And TPS just made the OCD 1.7 into a holy grail

FuzzyAce

My buddy brought his over recently and I finally got to try one after years of being like you. 1.7 I believe. To be honest. I loved it. Like a RAT kinda. But different. Super killer sounding distortion. Crunchy but thick and super smooth. I will probably end up with one someday.
If you liked it then I say go for it. From your description, sounds as if I have that tone territory covered pretty well. Rat, 3 BK tube drivers, Bae hot fuzz, an old blues driver. I like those crunchy, thick and smooth tones. my usual go-tos are the od3 and ts9 though.

Jab_Guitar

Its an amp/speaker/cab dependent pedal, just like any other pedal. It really doesn't matter what version you own if you prefer it and I wouldn't say any version is 'better' than the other, it just depends on what you like. Also once you're in a band and playing the differences hardly matter, everything changes compared to just A/B the pedals side by side like this.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, I didn’t know there are actually 8 different versions now??? :confused:
Marketing at its finest. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
They said there is not much difference between the variations of 1.x

On this board at least most prefer the 1.4.

andtrea

Can't wait for Mike Fuller to call Dan and Mick tone deaf idiots.

Et voilà... (from Fulltone facebook page)

"The lads at "That Pedal Show" just posted a lengthy comparison video between a V1 OCD and a new V2 and Cs-Ge. Aside from the ridiculous futility of attempting to set the knobs the same, all sounded good, go figure.
The reason you can't set the knobs the same is that the V2 and Ge both have Audio Taper DRIVE pots compared to the V1's Linear Taper. And the Ge also has an Audio Taper VOLUME control as well, so it would appear to be much more quiet than the others with the VOLUME knob at Noon, but the volumes of all 3 would be equal with VOLUME knob full-up.
Anyway, by the comments and sheer volume of sales of OCDs at store.fulltone.com, I'd say well over 50% prefer the newer OCD's, which will be much to the chagrin of the cork-sniffers. lol.
Tools, people, they're just tools.
You just have to have some skills to build something with them"

songtalk

If you liked it then I say go for it. From your description, sounds as if I have that tone territory covered pretty well. Rat, 3 BK tube drivers, Bae hot fuzz, an old blues driver. I like those crunchy, thick and smooth tones. my usual go-tos are the od3 and ts9 though.

For me the RAT and OD-2r/BD-2 fill the role of an OCD fine when I need that sound but it's definitely a good pedal. I may someday end up with one just for fun/experiment!

PFDarkside

I’ve never owned an OCD ,tried one once. Wanted to get one but all these versions makes my head spin enough to turn me off. Now I hope someone comes out with a clone of the best version or one that approximates ALL versions. I’d bet JHS is working on it right now lol!
Came here to make this joke.

jeff_lebowski

I've only played 1.7 and I've used as a base OD through my Mesa Marks for years and years. Marks are great pedal platforms but the gain and clean up through the guitar isn't as responsive and dynamic.

I think it's wonderful for overdrive blues into 70s hard rock.

It has so much output I dime the volume and just notch up the gain ever so slightly to go from early 60s blues tunes to the raunchier Led Zep tunes.

LP mode for the cranked Fender guys (Bloomfield, Santana) HP for cranked Marshall guys (Page and Hendrix)

MoonshineMan

I've heard that before, but i'd imagine it has it's place. amp dependant kind of thing

That’s the thing. Electric rigs are a team sport. Everything plays a part and has to play well with everything else.
The “best-est peddle in the hole wide werld” might sound awful with my rig, and the “worst” might sound great.

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
If I buy one today at GC or online at Sweetwater, what the heck version am I going to be receiving?

Et voilà... (from Fulltone facebook page)

"The lads at "That Pedal Show" just posted a lengthy comparison video between a V1 OCD and a new V2 and Cs-Ge. Aside from the ridiculous futility of attempting to set the knobs the same, all sounded good, go figure.
The reason you can't set the knobs the same is that the V2 and Ge both have Audio Taper DRIVE pots compared to the V1's Linear Taper. And the Ge also has an Audio Taper VOLUME control as well, so it would appear to be much more quiet than the others with the VOLUME knob at Noon, but the volumes of all 3 would be equal with VOLUME knob full-up.
Anyway, by the comments and sheer volume of sales of OCDs at store.fulltone.com, I'd say well over 50% prefer the newer OCD's, which will be much to the chagrin of the cork-sniffers. lol.
Tools, people, they're just tools.
You just have to have some skills to build something with them"

Almost diplomatic.

The OCD is a good pedal. Fuller is a good pedal builder. His customer service is well documented and I'm one of the many who will never buy another Fulltone product. He's not wrong here. Just another case of Mike being himself.

mertay

Still using my EHX Glove, after liking it thought of getting an original OCD but just never felt the need...

rolandk

Silver Supporting Member
I wish someone would reverse engineer the schematics so we could turn what we have into the version we want. I have mixed feelings about my 2.0 and prefer the 1.7 in the video. Mine seems to have a really boomy low end and screechy high end (or just a lack of mids). I set the pedal tone for the low end and roll off my guitar tone for the high end. It does sound nice when you get it dialed in but getting there is a pain. I like pedals that sound great straight off and it’s just a matter of fine tuning.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom