and yet another pedalboard / rig concept

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Erdare, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Erdare

Erdare Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Having followed the pedalboard forums as I was constructing mine, I wanted to post a few shots (I hope these pics come up)
    The board is contructed of a finger jointed mahogany frame with a moderately flamed hard maple hinged top to conceal the power suppy and stash boxes. The sloping plywood surface is only lightly attached so I can change it if a new layout strikes me. Most of the wiring is concealed below the board leaving a clean appearance. The pedal count has been reduced by adding the Eventide Eclipse for some of the effects.
    About the signal path. My overdrives come first as that is where they seem happiest. Then to the compressor, Choral Flange (set up to provide only a mild slow combing effect to thicken the sound), the Wah and then the Tonebone ABY. Power is supplied by a modified Burkey Flatliner (has the 15v Tonebone outlet). My portable / gig amp is a modified Two Rock Overdrive Reverb (right). The signal leaves the effect send to the Eclipse and then to the Mesa EL 84 stereo which powers the Alnico Blue open back cabinet below. The upper cabinet is a closed back Scumbag equipped unit. The left side goes to the Trentino which is fun to use for rehearsals where nothing has to move. The Trentino is also set up wet/dry with an Eventide Orville feeding a Marshall el84 amp into a Two Rock 1265 equipped 4x12 made of edge grained spruce and internally braced like a guitar top. This cabinet has a diagonal wet/dry setup and sounds like a Stradivarius on steroids. The guitars are of my own design & contruction. The right is active(very) and the left is Tom Holmes equipped. All in all I'm very pleased with the setup but will continue to explore tonal nirvanna.

Regards,
    Gene

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

In the words of Keanu Reeves, "Whoa."

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

good lord my friend! thats a beautiful rig you have there!

4. Ned

Ned Member

beautiful rig!!!! im loving the matching wood pedal board...adds a vintage look and a luxurious taste to the equipment :drool

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Cool board. It looks heavy as hell though!

6. Erdare

Erdare Member

Thanks for the kind words. The weight on the empty board is not too bad but the Burkey is a porker...but it really does a great job and I think it's quieter than my previous pedal power 2.
    If anyone has ideas on improvements or other pedals I'm missing but should have, please sound out...I've gotten a lot of great info here.

Regards,
    Gene

7. GeraldCleveland

GeraldCleveland Member

So will you build them for a fee?????

Very Nice!

8. drolling

drolling Member

Very, very nice Gene..

I share your taste in pedals, currently running a Diamond comp, Timmy and HoneyBee on my comparatively hideous unfinished plywood board.

Altho' you do seem to have plenty of space left, I'm not really sure what else you'd need.. Perhaps an analgue delay? I'm using a Diamond Memory Lane, w/an Echoczar somewhere in my distant future.

Your guitars are quite impressive looking as well - must be about a 1/2 pound of abalone inlays on the one on the left..

9. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

Very nice design! It uses elements similar to the NGM and Pumaboards concepts, and takes it a step further. I like it a lot!

IMHO, it's only missing one thing...;)

10. mild

mild Member

Phooooar thats nice. Lots of drive there too my friend!

The stash spaces are a killer idea.

11. Erdare

Erdare Member

Hey Drolling,
    I was running a DL4 for delay on there until I got the Eclipse. I've created a few patches for delays which I use on a lot of the Kimmock stuff we do. I love the sound of a great digital reverb / delay with 16 or 32 lines of delay and the Eclipse does really well on this..not quite as well as the Orville but it's a single space. By having the delay and reverb post preamp, it sounds a lot better when I overdrive the amp.
    Gerald, I'm not sure I could be talked into building more but if you're not handy and don't have any cabinetmaker buddies jot me a note & I can hook you up.
    Jono...love the drives as well. they are all set up with different voices for different pickups and can work well with the amps' overdrives. The stash boxes were kind of an afterthought but come in handy for board related stuff.

Gene

12. Filter428

Filter428 Member

13. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

That is one awesome looking pedalboard. Heck, I'd pay you for one of those bad boys! Let me know if you'd be interested in making another! :)

14. Erdare

Erdare Member

Hey Drolling,
    I got my Timmy off ebay and it came with no information. Can you tell me what the function is for the 2 dip switches inside? I was messing with them the other night and they seem to have a subtle effect on the sound.
    Regards,
    Gene

15. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Gene, cool setup, just for kicks, get yourself a Fulltone OCD pedal, the later one.

16. Thor

Thor Member

Simply stunning - great job with that board - complements your rig quite nicely.

17. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Wow Gene, that's one spectactular setup. If I still lived in Chevy Chase (Kenwood on River Road) I might've been tempted to check it out in person (assuming you'd be game). I'm way out here in the boonies now though so it's not so convenient. ;)

Anyway, I've been stockpiling some decent wood (believe it or not it's possible to find some nice flamey boards at Home Depot...honest :)) and plan on building myself a pedalboard & rack for my Valverb soon. I'll need to find a cabinetmaker or furniture maker to help with the finger jointing though. I really like the idea of the pockets which could come in quite handy for carrying cords, picks, and such. Yours is much bigger than I'd consider making, but it looks really good.

18. Den

Den Member

Great rig. Great board. Pro design and pro workmanship! (It's almost as much fun putting the toys together as playing guitar, isn't it?) :dude

19. Mixoso

Mixoso Supporting Member

WOW!!! Hey neighbor ( I am in Silver Spring) nice set up!! I am going to show these pics to my wife next time she gives me grief about having too much gear!!!!
    Jim