and the worst Fender Pickup position across all their guitars go to..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Deluzion, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Deluzion

Deluzion Member

drumroll.....................................
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fumbles between nominee cards, Strat, Tele, Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Mustang.

and the winner is ......................

THE FENDER TELECASTER NECK PICKUP!!

This guitar has won this prestigious award because it simple sucks so much more than any other pickup in any other classic Fender guitar. Its position is wrong, its design is wrong( for any non hack bass player) and its just ****. Give me one good reason now to mod my CS tele to a esquire and just forget Leo ever got that stupid idea of making a Telecasters neck a wannabe bass guitar.

EtaCarinae, lemonman and bismark like this.
  2. handyman

handyman Member

That's never occurred to me, but I guess I do see an incredible number of teles modded to replace the neck pickup with something else.

My vote for 2nd place goes to Strat bridge pickups wired up without a tone knob. I love Strat bridge position, but I'd have a heck of a time making it work without dialing out some treble much of the time. Never understood why they come from the factory without it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Yamariv, Lobotomie, JPH118 and 22 others like this.
  3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

User error on an epic scale. Epic.

Austin

Redrum, egregion, Groovadile and 99 others like this.
  4. Deluzion

Deluzion Member

I guess you are just a much better player than alot of us who doenst care one bit for the Tele pickup. Thanks for chiming in sir. We are not worthy

Sam Xavier likes this.
  5. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

I love my tele neck pickup. I however hate position 2 on a strat. So much worse.

6. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Tele neck sounds so good, especially with the tone rolled off just a little. There are no bad pickup positions, just bad threads about bad pickup positions.

7. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

I’m not a better player I just know how to use it.

Much better than that foolish 5 way strat selector.

8. Rob303

Rob303 Supporting Member

Wow! My Josefina Twisted neck pickup on my CS 62 Tele Custom is possibly the best sounding Fender neck position I’ve ever played. Clear, scooped, glassy bell tone.

Jet Age Eric, ScottR, Cotton and 11 others like this.
  9. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

Seeing how a lot more telecasters have been made and sold than esquires tells me that it's you who's in the minority here.

I happen to like the neck position of a Tele. I get some very nice jazz tones there. To each their own I guess.

10. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

Tele neck pickups sound awesome and I'm a humbucker guy through and through. But the tone from my tele neck pickup up is glorious. I'm a big fan of the position between neck and middle on a Strat, too. Typically called position 4. Now a bridge pickup in a Strat. Nope. Way to spikey. Same with a bridge pickup on a Tele. Way too spikey. However the DiMarzio Area T Hot bridge pickup I installed sounds pretty good, but it's more like a PAF then anything.

11. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Tele neck pickups are pretty bad...but still better than positions 2 and 4 on a Strat with a 5 way switch. IMHO, of course.

caleb_layne and thomas4th like this.
  12. Rob303

Rob303 Supporting Member

Should I assume you quack haters are neither SRV nor Mark Knopfler fans?

13. fitz

fitz Member

I learned to appreciate the Tele neck pickup over the years. You can get some really Jazzy tones from it. And lets face it, you can't get the middle position tone without it.

14. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

I live on the middle p/up selector on my Tele’s.
    I also like the #4 position of the 5 way Strat selector.

I also like the smell of napalm in the morning, but that’s just me.

4b454e, C-4, Fat tone79 and 4 others like this.
  15. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

At least I know where you stand. Have you tried the middle pickup selector position? Pretty great IMO. Maybe not so much for the brootalz, but as they say, you gotta go with your strengths.

Fat tone79 and ifallalot like this.
  16. Nathan Carrille

Nathan Carrille Member

You know whats funny, I bet austin has played way many more teles than we ever will in our life time. I'm not one to complain as well so there is that.... I known austin from multiple forums and he definitely knows what's up, he owns many high end guitars, including teles..... if the neck pickup doesn't suit your, change the pickup, not the guitar.

gibson3798 and coltonius like this.
  17. budglo58

budglo58 Member

The Strat bridge pickup with no tone control gets my vote. The quack haters are always around , but too many great tones exist using them to take it seriously. SRV, knopfler and others used it with great success , as did bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd. There was a reason why it now comes stock with a 5 way switch . Me personally , I’ve never been a fan of the middle by itself either.

18. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

Some are unuseable they are so dark and warm. However, if you get one thats not just a straight up OG style one, the can be pretty great. Twisted Tele necks sound better than a lot of strat necks to me. I also dig the Texas Special neck. The duncan vintage for broadcaster set is my favorite traditional neck that Ive tried.

dansworld, Mincer and JDutch like this.
  19. Deluzion

Deluzion Member

I forget there is one thing the Tele neck can do well, Jeff Buckley songs like Hallelujah. For that its quite usable i guess.

In Absentia and Matt Dillon like this.
  20. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Neck Telecaster pickups sound great IMO. The traditional standard wind ones included. What I would say about those is that they can get lost in a band situation, which isn't the same as saying they in any way sound bad. But IMO that's why many have gone to either a higher output Tele sized single, or humbuckers, P90s and all.

Fat tone79, rizla and smiert spionam like this.