1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anders Osborne guitar pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KingsHighway79, May 21, 2011.

1. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

Hi

I think Anders Osborne have a cool sound going on here in the end of the clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xueGw5aaX28

does anyone know what kind of pickups he uses in every position?

it looks to me that he use some kind of Seymor Duncan in the middle position
    but I don't know which one.

I am thinking of getting some hotter pickups for my strat so I can get these kind of tones too

I really like this type of tone and players like Tab Benoit, Greg V, Black Crowes, Ronnie Earl, Mato Nanji, and I only have one guitar, a strat,
    so it would be fun to be able to get much more different tones than only 3 regular stratpickups..

I try not to use pedals, but in this clip it sounds like he have some type of OD box...

2. imastratoholic

imastratoholic Supporting Member

I talked to him after a show, and he said that there was a sd hotrail in the middle position. I imagine he uses the mid position when slide soloing.

3. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

thankx man! I really dig his super reverb tone.. sounds great.. I have a strat I will try the same setup with.. The distortion sounds great, I wonder which OD he uses..

4. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

I checked those hotrails up, they don't have the same look..

it's either the Little 59, lil screamin demon, or the JBjr

ANyone?

5. jdandry

jdandry Member

Not sure what pickups he uses but I did sound at Anders' sisters wedding years ago!

6. meterman

meterman Supporting Member

Anders is great, just found out about him last summer and have seen him live four times since then. Great songwriter and wicked guitarist with massively good tone...

7. tx-62

tx-62 Member

Looks and sound like Lil 59 to me, deffo not hot rails, tho can be the JB jr. as well, since its called "single-coil-size "rails" humbucker" so maybe thats the rails word that refer to Anders when he said he is using rails. and it is not Li'l screaming demon since one of the side in that pickup don't ave bolts and Anders pickup have bolts on both side.

no?.....

8. jmoose

jmoose Member

Anders is a monster... the real deal. And about as non-technical as it gets.

One of the bands I work for has done several gigs with him over the years, usually back to back sets and I can't recall seeing stompboxes in his rig... maybe just a tuner. Go back a few years when he had the tuba player (4 years ago?) and I remember the guitarist in the band & I looking over HIS pedal board. Lots 'o pedals for a tuba!

The middle pickup is his Strat is real low... like flush with the pickguard to keep it out of his way. But all he really needs is an amp with some reverb and the ability to turn it WAY up. Serious stage volume.

One show I remember him playing a Marshall half stack and it went down mid-song... he plugged into a silverface Twin, one of the master volume ones w/JBL's that we left on stage after our set and I swear his tone didn't change much.

9. meterman

I agree, total monster player singer and writer! Coming next Saturday to an outdoor festival here, can't wait!!

As for pedals, the last few times I've seen him in a bar setting he had a decent size board, tuner, delay, his main dirt pedal was a AC Booster + and I think he was using a Fulltone Catalyst the first time I saw him, had more of a fuzz tone. There may have been something else too, can't remember....He's using boutique amps now too, Category 5 stuff similar to his Bassman/Marshall halfstack rig

10. tx-62

tx-62 Member

Can you pls get a photo of hes board, i never got chance to see him in my country :( and i am very curious about hes pedalboard.

11. laughingsam

laughingsam Member

just wanted to chime in that i love anders! so much raw energy in his playing these days. so glad he got out of his addiction and turned it into rawk!!

he's also been using a goldtop lately for some of the newer tunes.

12. imastratoholic

I saw him again this past weekend. I can't say enough about how awesome he is. Here are a few pics from the show.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. tx-62

tx-62 Member

dang on the first one i only see the wah and the tc electronic tuner prolly since is white.... do you have more pictures with hes pedalboard on them maybe? :)

14. imastratoholic

Sorry man, from where I was that was the best I could get.

15. tx-62

tx-62 Member

It's ok mate lets keep it fresh so maybe someone will post that pedalboard shoot :) i am curious cuz on some videos on youtube i hear that fuzz sound but still not refined like the fuzz face should be..it is more like on the border between fuzz and distorzion i just want to identify that pedal, for others i just hear overdrive and delay wah here and there that's all :)

16. THebert

THebert Member

17. laughingsam

laughingsam Member

i know he was playing a twin reverb and had a marshall. the marshall did his gain and the twin was his clean. i think a lot of what he does is with his volume knob (with his amps at full blast - he's up there with dino jr in terms of loud as hell bands).

this said, he does seem to have gotten some new toys (for the sticky fingers gigs, i presume) somewhat recently. i wasn't abloe to get close enough to see his pedals when he came through here a month or two ago, though.

18. meterman

I thought it was fuzz too but I've heard him in a club get that tone when engaging the second stage of the AC Booster Plus, no fuzz on the board. He plays loud as hell and really pushes his amps so I think that fuzziness is a combination of the pedal plus amps and speakers being pummelled, kind of like Neil Young's tone. Although, after owning a Fulltone Catalyst and knowing that he used one briefly, I do think I hear some of that gritchy fuzz on the American Patchwork record...

Anders plays tomorrow at a big free outdoor festival here, can't wait!!! 3rd year in a row I've seen him there. First time was with Stanton Moore, Robert Walter, and George Porter Jr!!! Hard to top that....

19. laughingsam

laughingsam Member

it'll have to be later tonight, but if anyone wants some sendspaces of his shows, i've got some.

20. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member