being too over the top for me. I really ran the Trifecta through the paces and I did like it but those crazy fuzz tones I was getting from Karl's Superfuzz were intoxicating. Short of tracking down a vintage Superfuzz, I'm looking for some decent clones, preferably in a small box and true bypass. I've read where the MJM China is a good choice but I guess it's custom order only, I've also been hipped to the Soulkitchen Magnolia Fuzz. Others have mentioned Analogman's Peppermint Fuzz and also the Black Cat Super Fuzz although I read where Black Cat's quality has been hit or miss.

Thoughts on a nice Univox Superfuzz clone?

2. Josh O

Josh O Member

3. marcau

marcau Member

Give the Monsterpiece Angry Dick 2000 a look, Its a jordan bosstone clone iirc, you can get those ringmoddish octaves if you roll the volume on your guitar down, though it doesnt really clean up, you can get a variety of tones out of it. another pedal that i have yet to try is the ashbass assbrite? (*spelling), you can get them on the bay, cloneof te mosrite fuzzrite, pretty close to what you're describing.

4. Josh O

Josh O Member

thanks for the tips, gonna have to keep looking. Some sound clips I heard of the Sinister Analog Ultra Lord sounded pretty cool too. I'd ideally like to get the real thing and run it through a true bypass box, that would be sweet. Will keep my eyes peeled.

5. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

Why don't you just order the mjm china fuzz and wait a little longer for a badass fuzz. Donner got one in a mxr size box and it looks and sounds great. He posted a you tube vid of it.

6. Josh O

Josh O Member

I just might do that although I just bid on a Univox Superfuzz. If that falls through, it might be MJM. Good looking out on the you tube vid, I'll take a look for it.

7. Josh O

Josh O Member

Holy moses, I was in the running for an early 70's Superfuzz on the 'Bay. I was hanging at $202.50 for over an hour and as I was counting down the last minute, I was still leading the pack and then with 30 secs left, someone outbid me and went to $205.00 Hit refresh, went to $255.00, hit refresh went to $350.00 and ended at $355.00. Wow, that happened quick!! Oh well, congrats to whoever won it.

8. fuzzinator

fuzzinator Member

$350 is about the going rate for a Univox Super Fuzz.

I haven't heard soundclips of a Super Fuzz clone that managed to capture the tones in the original. I did hear the Black Cat clone was close, but Fred (the proprietor) has been out of commission for nearly 2 years. Apparently he'll be back in business sometime this year, according to Analog Mike.

Kevin Randall has a clone in the works. I'm willing to bet it will be best option short of an original.

9. Stravinsky

Stravinsky Member

yeah, I was watching that Superfuzz climb really quick in that last minute as well. $350 is high for one in as-is condition, and untested. I wish there was a legitimate clone out there...

10. Josh O

Josh O Member

yeah that was the real kicker, as is and untested although they did say they'd refund within seven days if you didn't like it.

Ah well, the search continues.

11. kalender1

kalender1 Member

I just picked up an astro fuzz today.Made by a local amp guy in Cambridge ,Ma.2 nobs..volume and fuzz.Germanium/silicon hybrid.Easy to dial up a great tone.Havnt giged with it yet.That will seal the deal.

12. Josh O

Josh O Member

I'm ready to give up. Too much out there!

13. woodie

woodie Member

i've had one of those for like 4 years now (#3) and it is such a great pedal. i just recently got his tonebender model, too (angry dragon). way more outlandish than the astofuzz, which is almost "civilized" compared to a lot of fuzzes out there.

14. Josh O

Josh O Member

I've got three words, Creepy Fingers Effects!! Brad Davis, the bass player from Fu Manchu (the fuzz masters!), is making pedals and he was one called the Rising Fuzz which is a clone of the Crown/Univox/Shin-ei era of Japanese fuzz pedals from the late '60s/early '70s era. Although I haven't had a chance to wack it up against Karl's original early '70s Super Fuzz, from what I remember how it sounded a few weeks ago, the Rising Fuzz does a really good job copping that vibe, including those ring modulatorish tones. Very cool.

15. Creepy Fingers

Creepy Fingers Member

Yo

This is Brad from Creepy Fingers Effects. The Rising Fuzz has been renamed the "Harakiri". Unlike other clones of the Univox and Shinei etc Superfuzz circuits I use the actual NOS transistors from the first edition SF. I also tune the circuit to get the most dynamic sound out of it. A lot of SF clones can be overcompressed sounding. This makes them a bit more big in the low end and squeezes a little touch sensitivity although this circuit basically mangles your guitar. I've done a/b tests with 2 original Orange/Blue Superfuzzes, a Crown fuzz, A Shinei, Jax and Companion Superfuzz circuits. They generally sound either identical or better than the originals ( quieter noisewise, a little more output). There is a side by side comparison on www.myspace.com/creepyfingerseffects of the Harakiri and the Crown fuzz Scott in my band Fu Manchu used on our records. It gives an example of how close it is to the old ones. Of course they feature true bypass, Alpha pots, and Switchcraft jacks. You can also request a blend knob for the Scooped/non scooped settings. Or go for the original two pos switch.
    You guys can email me if you have any questions at cfeffects@gmail.com...

--Brad

16. Marsonic

Marsonic Member

Im a small pedal builder...I just built a Univox SuperFuzz Clone..(exact replica of the 1969 2sc828 transistors and Germanium diodes)..I have Prototype #001 for sale now for $125...(its not small)...but it IS true bypass..
    http://youtube.com/bentelectronics
    http://blog.circuitbentlasergun.com
    jasontherep@gmail.com

17. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I think the Wattson Electronics Superfuzz is the closest recreation. I had an original Apollo branded Superfuzz and the Wattson sounds identical. Reasonably priced too at $199. Pro Guitar Shop carries them and they have a youtube demo of the pedal.

18. small axe

small axe Member

fulltone 69 fuzz if u can find one for a decent price, the 70 is great too, or the zvex fuzz factory in my humble opinion

19. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

20. drewl

drewl Member

If you're handy get a BYOC Superfuzz clone.
    I made my own out of stuff I had lying around and even with generic transistors it sounds awesome.