And TPS just made the OCD 1.7 into a holy grail

metrokosmiko

Expect prices to go up. Two 1.7's that I was watching on Reverb were scooped in the time it took me to watch this video.
Other than that, I'm happy they made this video - it's tiresome explaining how v1.x and v2 are completely different pedals to everyone and I guess I'm relieved to confirm I'm not crazy.
And about the Ge... It's a GAS relief to know I won't go near it. It's more of a v2 than a v1.7.

ferrinbonn

Eh, not sure I agree. It's darker and a bit less harsh sounding, but that can often be the opposite of what you actually need if you're playing in a mix. And as always, it comes down to what amp you're playing through and how you have it EQed. The 1.7 seems to have a bit more of the tube screamer character to my ear. The mid bump is more in the lower mids.

Jeff_G

Expect prices to go up. Two 1.7's that I was watching on Reverb were scooped in the time it took me to watch this video.
Other than that, I'm happy they made this video - it's tiresome explaining how v1.x and v2 are completely different pedals to everyone and I guess I'm relieved to confirm I'm not crazy.
And about the Ge... It's a GAS relief to know I won't go near it. It's more of a v2 than a v1.7.

I think you mean TPS.

And for my taste in a live band setting, I’ll take 2.0.

earwax

Good show. Too bad they couldn’t have got a hold of all the versions! That would have been even better.

metrokosmiko

Eh, not sure I agree. It's darker and a bit less harsh sounding, but that can often be the opposite of what you actually need if you're playing in a mix. And as always, it comes down to what amp you're playing through and how you have it EQed. The 1.7 seems to have a bit more of the tube screamer character to my ear. The mid bump is more in the lower mids.
That's precisely why I prefer the earlier OCD. The v2 is as flat as they come, and I play single coils so I do appreciate some more mids. I can always use more mids.

I actually think they made a stellar job of conveying the difference in EQ between the two pedals - I once recorded a shootout between my 1.7 and the CAR (which is a v2) and, while they sounded massively different in the room, I couldn't hear much difference on my DAW once I added a cab impulse.

I guess the difference is relevant in a live setting more than anything.

Big in Japan

Supporting Member
It's totally amp dependent. They're all varying shades of great; but 2.0 is by far my favorite with my Princeton Reverb.

soundxplorer

Supporting Member
Eh, not sure I agree. It's darker and a bit less harsh sounding, but that can often be the opposite of what you actually need if you're playing in a mix.
I do suspect that if all these YouTube channels did their A/B/C pedal comparisons with a full band on stage playing a song, opinions might be very different. Maybe even a lot more "eh, I don't hear much of a difference". Or, "I'm selling all my Klon$ and buying a BD-2."

I may watch this later. I had a Version 2.0 and didn't really care for it that much. There were some good sounds in it when paired with a compressor and overdrive, but too bassy for me by itself most of the time.

I’ve never owned an OCD ,tried one once. Wanted to get one but all these versions makes my head spin enough to turn me off. Now I hope someone comes out with a clone of the best version or one that approximates ALL versions. I’d bet JHS is working on it right now lol!

Robot B9

In my experience every version of the OCD has been better than V2. My favorite is version 1.2, but I also own 1.1 and 1.4. Sold my 1.7 not too long ago.

I had V2 and the new GE and they were way too dark. I couldn’t sell them fast enough.

spookyelectric

Supporting Member
I’ve never owned an OCD ,tried one once. Wanted to get one but all these versions makes my head spin enough to turn me off. Now I hope someone comes out with a clone of the best version or one that approximates ALL versions. I’d bet JHS is working on it right now lol!
Ditto!

Oh, I'd bet Josh is already working on one like he did with the Bonsai for TS types

Trending Topics