• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

And Your Bird Can Sing

trainwrecker

Anyone know what the chord is that lands on the word "down" during the breakdown "When your prized possesions.." The root is an F I believe but I can't put the rest of the chord together, the next chord is a plain E major then an F#m, B to the guitar riff.

HedgesFan

Not sure of the name ,F half-diminished I think. (F) on D string 3rd fret, (B) on the G string 4th fret, (D#) on B string 4th fret and (G#) E string 4th fret. Someone correct me on the name if I'm off base. Good luck.

Mandoboy

On the early (Anthology) version in D, before the harmonized guitars were worked out, it sounds like a full diminished.

On the Revolver version in E I believe it's a C#/E#- the bridge sounding like:

G#m/G#m(maj7)/G#m7/C#overE#

with the bass line G#>G>F#>E#

Those harmonized guitars (under the sung bridge as well as the solo that follows) make some of the best moments in all of Beatledom!

trainwrecker

Yea the whole passage is G#m, Gaug, B, (that F chord), E, F#m, B->verse, at least that's how it sounds to me. You know as an aside, Lennon made disparaging remarks about that song but it truly is a great tune.

Scott57

You know as an aside, Lennon made disparaging remarks about that song but it truly is a great tune.
Agreed. I love this song and never understood why Lennon disliked it. However, I think he said it at a time when he was dismissing almost everything Beatle in his life.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Agreed. I love this song and never understood why Lennon disliked it. However, I think he said it at a time when he was dismissing almost everything Beatle in his life.
There was definitely a period where Lennon was very critical and dismissive of much of The Beatles catalog, especially his own input.

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
One of my favorite songs by anyone, ever. A while back, I worked the harmony parts out with a friend...what a joy to play.

Yea the whole passage is G#m, Gaug, B, (that F chord), E, F#m, B->verse, at least that's how it sounds to me. You know as an aside, Lennon made disparaging remarks about that song but it truly is a great tune.
There was definitely a period where Lennon was very critical and dismissive of much of The Beatles catalog, especially his own input.
I remember pouring over Lennon Remembers when I was a kid. The whole "the Beatles were just a rock and roll group" thing... I didn't understand how he could dismiss it. Also to say the only song he liked was "Help!" was kind of a stretch for me.

Realizing now, when those interviews were done- that whole "beatle" thing had to have a very, very sour air around him- I'd have been the same way.

If I could be a ****in' fisherman...

Mandoboy

The Hal Leonard 'Complete Scores' book shows it as a C#7/F.
Any theory geek worth his or her pocket protector can explain that one :Devil
From a pitch basis of C# you'd call the 3rd in the bass an E#.

And no 7th- C# triad w/ E# in bass. Even if Hal Leonard says so. That book isn't 100% correct.

Call if F if you want to! Sounds like an E# either way.

Last edited:

drewl

You're not allowed to call it an "F" in that key:rotflmao

Definitely one of my favorite songs also, Lennon just kind of said it was a "throwaway" song...

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
You're not allowed to call it an "F" in that key:rotflmao

Definitely one of my favorite songs also, Lennon just kind of said it was a "throwaway" song...
If I had a tenth of the talent Lennon used to write his "throwaways..."

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Rumor has it that Joe Walsh was able to copy both parts on one guitar.
Not that hard with a bit of practice. I used to see guys come into the store I worked in when the song came out and just rip through it. Better yet one guy came in and played the keyboard solo in In My Life on the guitar.

The measure in question sounds like the guitar that's playing the descending phrase is simply playing Abm; AbmM7/G; Abm7/F#; C#9/E#

Ogre

The "chord" is G#m6 with the minor 6 (F) in the root. The implied chord is C#9, which is identical(except the root) to G#m6. Great song!

Poppa Stoppa

What a great record that is. I heard that the title was aimed at Keith Richards in reference to Marianne Faithfull. Don't know how true that is.

trainwrecker

Thanks for all the input guys.

I thought Lennon's quote on that song was "another horror", and songs like "I'll Cry Instead" he called throwaways. In any event he was down on a lot of the Beatles' material for awhile. It's funny that to this day, after I don't know how many thousands of listens, I can still get enjoyment from their music. Amazing stuff, and I feel fortunate to have lived during that time.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
There is a version of that song where John and Paul try to sing but are so high they can't sing without giggling...it's pretty funny. In that version they use an F full dim 7 on that chord. They changed it by the master take.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom